First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Range for my R1T is 200-230 on 20" AT with temp set at 70F and outside temp between 35-50F. Average speed is 75-80+ mph on highway, All Purpose mode. The RIVIANs are pretty inefficient especially on hilly terrain.
Sponsored

clcbjc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tahoe and Z07
If I was paying the new RS1 MSRP I would pass and purchase the iX. The BMW is that good. At almost $30k less, I'll stick with my order and see for myself how the driving dynamics are.

05soxfan

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Self
Yes to all. My real life range in this truck has been far less than advertised. We drive in AP mode as Conserve only shows as 20 miles or so extra range. Also Conserve Mode for for my R1S feels like I'm constantly fighting to keep it centered in lane, regardless of speed.

We expressed these range and handling concerns to Rivian with no real answers other than stock responses regarding driving style, weather, wind, etc.

On the bright side we have a Service appointment set for March of 2023.

Test drove the iX last week. All I can say is, yup it's a BMW. However R1 and iX are apples and oranges. R1 are trucks. iX is more a crossover.

We did configure and place a deposit for an iX. Figure we have 6 months to a year to determine if we trade the R1S for it.

I want to love, heck even like my R1S, but our experience has not been exactly ideal.

Chiqaine

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2018 Audi S6, 2014 Triumph Bonneville SE
Yes to all. My real life range in this truck has been far less than advertised. We drive in AP mode as Conserve only shows as 20 miles or so extra range. Also Conserve Mode for for my R1S feels like I'm constantly fighting to keep it centered in lane, regardless of speed.

We expressed these range and handling concerns to Rivian with no real answers other than stock responses regarding driving style, weather, wind, etc.

Test drove the iX last week. All I can say is, yup it's a BMW. However R1 and iX are apples and oranges. R1 are trucks. iX is more a crossover.

We did configure and place a deposit for an iX. Figure we have 6 months to a year to determine if we trade the R1S for it.

I want to love, heck even like my R1S, but our experience has not been exactly ideal.
March 2023 was the soonest you were able to get a service appointment?!?!

Thanks for the honest, not so great, feedback...

Sponsored

05soxfan

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Self
Unfortunately yes. Chicago service center is pretty back logged and I guess our concerns are deemed to be minor.

I am hopeful that after the end of Q push for deliveries that our appointment will be moved up to a sooner date.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

To your point, and other reviewers about the S, it definitely seems like the T was the benchmark test bed for driving dynamics etc. The S, I personally feel will get more finely tuned as more data etc comes in, and that energy spent getting the T up to speed, is focused more heavily to the S.

Also, it's difficult to compare a truck and crossover as you touched on. The S is bigger in every physical measurement over the iX, so naturally it's going to be less efficient. The light at the end of the tunnel outside of hopeful driving refinements on the Rivian end, is RJ's recent interview touching on an OTA increasing vehicle efficiency and overall range.

Fingers crossed.

AdaminFlag

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model 3 LR, 2016 Ford Expedition
Clubs

This really sounds to me like you might have an alignment issue. I had a Tesla Model S that had it's front motor replaced a couple years back. I noticed a huge change in efficiency and immediately thought it was the new (refurb) motor. Tesla service did an alignment and swore up and down that the motor was fine...I did get probably half of my efficiency hit back after that alignment. Moral of the story - there could be multiple things going on here, but with your description of fighting to keep it centered in the lane I wouldn't be surprised if a big alignment issue is also massively impacting your efficiency.

05soxfan

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Self
Ok, wow never occurred to me that could be the issue. Appreciate the advice. I'll look into that.

OP
OP

Greg614

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (on order)

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Not off hand but I remember making a snarky comment that the author of this article seems like a jealous little bitch over SUV's they can't afford and the entire thing reeks of butthurt over it.
I don't think they are the same article. One was a review of the R1S. This one referenced above is a comparison of the R1S and the BMW iX.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

If I was paying the new RS1 MSRP I would pass and purchase the iX. The BMW is that good. At almost $30k less, I'll stick with my order and see for myself how the driving dynamics are.
I am a RIvianaholic from day 1 but I can't argue with this. BMW has been at the EV game since 2012. I went to the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas and sat in the BMW i3 and was blown away and I've been driving variens of the i3/s ever since.

They have over a 10 year head start on Rivian in terms of production, battery development, and materials. BMW mastered the art of CFRP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic) and Sandy absolutely fell in love with the i3 from a manufacturing standpoint. Called it the future and has grilled people like Elon Musk about why he isn't using BMW i manufacturing.

Sandy even gave away the detailed Monro findings for the i3 teardown for $10 bucks to anyone who wanted it (he usually sells these to manufacturers for hundreds of thousands if not more).

From a capability, ruggedness, and utility perspective, the R1 is the most exciting and practical choice, especially at the Pre-March 1 pricing.

But in terms of manufacturing, materials, refinement, luxury, battery development, and EV reliability (it took 8 years but they finally got there) - BMW is in a class of its own.

Last edited:

Jay565

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hyundai
Iā€™ve had the R1S for over a month. Iā€™ve sat in the iX and driven (as a passenger in it). The Rivianā€™s drive and handling is off the charts. The BMWā€™s handling is great too. The BMW has a lot of grandpa features, no I donā€™t want fake noise piped in, yes I want a frunk, no I donā€™t want to have to hit an ignition switch to turn on. The Rivianā€™s OS is updated constantly, the phone as a key works amazing, the frunk is priceless. This review from Car and Driver is clearly biased, they think the model X is antiquated? What? Did the even mention Rivian will blow away the ix in pure 0-60 speed and off road? I could really go on and on, but yeah the R1S is simply the greatest SUV on the road today.

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I've seen both, and the BMW is truly a god awful looking car. I would rather burn $100K than drive in it.
This so much, that iX front end is so ugly I just canā€™t get past it. Iā€™m sure itā€™s a nice car (and I do mean car, there is no ā€œutilityā€ in BMW SUVs). The infotainment is also terrible, but they do drive nice.
Sponsored