Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

Nice to have confirmation that the shutdown is happening earlier in Q2. I think the changes in Normal are laser focused on bringing down R1 costs and increasing efficiency. I'm still skeptical of the idea that they'll start producing R2 in Normal, but would be happy to be proven wrong.
So you think they’re blowing smoke? Why would they say it if they weren’t certain they could do it?
Sponsored

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Denver, CO near Rivian and Tesla service centers
Vehicles
Tesla
I must be missing something. I don't see how you can take one shift and make a completely different vehicle, then switch back to another for the other two shifts.
YES!!!! Announced on the R2 - R3 - R3X reveal: Production of R2 starts early 2026 in the existing Normal factory!!!

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Now I'm wondering why its still first half of 2026 if they already have a factory capable of building cars. A production line cant be setup in 1 year with deliveries starting 2nd half 2025?
Production lines take 12 to 36 months to set up and debug. An automotive line such as this would be a nightmare to bring up in 12 to 18 months.

Restricted Deliveries might start possibly end of 2025 - to employees for internal use and QC.

They learned their lesson on the R1 delivery estimates. They won’t make that mistake again. If they say 2026, they have a good reason.They know they need to ship ASAP, but it has to be a slam dunk out of the box. There’s no second chance with R2.

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
YES!!!! Announced on the R2 - R3 - R3X reveal: Production of R2 starts early 2026 in the existing Normal factory!!!
RJ said deliveries start in early 2026.

Sponsored

ryunited

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Agreed but if they can do their 2023 volume in fewer shifts while accounting for the shutdown/cutover that sounds like substantial progress.

I had the same instinct on wondering about early R2 production but have no idea what kind of flexibility that would require on the line.
Today was just as I'd hoped!

RJ gave everyone pretty much everything they wanted today. Just claps.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

this news from yesterday hits different today, huh? and makes a lot more sense.

we know demand for the R1 is waning. and if they intend to build the R2 in Normal, makes sense they dont need 3 shifts. so the 2 current shifts will focus on the EDV and R1 lines. they shut down will implement the production/product effiencies they've been talking about to the R1. and once the R2 line is ready they will likely hire another shift for that or do a combo of some hires and some shifting from the R1 and EDV.
Sponsored