Sponsored

RJ Hint's there may be a demand problem.....

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
One thing I would say about demand is I would rather be in Rivian's position with a pair of new and exciting models and a van all in largely untapped segments with a backlog of orders than a Tesla with a set of 4 models that have basically been the same cars they have been selling for 10 years. Not to mention a shrinking market share in some of it's largest markets.
This.

Plus RJ aint a doosh.
Sponsored

riviansmoke

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, RX350, Accord
I had preorders for 5 different vehicles, with the R1T my first choice. But the price increases and Tesla price cuts pushed me to grab a Y for the time being. I cancelled all of my other reservations except for the R1T, but donā€™t want to spend $90k on a truck at this time. Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only one. Iā€™m hanging onto my reservation for now in the hopes that I can grab a dual motor standard pack or that some downward price pressure occurs. It looks like the dual motor enhanced version is not compatible with the standard pack, which is unfortunate as that would be the version Iā€™d go with. Thereā€™s not enough price delta between the dual enhanced vs the quad, might as well go for the quad at that point.

Reactions: Rad

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
And even if it DOES come out this year, we're slowly transitioning to the point where people no longer think everything that Lord Elon produces is golden and everybody is just going to laugh at your stupid-looking, non-functional-as-an-actual truck vehicle when you roll up in it and deform all of the local asphalt anyway. I have no idea why anybody would be cross shopping it against actual trucks. CT's real competition is a Hummer H2. Or maybe a pair of Uggs or Spanx. Or a really cool TikTok video. Maybe a set of really long fake eyelashes.

What a complete and total piece of look-at-me crap.
I agree it's too much to be taken seriously as an actual vehicle. Most people aren't going to roll around in something looking like that.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I had preorders for 5 different vehicles, with the R1T my first choice. But the price increases and Tesla price cuts pushed me to grab a Y for the time being. I cancelled all of my other reservations except for the R1T, but donā€™t want to spend $90k on a truck at this time. Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only one. Iā€™m hanging onto my reservation for now in the hopes that I can grab a dual motor standard pack or that some downward price pressure occurs. It looks like the dual motor enhanced version is not compatible with the standard pack, which is unfortunate as that would be the version Iā€™d go with. Thereā€™s not enough price delta between the dual enhanced vs the quad, might as well go for the quad at that point.
LFP battery, which is what the standard pack is, cannot provide the power needed for the dual motor performance. R1 prices are highly unlikely to go down lower. You could possibly get the $3750 tax credit with the dual motor large pack.

riviansmoke

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, RX350, Accord
LFP battery, which is what the standard pack is, cannot provide the power needed for the dual motor performance. R1 prices are highly unlikely to go down lower. You could possibly get the $3750 tax credit with the dual motor large pack.
I agree with your logic, doubt the prices will come down and the LFP is limiting the performance. I do like the that the LFP can be charged to 100% and has a better longevity, that should help keep the values higher compared to the NMC batteries in the long run.

Iā€™m a little spoiled now with the Y performance, I really want the 3 or 3.5s truck. I canā€™t stand driving our 2 other gas cars. Even 4.5s seems too slow now, lol. I wonā€™t do anything until next year, will see how the landscape changes.

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I agree with your logic, doubt the prices will come down and the LFP is limiting the performance. I do like the that the LFP can be charged to 100% and has a better longevity, that should help keep the values higher compared to the NMC batteries in the long run.

Iā€™m a little spoiled now with the Y performance, I really want the 3 or 3.5s truck. I canā€™t stand driving our 2 other gas cars. Even 4.5s seems too slow now, lol. I wonā€™t do anything until next year, will see how the landscape changes.
Maybe the R2 is better for your needs? I canā€™t go back to the MYP, which Iā€™m selling. R1T blows it away.

riviansmoke

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, RX350, Accord
Maybe the R2 is better for your needs? I canā€™t go back to the MYP, which Iā€™m selling. R1T blows it away.
I did test drive the R1T, it was great! R2 may be okay, but will have to see the specs. Iā€™m not ruling out the R1, will see how things play out. Iā€™m also curious about the Macan EV, but similar to the R2 need to see the specs.

