jbssfelix

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3; Rivian R1S
Clubs

I must be missing something. I don't see how you can take one shift and make a completely different vehicle, then switch back to another for the other two shifts.
It's possible in automotive manufacturing, but highly unlikely with the R1/R2. They don't share the same architecture or chassis, so building the line to accommodate both would be stupidly expensive.

If they wanted to build the R2 at Normal, they'd likely take one of the lines down and retool it solely for the R2 (gasp...I wonder if that's what they're doing this summer lol jk). I believe there are three lines total...they could have one for each product. However, that approach also means reducing efficiency, as now you can only build to the max throughput of a single line, so if R2 is still in pilot mode, it would likely sit idle a lot.

My guess is the R2 will likely be "coachbuilt" until GA, and all line builds, pre-prod and prod, will happen there. That or Rivian will build a separate mini line for the R2 at Normal and builds will be a hybrid of a full assembly vs handbuilt until GA spins up.
Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Something is seriously amiss in GA. Here's video from March and nothing is going on. They've hit a brick wall for months now and it's not good. If development is stopped at clear/grub/grading, then they've had approvals revoked in some manner.

https://claycorp.com/project/rivian-manufacturing-plant

Last edited:

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

If demand continues to drop, they're going to magically increase production efficiency in Normal by so much that they "won't need" the GA factory. That's good, because it's expensive. They will put it on the back burner for another five years, is my prediction.
This would save them a ton of money overall. Build 50k R1's, 25k delivery vans, and 125k R2's. Boom, 200k per year production.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Something is seriously amiss in GA. Here's video from March and nothing is going on. They've hit a brick wall for months now and it's not good. If development is stopped at clear/grub/grading, then they've had approvals revoked in some manner.

https://claycorp.com/project/rivian-manufacturing-plant
What I see is a waterlogged construction site hindering any progress. The previous video showed a similar situation, but this is worse.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian to cut 1 of 3 shifts for R1 production at Normal plant, starting next month 1709782086966

mikef

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T dual
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Last fall I picked mine up from the factory and so got the tour. I asked about how production works. The guy said they run the EDV line as two 10-hour shifts and the R1 line as three 8-hr shifts.

When I hear they're cutting a 3rd shift, it could be the case they're going to 2x10s reducing 24 to 20 hours of production per day rather than cutting to 16.

That might be the case as well because the EDV production line was already revamped a few months ago so the upcoming shutdown might be bringing similar improvements to the R1 line so then 2x10s work better.

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Make take the savings and shift some attention to service capacity and expansion??

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I wonder if this is part of the equation (along with retool) to allow for pilot and/or light production of the R2? This EV space is becoming more dynamic in pricing and tech, and I simply don't think people are going to wait 24+ months for an R2....The delays in GA are brutal for Rivian.
Good guess Mark ;)

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Now I'm wondering why its still first half of 2026 if they already have a factory capable of building cars. A production line cant be setup in 1 year with deliveries starting 2nd half 2025?

Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Now I'm wondering why its still first half of 2026 if they already have a factory capable of building cars. A production line cant be setup in 1 year with deliveries starting 2nd half 2025?
I thought he said 2025...? He acted like the timeline was moved up. 2026 was the original, right?

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I think they are going with under promise and over deliver for a Q4 2025 delivery......

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y

RivRyan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, ID4
Occupation
consulting
I think some people are forgetting this is still a hand-assembled prototype. It's not just a matter of putting a bunch of auto-production machines in a line. They still have to design many of those machines, I'd bet.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
If demand continues to drop, they're going to magically increase production efficiency in Normal by so much that they "won't need" the GA factory. That's good, because it's expensive. They will put it on the back burner for another five years, is my prediction.
Rivian announced exactly this today.
Sponsored