Roof Rack - which mounting system?

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I'd send in the info to customer support but I don't think I can take another non answer. And I am an optimist. Jokes aside, I would be shocked if their product doesn't hit this limit. If it doesn't, I am 100% sure Thule or others will make this product (they make it for other vehicles).
I think I asked about this about a month ago and got the non-answer, but I think it is low risk.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Close, I think.

There is a static weight limit, which I think you are talking about, and a dynamic (driving) limit.

My particular tent has a weight rating of 8-900 pounds for static load, but it is a 4 person tent (comes out to slightly larger than a queen when open).

The third factor is the weight limit of the roof rails, which really is only limited by dynamic load limit as to that part.

Here, I have 0 doubt the Rivian will take a much higher static and tynamic load limit (the battery gives it a much lower center of gravity vs an ICE, which will vastly improve the dynamic load limit).

I'd send in the info to customer support but I don't think I can take another non answer. And I am an optimist. Jokes aside, I would be shocked if their product doesn't hit this limit. If it doesn't, I am 100% sure Thule or others will make this product (they make it for other vehicles).
You and Mreda are correct. I was thinking in terms solely of the static load, the maximum sustainable weight of everything on the rails at rest. I can only believe (I, too, am an optimist) that they have worked this out to the point of having it over-engineered to prevent failure.

Regarding other providers, I have a combination of Thule and Yakima gear and have always found a way to safely attach everything without ever having a problem. I’d bet Rivian will have this gear wired in really, really well.

That said, it would be really nice to have CS give us some hard details, dates and numbers... I won’t hold my breath waiting.?

Zeppelinpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Optima
I hope the crossbars can be "locked" in place so they cannot be easily stolen.
I remember at one point they had mounts for the Crossbars IN the bed, so that the cover could slide over the bars and conceal them.

I asked customer service about this because It became clear that was not an option anymore. They confirmed that the bars can only be secured to the top of the cab, or the bed rails. Not IN the bed.

Then I confirmed they could be locked, and I was told they we lockable.

I for one, will still be taking my racks off (since its so easy!) whenever they are not in use. Since I plan on getting the camp kitchen, I guess I am just gonna keep the racks in the bed under the cover.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I remember at one point they had mounts for the Crossbars IN the bed, so that the cover could slide over the bars and conceal them.

I asked customer service about this because It became clear that was not an option anymore. They confirmed that the bars can only be secured to the top of the cab, or the bed rails. Not IN the bed.

I for one, will still be taking my racks off (since its so easy!) whenever they are not in use. Since I plan on getting the camp kitchen, I guess I am just gonna keep the racks in the bed under the cover.
I have crossbars on my current vehicle (locking) and I leave them installed on my roof all the time. I would rather that than have them bounce around inside the bed or gear tunnel.

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
I think I asked about this about a month ago and got the non-answer, but I think it is low risk.
Thanks, M. I am kind of giving up on asking at this point. The last time I was asking about cold weather stuff, they said, really, really soon now, and then a few days later the video came out. It and the story didn't answer all my questions, but some.

So, I have drawn the conclusion that Rivian is going to answer things on their timeline, not ours. I think order cancellation en masse is the only thing that could modify that, not our emails. Even then, I doubt it, because Amazon is an investor AND (essentially) an anchor customer. Seems to me of the (three?) lines on the plan, one will always produce Amazon vans.

That is all fine; I am not willing to cancel my order yet, but I also am not going to spend any more time emailing or calling them. Maybe that is my personality: when I get the hint, I just get binary -- if I don't get enough info, as some point I will cancel; if I get that info at some point, I won't cancel.

The question becomes, when is that point, and when is that point for enough other customers that it could modify Rivian behavior. I don't know the answer to either of those right now.

Sponsored

Zeppelinpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Optima
I have crossbars on my current vehicle (locking) and I leave them installed on my roof all the time. I would rather that than have them bounce around inside the bed or gear tunnel.
Are you as dumb as me though? Are you buying an all electric pick up while living in an apartment in NYC, with no place to charge it at home or at work? Will you be parking it outdoors in a major metropolitan area? :clap::CWL:

I already had one set of locked crossbars removed from my car via crowbar while living in Brooklyn. I have a private outdoor parking spot now and feel much better about it. But it isn't great.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Are you as dumb as me though?
Depends who you ask. I've been told I'm the smartest person some people have met, and I've been told I'm the dumbest mother-f-er that others have met. So by the law of averages, I'm probably in the middle.

