Sponsored

Roof Options - What is your preference?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
No mention of the electrochromatic option with today’s news, only the glass panoramic roof.

I wonder if this means we will never see it.
Not sure, and I noticed the same.

But I chatted with support & she said the panoramic roof would change transparency based on amount of sunlight.
Sponsored

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Not sure, and I noticed the same.

But I chatted with support & she said the panoramic roof would change transparency based on amount of sunlight.
Interesting. Maybe they’re one in the same.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting. Maybe they’re one in the same.
She said that all details should be available in the configurator, so at least we don't have to wait long.

Last edited:

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
From four options (panoramic, metal, electrochromic and t-top) to one at launch and a 2nd in 6 more months. Not well done, we don't want a panoramic roof.
Boo, Rivian.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From four options (panoramic, metal, electrochromic and t-top) to one at launch and a 2nd in 6 more months. Not well done, we don't want a panoramic roof.
Boo, Rivian.
I think you can delete standard "options" that come with packages. I confirmed that's the case with R1S Launch edition & 7 seats... Adventure says 5 or 7, and Launch only says 7 (comes standard) but you can delete 3rd row..

Last edited:

Sponsored

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
I think you can delete standard "options" that come with packages. I confirmed that's the case with R1S Laumch edition & 7 seats... Adventure says 5 or 7, and Launch only says 7 (comes standard) but you can delete 3rd row..
That would be good. We'll find out Monday. :)

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Boo, Rivian.
It appears to be very light glass. I definitly would have to get the darkest tint possible to survive the intense sun here in the Phoenix Valley and the rest of the state for that matter. If I get the launch addition that is exactly what I will have to do.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It appears to be very light glass. I definitly would have to get the darkest tint possible to survive the intense sun here in the Phoenix Valley and the rest of the state for that matter. If I get the launch addition that is exactly what I will have to do.
While from me you have a :like:. The Panoramic was likely to be our first choice.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
While from me you have a :like:. The Panoramic was likely to be our first choice.
So, did the R1T in the rally had this panoramic sunroof, or did they have an electrochromatic one?... I recall Emme saying that the roof got darker and she didn't experience any extra heat from the roof.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So, did the R1T in the rally had this panoramic sunroof, or did they have an electrochromatic one?... I recall Emme saying that the roof got darker and she didn't experience any extra heat from the roof.
I'm guessing that was the pano. I was told by Rivian support that the pano glass roof will automatically get darker based on the amount of sunlight.

Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
To change it would need to be. You would think Rivian would make that clear. I don't think it would be a low cost standard item. I know Mercedes had that as an option some years ago.
This quote is from Mercedes in 2012 for their SLK.

MAGIC SKY CONTROL

While the standard roof panel is made of body-color polycarbonate plastic, an optional Panorama Roof features a tinted see-through panel. The roof is also available with MAGIC SKY CONTROL, in which the tinting of the transparent glass panel can be controlled by the driver or passenger. In an instant, a button on the overhead console can change the roof panel from transparent to heavily tinted.

This roof uses electrochromic technology similar to automatic dimming mirrors, but can be controlled by the occupants. Sandwiched between two layers of glass, a chemical film called a matrix polymer holds oblong nano particles that line up uniformly when electrical current is applied, allowing light to pass through. When the electrical current is turned off (via a button above the rearview mirror), the nano particles disperse randomly, reducing light and tinting the roof panel.

MAGIC SKY CONTROL was tested extensively before production, including in Death Valley, one of the world's hottest places with temperatures exceeding 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Measurements using a star pyranometer show that with MAGIC SKY CONTROL at its dark setting, the intensity of the sun's rays is only 1/20th of the original level.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
To change it would need to be.
It actually doesn't need to be electrochromic, it could be photochromic instead. Photochromic eyeglasses (aka "transitions" lenses) have been around for decades.

At Mill Valley I was told they weren't happy with the heat rejection characteristics of the electrochromic glass but were working on a solution. Don't know if this was their solution or if this is just the base offering and electrochromic will be revealed at a later date. Time will tell.

Personally, I think I might prefer photochromic.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
It actually doesn't need to be electrochromic, it could be photochromic instead. Photochromic eyeglasses (aka "transitions" lenses) have been around for decades.

At Mill Valley I was told they weren't happy with the heat rejection characteristics of the electrochromic glass but were working on a solution. Don't know if this was their solution or if this is just the base offering and electrochromic will be revealed at a later date. Time will tell.

I'm all for that if it darkens enough. I don't believe eye glasses really did well with it especially for strong prescriptions but I'm getting off track.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sounds to me like it probably is photochromic & I agree I might like this better. Electrochromic is more expensive, and a cool "party trick" that I probably wouldn't use much.

The only downside is that on sunny cold days, you would lose some of the natural heat from the sun. But I believe electrochromic is naturally opaque & uses energy to make it clear, so not sure what the energy tradeoff might be between power to keep it clear vs just preconditioning the cabin when you need it.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer

I'll wait to see some reviewers and people with their thermo couplers to make my desicion if the electrochromatic roof is needed or not.
Sponsored