Sponsored

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
I'm a member of numerous Tesla forums/owners clubs and the amount of butthurt by Tesla stans is hilarious. Who cares, both stocks are overvalued.
Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Sorry, but that’s just dumb. It’s going to drop after the initial enthusiasm pushes the bubble. I think it’s overvalued by at least 3x.
I'm selling all my shares the day before the Q4 earnings call. I expect a big drop after that.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I'm selling all my shares the day before the Q4 earnings call. I expect a big drop after that.
I'm not refuting it, but curious what you think the catalyst from that call will be to hurt the stock price? Revenue, Earnings, Production, Orders?

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I'm not refuting it, but curious what you think the catalyst from that call will be to hurt the stock price? Revenue, Earnings, Production, Orders?
I think the number of deliveries is going to make some people weary, but also popular stocks like this tend to get pumped up before earnings and then people dump it no matter how good or bad it is. I think a lot of RIVN's value right now is due to people thinking it'll be the next Tesla and trying to get in while its low. Earnings reports for Q4 are usually in Feb., so wouldn't be surprised if RIVN is in the upper 200s low 300s by then.

LordUlhtred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
I think EVs companies got a good push from the passing of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law. It contains serious $ on EV charging infrastructure. I believe the EV momentum will go a bit longer due the likely passage of the “Build Back Better” bill which contains $ for purchasing of EVs. The EV stock price is likely reflecting the high likelihood of BBB passing. Not financial advice obviously but simply my guess in why the EV stocks has gone up like crazy recently.

Sponsored

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
Haha they'll be worth much less then! Look at the facts: companies that make a lot of cars aren't worth a lot. Companies that don't make a lot of cars (*cough*Tesla*cough*Rivian) are worth a lot! The trick is sadly to not make more cars
I was thinking more of where the stock could be after a rollercoaster ride of about a decade

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today. ?

Well that might not be the most relevant or satirical quip, it's been awhile since I've seen anyone quote Popeye. ?

What I really meant to say was and when that dip comes I'll gladly pick up more shares

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
I'll just keep moving my stop loss order up as the price goes up, but with a decent buffer. I kept it too close with tesla 2 years ago; still had a good gain but missed out on the real crazy runup. I also expect a large correction in the next few months but will take that as an opportunity.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I'll just keep moving my stop loss order up as the price goes up, but with a decent buffer. I kept it too close with tesla 2 years ago; still had a good gain but missed out on the real crazy runup. I also expect a large correction in the next few months but will take that as an opportunity.
Robinhood has a feature called "trailing stop sell", which lets you set a percentage of the highest trading price below which it will sell. For example, if the highest price is $170 and I set the trailing sell percentage at 10%, then my sell order will execute if the stock dips below $153 ($170 minus 10% of $170). The sell price climbs up as the stock climbs up, so that's one less thing for you to do. You can of course modify the percentage at any time.

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
Robinhood has a feature called "trailing stop sell", which lets you set a percentage of the highest trading price below which it will sell. For example, if the highest price is $170 and I set the trailing sell percentage at 10%, then my sell order will execute if the stock dips below $153 ($170 minus 10% of $170). The sell price climbs up as the stock climbs up, so that's one less thing for you to do. You can of course modify the percentage at any time.
That's what I did with tesla, but was a little too close and didn't get back in!

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
That's what I did with tesla, but was a little too close and didn't get back in!
Ahh gotcha. When you said you kept moving your stop loss order up I thought you were doing it manually - the trailing stop sell does it automatically for you.

I bought more shares of Rivian when it was ~$130 so I definitely want some protection on that initial investment. Currently have the trail limit at 14%, which I think is a generous enough buffer.

stumptown85

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, XC60, Dakota
Occupation
Engineer
Ford has had a P/E multiple higher than GM for over 5 years. It has nothing or very little to do with Rivian. Ford is valued more than GM by investors. They believe Ford's growth will outpace GM by a significant margin over the coming years. That's all it is.

Ford P/E is wonky because over 20% of their value is their RIVN holding........

stumptown85

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, XC60, Dakota
Occupation
Engineer
It's going to be pretty easy for analysts to sniff out a miss in deliveries before 24 hours before the earnings. At that point I expect a miss will already be priced in.

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today. ?

Well that might not be the most relevant or satirical quip, it's been awhile since I've seen anyone quote Popeye. ?
Actually, Popeye didn't say that. Wimpy said it. :)

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Anyone got their truck yet?
Sponsored