Are you buying an all electric pick up while living in an apartment in NYC, with no place to charge it at home or at work?
No place to charge at my work, but I will install an EVSE at my home.

Will you be parking it outdoors in a major metropolitan area?
Regularly, yes. My company is located "downtown" in a major city and parking is either paid street parking $$, paid outdoor lots $$$, or paid garages $$$$. I also frequent downtown for shopping and dining with my wife. Overnight parking most nights will be in my private garage, although we'll park in hotel garages/lots when we travel.

I already had one set of locked crossbars removed from my car via crowbar while living in Brooklyn. I have a private outdoor parking spot now and feel much better about it. But it isn't great.
New York thieves are among the most aggressive in the USA, afaik.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

I wonder if there’s enough vertical space in the gear tunnel such that one could install some brackets on the ceiling of the gear tunnel to store the crossbars, and yet still have room for the camp kitchen?

Zeppelinpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Optima
I wonder if there’s enough vertical space in the gear tunnel such that one could install some brackets on the ceiling of the gear tunnel to store the crossbars, and yet still have room for the camp kitchen?
I would be shocked if that was the case.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Rivian-specific for the racks/bars themselves, but should be compatible with third party accessories to mount on them.
Exactly. In the cold weather progress report video, one of the trucks has a Yakima LoadWarrior on it.

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Depends who you ask. I've been told I'm the smartest person some people have met, and I've been told I'm the dumbest mother-f-er that others have met. So by the law of averages, I'm probably in the middle.
Haha engineer-minded folks doing social interaction analysis right there.

kayaker

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
truck
Occupation
software engineer
The answer I got from chatting with support is that the static weight limit is 700 lbs and the dynamic weight is 160 lbs. Not as much as I would have hoped. Loading up kayaks for shuttle would typically exceed 160 lbs

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The answer I got from chatting with support is that the static weight limit is 700 lbs and the dynamic weight is 160 lbs. Not as much as I would have hoped. Loading up kayaks for shuttle would typically exceed 160 lbs
How much load are you putting in your kayaks? Don't they typically weigh in the ballpark of 60lbs each? Seems that two kayaks is the most you could put on the crossbars, physically, and you're still well-within their load limit.

kayaker

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
truck
Occupation
software engineer
How much load are you putting in your kayaks? Don't they typically weigh in the ballpark of 60lbs each? Seems that two kayaks is the most you could put on the crossbars, physically, and you're still well-within their load limit.
It's not unusual to have 6 kayaks on a roof rack for shuttle (from take-out to put-in). so at 40-45lbs each that's ~250lbs. In an extreme situation I've seen 10 kayaks tied on a roof rack, but I wouldn't want to do that for more than just the shuttle with that kind of load. I'm looking forward to seeing the bars in person to see how well they will support overloading, or will I need to come up with an alternative roof rack.
PFDs and other gear should fit in the frunk, and of course, with the R1S, there's plenty of passenger space for the paddlers. This is the first EV that is a capable vehicle for kayaking, and it seems to be ideal.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It's not unusual to have 6 kayaks on a roof rack for shuttle (from take-out to put-in). so at 40-45lbs each that's ~250lbs. In an extreme situation I've seen 10 kayaks tied on a roof rack, but I wouldn't want to do that for more than just the shuttle with that kind of load. I'm looking forward to seeing the bars in person to see how well they will support overloading, or will I need to come up with an alternative roof rack.
PFDs and other gear should fit in the frunk, and of course, with the R1S, there's plenty of passenger space for the paddlers. This is the first EV that is a capable vehicle for kayaking, and it seems to be ideal.
I live near a large lake that is popular for kayaking and boating. Aside from the rental companies, who typically have vans or trailers, I can't recall anyone with more than 2 kayaks on a roof rack.

Do you have a picture of such a rack that is intended for personal use?

Keep in mind that the R1T has a bed with crossbar mounts, as well... So you could easily carry 2 full-size kayaks on the roof, 2 shorter ones on the bed crossbars, and 2 more sticking out of the bed, itself.

But if you regularly carry 6-10 kayaks, I'd think a trailer with a rack solution would be the best option.
Sponsored