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
This isn't news.

TSLA and RIVN equity have both predicted slowness in demand going back to November 2021. Geez, what happened during that time? Geez, didn't the Federal Reserve state they were going to slow things down, even to a crawl or contract (that's what they mean by "some pain" if you didn't know)??

RIVN isn't immune to the slowdown, unless you get advice from a fanboy, same with TSLA. Tesla is cutting prices to offset that slowness, Rivian can't do that, that's not surprising either. How much more of an impact those juicy rate hikes will have near the end of the year when they're all baked into the system is anyone's guess, but it's not going to make things better for RIVN, TSLA, F, GM, etc etc.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
This isn't news.

TSLA and RIVN equity have both predicted slowness in demand going back to November 2021. Geez, what happened during that time? Geez, didn't the Federal Reserve state they were going to slow things down, even to a crawl or contract (that's what they mean by "some pain" if you didn't know)??

RIVN isn't immune to the slowdown, unless you get advice from a fanboy, same with TSLA. Tesla is cutting prices to offset that slowness, Rivian can't do that, that's not surprising either. How much more of an impact those juicy rate hikes will have near the end of the year when they're all baked into the system is anyone's guess, but it's not going to make things better for RIVN, TSLA, F, GM, etc etc.
Yeah people seem to forget this slowdown was by design. Making credit more expensive slows down borrowing, and slowing down borrowing contracts the money supply. That means less money flowing to businesses and less hiring which means less employees get paid. That means they have less to pay others. Most people aren't going to feel it but some, mostly luxury, industries are going to suffer.

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Yeah people seem to forget this slowdown was by design. Making credit more expensive slows down borrowing, and slowing down borrowing contracts the money supply. That means less money flowing to businesses and less hiring which means less employees get paid. That means they have less to pay others. Most people aren't going to feel it but some, mostly luxury, industries are going to suffer.
Exactly, it's all about the availability and cost of credit.

Sponsored

omsatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, Lexus ES350
Occupation
Physician
I have one curiosity on this....

If they have orders to fulfill well into 2024, then why does the website state new orders for R1T can expect to be filled in 1-4 months?
Cuz they're lying about filling orders in 1-4 months.

GA_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

If they have orders to fulfill well into 2024, then why does the website state new orders for R1T can expect to be filled in 1-4 months?
Because they aren't filling any of their existing orders for people who live more than a few hundred miles from an existing service center.
I ordered 2020-04-04 which would have been filled some time ago. But I live 65 miles outside of Missoula, and it's a long way to any service center. They won't even let me look at the R1 Shop, where if you live in the right places you can get one this month.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
This is the
Because they aren't filling any of their existing orders for people who live more than a few hundred miles from an existing service center.
I ordered 2020-04-04 which would have been filled some time ago. But I live 65 miles outside of Missoula, and it's a long way to any service center. They won't even let me look at the R1 Shop, where if you live in the right places you can get one this month.
Maybe accessing that part of the backlog will motivate them to build out that service network. Crossing fingers!

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
This is the
Maybe accessing that part of the backlog will motivate them to build out that service network. Crossing fingers!
They've currently got 36 new service stations "in the works", although at least of few of those will expand capacity in markets that already have something (e.g. 2 more in the Seattle area and 7 more in NY, NJ, CT). No idea how long that will take to build all of those, and they'll still have some big gaps, especially in the Southeast and upper plains and Rockies.

Headingley

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 35d
Occupation
Surgeon
Just like it was supposed to be last year and the year before and the year before that. Iā€™m not remotely worried about a vehicle that doesnā€™t have prices or final specifications even published yet.
And that is why you fail....Yoda
Sponsored