Roof leak in new R1S - water dripping out of the sun visor hole

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Rivian R1S quad motor
We finally took delivery of our R1S. Really enjoying the car, but I do have a troubling problem. Has anyone had something similar?

After a heavy rain, I backed the car out of the driveway, put it in drive and starting moving forward.... when a small river of water started pouring out of the headliner on the passenger side, coming out of the hole for the sun visor pivot. So somehow water is making its way into the car, pooling above the headliner, and then pouring out of that little hole - and quite likely making its way elsewhere as well.

I have an "urgent" service appointment in a four weeks (ugh!) though Rivian are working to expediate it. Non-urgent appointments are scheduled out through April. Sounds like San Francisco needs another Service Center or another shift.

Update: I also found this in the forum: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/r1s-roof-leak.15356/
Sponsored

Last edited:

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My name is Mike, and I have a (car) problem
I was in the SSF SC a few weeks ago, and a corporate tech (on rotation, helping expedite service in the SCs around the US) told me that you can drop into the service center if you see a problem that needs addressing asap. I thanked him for telling me this and also that I’d never abuse the privilege - but we’re heading into what looks like a wet winter in the bay area, so …

Tomorrow is NY Day, but if you can swing it, drive over on Tuesday morning and walk up to the counters and ask to see a lead tech. Tell them you have active water streaming into the cabin and Customer Service can’t get you an appt for a month.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
We finally took delivery of our R1S. Really enjoying the car, but I do have a troubling problem. Has anyone had something similar?

After a heavy rain, I backed the car out of the driveway, put it in drive and starting moving forward.... when a small river of water started pouring out of the headliner on the passenger side, coming out of the hole for the sun visor pivot. So somehow water is making its way into the car, pooling above the headliner, and then pouring out of that little hole - and quite likely making its way elsewhere as well.

I have an "urgent" service appointment in a four weeks (ugh!) though Rivian are working to expediate it. Non-urgent appointments are scheduled out through April. Sounds like San Francisco needs another Service Center or another shift.

Update: I also found this in the forum: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/r1s-roof-leak.15356/
Assuming you have a garage, park it there, plug it in, set to 60% and demand Rivian get you a rental. You can’t risk getting more water into the vehicle. Hopefully you can get this resolved quickly.

ibwatson

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Event Producer
I had this same problem with my R1T, after car washes the visor mounts would leak, as well as that small grill behind the driver camera in the center near the rear view mirror. It took them three full days in August, but they managed to fix it, and I haven’t had any problems since.

HeyEllwood

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y R1S
Occupation
Operations Analyst
It’s been raining here in the Bay Area and while I was getting our stroller out of the trunk the other day I noticed the roof panel soaking wet and the floor board and multiple times as well that were covered in water.

So it seems the roof is leaking somewhere and is pooling inside of the upper panel and than leaking. Not good and will most likely cause mold etc over time. Appointment set for January 30th. Hope it’s sooner. Ugh

Rivian R1T R1S Roof leak in new R1S - water dripping out of the sun visor hole IMG_4356

Sponsored

OP
OP

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Thank you for the advice mikehmb and Tim-in-CA. Your leak looks very serious HeyEllwood, and we seem to have the same 30 January appointment date.

I will of course put the car in the garage when it rains later this week - though not happy about displacing a fancier car to make room. And I will try to swing by the service center unannounced to beg for priority.

EzeE1o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda Pilot. 2018 MB E300. 2012 Acura TSX 6mt
Hmm I too picked up my S from SSF last week, but as far as I can tell I dont have any leaks. Will monitor for Sure.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Unfortunately this has happened on a couple vehicles. Maybe the seal around the glass roof?

I would insist on dropping it at the service center immediately. I would get a nice tarp and put over the roof to prevent water ingress.

Gr8smiles

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Dentist
Rainy day today. I also have Water dripping in through Driver side viser mounting hole. Made appointment for March 8, in Sacramento.

MailmanOdd

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This happened to my R1T. They replaced the "forehead" body panel between the windshield and the glass roof. My truck stopped leaking from the roof...but started leaking on the drivers side floor.

They fixed an "A/C drain leak" which stopped the water leaking on the floor, but now every window completely fogs up when I use the heat.

They might fix your problem but cause more. Just be hyper aware.

Sponsored

OP
OP

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you for the advice mikehmb and Tim-in-CA. Your leak looks very serious HeyEllwood, and we seem to have the same 30 January appointment date.

I will of course put the car in the garage when it rains later this week - though not happy about displacing a fancier car to make room. And I will try to swing by the service center unannounced to beg for priority.
Update:
I dropped the R1S at the South San Francisco Service Center. They said it might take 1-2 weeks, but called after around three days to say that the leak was fixed. It was. No leaks since.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Glad it worked out. Personally, if you have a leak, I would make sure your vehicle gets to service sooner than later. Although we didn't know about the leak before it took out our suspension compressor and possibly the rear BCM to the rear drive unit, maybe we could avoided this damage if we caught it sooner. We will see what the ultimate fix is and hopefully we get it back in less than a month.
Sponsored