Sponsored

Rivian Membership..... It's January 16 so.......

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I saw that, but it says "and that Driver+ is standard in R1T and R1S". Doesn't that mean no added costs for Driver+?
I read that as, Driver+ hardware is included in every Rivian, the functionality between safety and autonomy can be separated to allow for further revenue streams without the need for additional hardware.
My take fwiw, is likely coloured by the fact I always got lost in the wordplay going on when they would describe Driver+ on their website over the last few years.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Membership..... It's January 16 so....... 1674058928814

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Membership..... It's January 16 so....... 1674058987448

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
My read is also the Driver + is simply "included" on R1 vehicles like "Basic Autopilot" on all Tesla vehicles. Perhaps it will be optional on the R2 line?

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
$20 missed reservation fee. For Rivian it's a win-win. They get revenue if people are there or not (probably more if they no show). Different conversation for us. Would be annoying for many users.

But a good compromise was mentioned earlier in letting a subset of the chargers be reserved. 2/6 or something similar.

I would 100% pay for being able to guarantee a charger when I'm driving with my 3 kids long distances.
a $20 no-show fee, plus you lose your ability to reserve for 1 month. You get 5 mins past your reserved start time and if you aren't there by then, someone else can jump in.
I don't think there's a perfect solution but I think it's workable with some reasonable pros and cons.

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
You'd have to limit reservations to no longer than say 30 minutes before your anticipated arrival, with hefty fines for being a no show (though not sure how you'd get around not having to charge). Or conversely, you reserve a time and the station locks out new sessions less than 15 minutes or so before then. I dunno.

If I'm the government, I would say reservations for only your brand vehicle are in bad faith and disqualify you for public funding. Because at some point, with enough MB EV's, an entire station could end up being reserved for the better part of an entire day and then it's literally not public anymore. Perhaps they will only allow one plug out of six to be reservable, for example. That would be fair.

Also, I wouldn't want to roll up to a station with a line of angry mobsters ready to bash my windows in because I reserved a charger and made them wait.
If only the public funding lever could be used to pressure Tesla into actually opening up their network with connectors (or adapters) & software compatible with existing CCS.
$20 missed reservation fee. For Rivian it's a win-win. They get revenue if people are there or not (probably more if they no show). Different conversation for us. Would be annoying for many users.

But a good compromise was mentioned earlier in letting a subset of the chargers be reserved. 2/6 or something similar.

I would 100% pay for being able to guarantee a charger when I'm driving with my 3 kids long distances.
Since we're throwing ideas out here, How about taking that $20 missed reservation fee another step.
Charge a fee - $20 or whatever - to initiate a reservation. non-refundable. Then allow that fee to be applied towards charging costs if the reservation holder shows up.
This all gets messy and complex, though. For example, if a person makes a reservation and shows up at the charge station to find it full with long-chargers and cannot make it to the charger within their designated reservation window... and so on.

Reality is that reservations are not likely in the near future and focus needs to be on building out the infrastructure and network (and getting Tesla to do more than symbolically open their network).

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
My read is also the Driver + is simply "included" on R1 vehicles like "Basic Autopilot" on all Tesla vehicles. Perhaps it will be optional on the R2 line?
Pretty sure based on website wording and other things said on social media, etc... any attempt to charge for what we have now, as referred to as Driver+, would result in a class action lawsuit.

Plus pretty sure that part about a camera looking at me and making sure I am not distracted, also doesn't work as advertised. I have tried to trigger it many times and it doesn't seem to care if I had been passes out slumped over....

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
In my 'reservation' scenario a charging reservation can only be made by a Rivian as a percieved benefit over the genral public if RAN is opened up to the public. I don't like a fee/penalty added here since it takes away from the perceived benefit. As most of you already know there is an active thread discussing membership a la carte benefits. The charging fee (or lack of) + the ability to reserve a charger ahead of time (something like a 10-15 minute window) would most likely be part of the membership options. Disclaimer- my opinion only and not based on anything I've read.
Will be interesting to see how Mercedes sets up their reservation system.
I agree with poster #95-
Reality is that reservations are not likely in the near future and focus needs to be on building out the infrastructure and network (and getting Tesla to do more than symbolically open their network).

Free charging at RANs ends in April- Any guesses on the costs? Assuming they will update the Riv app for charging pre enrollment

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Pretty sure based on website wording and other things said on social media, etc... any attempt to charge for what we have now, as referred to as Driver+, would result in a class action lawsuit.

Plus pretty sure that part about a camera looking at me and making sure I am not distracted, also doesn't work as advertised. I have tried to trigger it many times and it doesn't seem to care if I had been passes out slumped over....
The camera hasn't been enabled yet, hence the reliance on the touch sensitive steering wheel currently

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT

From what I've read (won't have my R1T till Fri Jan 20th) no one would pay for Driver + at it's current stage of development anyway. If they're expecting any meaningful revenue stream from the current iteration of Driver + they're in for a rude awakening.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
The camera hasn't been enabled yet, hence the reliance on the touch sensitive steering wheel currently
Oh, that camera is definitely active... Not for allowing hands-free just yet, but the camera is defiantly on and generating driver gaze confidence values.

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Oh, that camera is definitely active... Not for allowing hands-free just yet, but the camera is defiantly on and generating driver gaze confidence values.
For sure it is, just not something the end user is able to utilize yet.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
For sure it is, just not something the end user is able to utilize yet.
I thought I have read about its functionality. No "comming soon" wording. So in the unfortunate event of an accident, doesn't that open them up to liability?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
From what I've read (won't have my R1T till Fri Jan 20th) no one would pay for Driver + at it's current stage of development anyway. If they're expecting any meaningful revenue stream from the current iteration of Driver + they're in for a rude awakening.
They can just use the Tesla playbook and put out some faked videos:

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-engineer-testifies-self-driving-video-from-2016-w-1849996739

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-fsd-causes-8-car-pile-up-on-sf-bay-bridge-1849970615

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

100%, but telling to anyone expecting something more from them in the immediate future.

It also confirmed they would make driver+ subscription based in a round about way. I think the next OTA or two may be a bit more telling of what we can expect. Say dash cam functionality is behind a pay wall for instance.
You can ignore Rivian's marketing weasel-speak and go straight to their S-1 that they filed with the SEC when they went public. Rivian expects to charge customers $10k over ten years for improved ADAS. "Driver+" will be the standard safety features that come with every vehicle. "Driver+ Enhanced" or whatever silly name they come up with will include the upgrades needed to bring the Rivian ADAS up to speed with everyone else's. They also plan on charging $5500 over ten years for, "infotainment, connectivity, diagnostics, and other services." We'll start seeing improvements to the aforementioned features once Rivian finishes the backend to manage the provisioning and monthly billing. Everything is going behind a paywall. Expect a $50-$125 monthly charge to get the most (dashcam, hands free ADAS, traffic, interior RGB lighting, RAN charging, LTE, Satellite Maps, Etc.) out of your Rivian. I don't like it but it's the way of the world. And to Rivian's credit, they were upfront about if from the start (if you were willing to dig through their S-1 :rolleyes: .)

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt

My take on it is Rivian marketing department was told to come up with some wording to jazz up Driver+, and make the customer feel their getting something for nothing.
Sponsored