Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Someone already mentioned it, but if I'm in the garage and playing music through a bluetooth speaker, the truck definitely shouldn't be turning on and taking over the audio connection. I've seen a few reports of that happening.
Sponsored

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

This exact scenario gets my family to accuse me of losing my mind, but it’s conditioned after years of Tesla, and now the R1
LOL. Me too. Don't have my Rivian R1S yet, but I've been driving a model S since Feb 2014 so I'm conditioned to simply get out of the car, close the door and walk away. I can absent-mindedly think about other things.
At least twice when I was driving our other ICE car (BMW 4 series), I've gotten out of the car, closed the door and walked away while the engine was still running. My son is sure I've got early stage Alzheimers. LOL. Since the key fob was in my pocket, I don't know what would have happened if someone stole the car without having the key fob.

R1Tims

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E GTPE,
Occupation
Consultant
when sitting in the truck, in park, lock the doors. its a one point touch on the corner of the screen. This will do what you ask. no additional button needed.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Yes a hack. But not cumbersome. On my iPhone it’s swipe and tap. Exactly how long it would take me to grab your keys out of your pocket and push a fob button.

but I get it. I do agree if people want it but it doesn’t affect those that don’t then add the programming. I think in 3-5 years we will be at a spot of more trivial things but there are some daily things that are weird for a bit. But man I still love this vehicle. Lol
In my last car I never need to take the keys out of my pocket. A regression to that behavior (with a bulkier stupider phone) is not an improvement.

I'd love to be able to force things "off" so I don't need to go into the climate menu and turn it off and turn off my music so it doesn't randomly wake up and waste power or steal my spotify to start playing to nobody (though luckily that seems to mostly have stopped for me now after having a part replaced that was messing with sleep/wake behavior.) I don't need everything coming on like it's ready to go when I go get a bag out of the car that I forgot or something.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Best idea I have seen and I use it often. Turn off Bluetooth. I do this If I am going to be around the truck but don’t want it to turn on. Very fast and effective. Then when your done turn on Bluetooth.
Then you can’t use Bluetooth for anything. I play music over Bluetooth to my garage stereo. And my watch connects to my phone over Bluetooth.

turning off Bluetooth is not a valid workaround.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
LOL. Me too. Don't have my Rivian R1S yet, but I've been driving a model S since Feb 2014 so I'm conditioned to simply get out of the car, close the door and walk away. I can absent-mindedly think about other things.
At least twice when I was driving our other ICE car (BMW 4 series), I've gotten out of the car, closed the door and walked away while the engine was still running. My son is sure I've got early stage Alzheimers. LOL. Since the key fob was in my pocket, I don't know what would have happened if someone stole the car without having the key fob.
Here's an interesting one. Been mainly using PaaK plus key card in pocket. A loaner truck changes that with using the keyfob. Pulling out of the driveway yesterday morning for a day trip to the coast and, luckily, my wife asked if I want the keyfob (in the house). Well, of course! But the vehicle obviously didn't care that we were leaving without it.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
IlWhat other appliance or tool do you use on a daily basis you’d be happy assuming you want it on/off rather than pressing a button to command it?
In fairness to this question: my laptop, my desktop, my smartphone, smartwatch, refrigerator, bed (mine has temp controlled water coils), my shark vacuum and I’m sure there are some other pieces of tech that I don’t turn off ever. Some of these idk how to even turn off.

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Yes, three taps to turn off the truck is too much, especially when those virtual buttons change positions. This also doesn’t solve the issue of explicitly powering on the truck, only powering off.

I want to always explicitly tell the truck when to turn on and when to turn off. I don’t want to have to jump through menus to do so. It’s not convenient or intuitive to do so.

As I said, you don’t need an additional physical button for this. Add it to the existing Park button. Make it optional for folks like you who like the existing behavior.

I don’t think it’s crazy or too much to ask for this to be an option.
I totally understand. Everyone has all these methods but they don’t satisfy the issue. I’m right now sitting in my truck wishing the same thing over again since I’ve had it since last March. I just want to power everything down just while I wait. Screens, climate, music, sounds, especially when I’m working around/in and out of the truck at home. I don’t want to lock myself in, or turn off Bluetooth, or pretend I’m camping. The only solution is a power button.

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I don't want one nor need one.

Sponsored

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

That’s the thing I’m learning with electric car adoption, it’s more than just changing from gas use to electric and charging. You have to also accept, funky door handles, useless glass roofs that are not good as a roof nor a sunroof, complicated remote door access, no buttons, multiple taps to get stuff done, complex designs, always awake, sensors, subscriptions, etc. Its like the car is more in charge than you are. The way of the future is more complicated…and so we embrace.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That’s the thing I’m learning with electric car adoption, it’s more than just changing from gas use to electric and charging. You have to also accept, funky door handles, useless glass roofs that are not good as a roof nor a sunroof, complicated remote door access, no buttons, multiple taps to get stuff done, complex designs, always awake, sensors, subscriptions, etc. Its like the car is more in charge than you are. The way of the future is more complicated…and so we embrace.
That is objectively false, however.

Look at the Volvo XC40 Recharge. It's exactly like the ICE XC40, but it's an EV.

Rivian/Tesla are doing things differently... But traditional automakers are not.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I don't mind EVs trying to push the boundaries of the experience in a vehicle, but it does often feel some of these features are different for the sake of being different, not better.

No one has really been able to explain to me why your vehicle guessing or inferring your intentions without simple overridability is somehow better than explicitly commanding it. What is so difficult about pressing a button or a pedal to tell the truck to turn on? What is so objectionable about having the option to tell the truck to turn off with another button press?

Since it clearly bears repeating on every page of this thread, this would be an entirely optional feature, enabled via software and requires zero additional hardware. If you like your truck turning on and off without your consent go right ahead and ignore this optional feature.

And while we're on the subject, what is so difficult about touching the door handle, something you already have to do to open the door, to unlock the door? Now if I want to explicitly tell the truck when to lock/unlock I have to fish a phone, fob, or card out of my pocket and make contact or press a button all in addition to touching the door handle. If I don't like this my only alternative is to live with a proximity-based system that frequently locks and unlocks the truck when I do not want it to do so.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Quite simple, add a power button next to the lock/unlock on the center console. Make it only active when parked.

When getting in the vehicle, brake wakes up the vehicle just like it does now.

We've had the off button debate before on the forums, I really don't understand why people are against it. You do your truck your way and I will do it my way. Neither interfer with each other.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Quite simple, add a power button next to the lock/unlock on the center console. Make it only active when parked.

When getting in the vehicle, brake wakes up the vehicle just like it does now.

We've had the off button debate before on the forums, I really don't understand why people are against it. You do your truck your way and I will do it my way. Neither interfer with each other.
So if I don't "turn it off", then it would work like it does now...start waking up as soon as it senses my phone nearby? I don't want to wait 30 seconds or something like that for all the systems to come online when I touch brake. I want that stuff all ready as soon as I get in, Like it is now. If you all want to wait for systems to come up online, you do you...but I love the way it works now. I don't want it to be like my last Acura where I couldn't change radio stations till I was 30 seconds down road.
Sponsored