First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
This would not surprise me, in fact I was shocked to see it in the FAQs.

I didnt mention it before, the other thing that scares me is the complexity of a removable roof. Seals, noise, etc... Its the first vehicle from a new manufacturer, KISS.
I'm getting more exited about the non electrochromic roof after reading that the price may drop by 7K! I'm in FL, so my choice by default is the reg roof [ unless I see it in person and it changes my mind].
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Another factor for me will be delivery timeframe, which is config-based. If the electrochromic glass leads to earlier delivery, I might go that route solely for that reason.

Plus, it is a cool "party trick"/wow factor.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Living in Arizona in the desert, definitely a fixed metal roof for me. I already own a convertible for the nice winter days when I want to have the open sky above me. I also think removable will be problematic for damage and leaks.

OP
OP
JeremyMKE

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
If the electrochromic glass leads to earlier delivery, I might go that route solely for that reason.
Yeah I am trying to be careful with that, depending on options I gotta decide if this is a 10 year vehicle or a short term lease. If its a buy then bigger battery, and if the roof is $$$$ then it falls by the wayside and I will wait longer for delivery.

I am inclined to buy but this is a first gen vehicle, I might want the newer one in three years and a lease is a guaranteed way out.

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If the electrochromic roof turns as blue as in the videos I've seen, I'm not sure I'd find it very appealing and might prefer normal "tinted" glass as found in my current Volvo or the tried and true metal roof. Not really interested in changing the color of the world, just reducing glare and greenhouse effect. Will have to wait and see exactly what they offer.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
If the electrochromic roof turns as blue as in the videos I've seen, I'm not sure I'd find it very appealing and might prefer normal "tinted" glass as found in my current Volvo or the tried and true metal roof. Not really interested in changing the color of the world, just reducing glare and greenhouse effect. Will have to wait and see exactly what they offer.
I believe the color itself can be changed as well. I too want the details, and hopefully some temperature testing/comparisons between the roof options!

I will say though, if the truck can keep the cabin cool in 118 degree heat while towing 11K, then maybe we shouldn't be concerned.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I will say though, if the truck can keep the cabin cool in 118 degree heat while towing 11K, then maybe we shouldn't be concerned.
I've had the same thought.

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
I live in Oz. Fixed standard roof all the way. Its going to be expensive enough as it is, when I take into account the import taxes, the EC roof is just another thing to break... plus draw current...

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I live in Oz. Fixed standard roof all the way. Its going to be expensive enough as it is, when I take into account the import taxes, the EC roof is just another thing to break... plus draw current...
Electrochromatic glass only draws power when changing color on the order of 5 watts per square meter.

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
Electrochromatic glass only draws power when changing color on the order of 5 watts per square meter.
The current draw might be small but its still just a gimmick. Not interested in it.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
How do you like the wizard ?

GMK83

First Name
Guerin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (preorder)
I’ll be going with the EC roof. Boeing has been using the technology on the Dreamliner for years now without significant issue. They did make a change where early Dreamliners only got semi-dark like it appears the direction Rivian has gone from the clips, but later changed to a near blackout option on current Dreamliners.

JeepersAlley

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Mod 3, 23 Ford Lightning, 23 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Semi Retired
Wow! This is the first I’m hearing about some type of removable roof panels. I love love love it! I’m driving a Jeep Gladiator until the Rivian comes out and the loss of the open air driving, was my main regret. Now I have no regrets. Bring it on Rivian, you’ll design a great removable roof option, I’m sure.
Sponsored