Roof Rack - which mounting system?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I live near a large lake that is popular for kayaking and boating. Aside from the rental companies, who typically have vans or trailers, I can't recall anyone with more than 2 kayaks on a roof rack.
Shuttling is generally for river kayaking vs. lake kayaking.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Shuttling is generally for river kayaking vs. lake kayaking.
I used to live on a major river in Oregon and rentals w/shuttles for kayaks and especially inner tubes was a big business.

They do exist for lakes, as well. Not so much to move people between drop-off/pick-up but rather the owner will bring their rental fleet to the lake on the trailer, then rent out at the dock area, the drive it back to their home or storage unit in the evening. Popular for paddle boards, too.

kayaker

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
truck
Occupation
software engineer
I live near a large lake that is popular for kayaking and boating. Aside from the rental companies, who typically have vans or trailers, I can't recall anyone with more than 2 kayaks on a roof rack.

Do you have a picture of such a rack that is intended for personal use?

Keep in mind that the R1T has a bed with crossbar mounts, as well... So you could easily carry 2 full-size kayaks on the roof, 2 shorter ones on the bed crossbars, and 2 more sticking out of the bed, itself.

But if you regularly carry 6-10 kayaks, I'd think a trailer with a rack solution would be the best option.
Here's an example of 6 boats on a Subaru. The bars are extra long, but if the boats are secured properly this is fine at highway speeds.
A trailer is much less than ideal for the poor road conditions that are regularly encountered getting to put-in and take-outs.
Rivian R1T R1S Roof Rack - which mounting system? IMG_20210304_153229

Zeppelinpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Optima
Here's an example of 6 boats on a Subaru. The bars are extra long, but if the boats are secured properly this is fine at highway speeds.
A trailer is much less than ideal for the poor road conditions that are regularly encountered getting to put-in and take-outs.
IMG_20210304_153229.jpg
My Outback had the longest bars Yakima would make. I worked on the Ocoee and THIS is par for the course. Safe lines bud.

Sponsored

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
With reference to the 160# weight limit on the roof racks, is that per roof rack or spread over two racks?

kayaker

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
truck
Occupation
software engineer
With reference to the 160# weight limit on the roof racks, is that per roof rack or spread over two racks?
Good question, I didn't think to ask. If it's 160# each then they should be good for whitewater kayaking

wilderaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT, Honda Odyssey, Cadillac Lyriq
I remember at one point they had mounts for the Crossbars IN the bed, so that the cover could slide over the bars and conceal them.

I asked customer service about this because It became clear that was not an option anymore. They confirmed that the bars can only be secured to the top of the cab, or the bed rails. Not IN the bed.

Then I confirmed they could be locked, and I was told they we lockable.

I for one, will still be taking my racks off (since its so easy!) whenever they are not in use. Since I plan on getting the camp kitchen, I guess I am just gonna keep the racks in the bed under the cover.
It's a shame that they dropped the functionality of having crossbar mounts in the bed. I was looking forward to transporting my bikes that way to keep them out of the wind. Between this and the many changes to the tailgate (non electric, no 180 degree, no seat, no foot pegs) the vehicle is becoming less and less practical.
Sponsored