First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I asked my guide directly.. and I asked regarding whether or not Rivian would support homelink style garage door openers...

This was her response.

It has been a while since we last spoke so I’m super happy to hear from you and hope you are doing well! I can’t wait for November to get here so you can begin your adventures in the R1T (and I will be expecting pictures of all the awesome places you go).

These are all really great questions and I have forwarded them to the appropriate teams for additional information.

Regarding HomeLink, we will have Alexa integration. Our Alexa functionality is different because in a Rivian, Alexa can control physical vehicle functions such as HVAC, windows, opening and closing the front trunk, and more. Users will be able to check on their gear remotely by accessing the vehicle’s bed camera from anywhere via Alexa Fire.

The integration also allows Rivian to provide new “car-to-home” and “home-to-car” skills unique to its vehicles, as well as access to certain Alexa features when the vehicle is offline. An example: “Alexa, is my Rivian charging?”

What I can also share at this time is that in addition to the in-vehicle infotainment system, Rivian will be offering a mobile app with many features designed to make your ownership experience seamless and unique. Though I don’t have exact timing on when we will be sharing this information, I do know that the teams have put a lot of thought and effort into creating a user-friendly experience and we are definitely listening to our community’s wants and needs!

We will be releasing a lot of information in the coming weeks as we are launching, but I will follow up when I get more answers to your specific questions. I’m glad you reached out, Gordon, and hope you are staying safe with all the wildfires currently. I have been keeping all my California people in my thoughts. If there’s anything I can help you with in the meantime, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Your Rivian Guide,

So basically they referred my question about lighting to the appropriate team and were getting Alexa for garage door opening ?
I can see it going over real well if people have to have an Alexa enabled garage door in order to be able to open your garage door from your Rivian... ?‍♂
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I can see it going over real well if people have to have an Alexa enabled garage door in order to be able to open your garage door from your Rivian... ?‍♂
Which also means internet connectivity. This may be problematic for people with remote cabins, gated communities, or parking garages. You may not have internet connectivity near your garage door opener, and you may not have access/permission to add hardware to a shared gate you don't own.

I have a "smart" garage door opener. It's nice to be able to check if I left the garage door open when I get a block away and wonder "did I forget to close it?" It's also nice to get an alert if the door is open for 30 minutes. It's nice to have the option to open/close the door remotely, too. But it takes 10-30 seconds from the time you ask the door to open/close for the action to physically start. That would be MADDENING if it was the primary/only method of operating the door.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Which also means internet connectivity. This may be problematic for people with remote cabins, gated communities, or parking garages. You may not have internet connectivity near your garage door opener, and you may not have access/permission to add hardware to a shared gate you don't own.

I have a "smart" garage door opener. It's nice to be able to check if I left the garage door open when I get a block away and wonder "did I forget to close it?" It's also nice to get an alert if the door is open for 30 minutes. It's nice to have the option to open/close the door remotely, too. But it takes 10-30 seconds from the time you ask the door to open/close for the action to physically start. That would be MADDENING if it was the primary/only method of operating the door.
I do too. I generally don't mind Alexa integration as I use it. But removing other typical features to force alexa use would really frustrate me if I didn't.

I also don't plan on garaging my truck so... Personally ?‍♂

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

looks like this is the lighting above the pockets.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian interior ambient light 1630500395424

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Circling back to the garage door question. I pinged CS had got the same stock verbage that the guide seemed to give. Re-reading it, it appears to be entirely possible that there just won't be a garage door button and you'd have to control a garage door with a homelink with Alexa in the car.

However, I could not get an answer out of CS as to whether homelink hardware is included in the car. It was obviously something that CS didn't have info on, and kept referring back to Alexa and the Rivian App.

long story short, this seems like a "wait and see" situation and one of those situations where RIvian is being needlessly cagey.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Circling back to the garage door question. I pinged CS had got the same stock verbage that the guide seemed to give. Re-reading it, it appears to be entirely possible that there just won't be a garage door button and you'd have to control a garage door with a homelink with Alexa in the car.

However, I could not get an answer out of CS as to whether homelink hardware is included in the car. It was obviously something that CS didn't have info on, and kept referring back to Alexa and the Rivian App.

long story short, this seems like a "wait and see" situation and one of those situations where RIvian is being needlessly cagey.
I was told that there would not be HomeLink branded hardware, but a comparable system would be present. I don't have any information about what that looks like, but there should be an option.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I was told that there would not be HomeLink branded hardware, but a comparable system would be present. I don't have any information about what that looks like, but there should be an option.
As long as there's something to sends whatever radio frequency your standard garage door works on I'm sure people will be happy.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I have a little device with a button on it that controls my 25 y/o garage door opener. I'm going to stick with that.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I asked my guide directly.. and I asked regarding whether or not Rivian would support homelink style garage door openers...

This was her response.

It has been a while since we last spoke so I’m super happy to hear from you and hope you are doing well! I can’t wait for November to get here so you can begin your adventures in the R1T (and I will be expecting pictures of all the awesome places you go).

These are all really great questions and I have forwarded them to the appropriate teams for additional information.

Regarding HomeLink, we will have Alexa integration. Our Alexa functionality is different because in a Rivian, Alexa can control physical vehicle functions such as HVAC, windows, opening and closing the front trunk, and more. Users will be able to check on their gear remotely by accessing the vehicle’s bed camera from anywhere via Alexa Fire.

The integration also allows Rivian to provide new “car-to-home” and “home-to-car” skills unique to its vehicles, as well as access to certain Alexa features when the vehicle is offline. An example: “Alexa, is my Rivian charging?”

What I can also share at this time is that in addition to the in-vehicle infotainment system, Rivian will be offering a mobile app with many features designed to make your ownership experience seamless and unique. Though I don’t have exact timing on when we will be sharing this information, I do know that the teams have put a lot of thought and effort into creating a user-friendly experience and we are definitely listening to our community’s wants and needs!

We will be releasing a lot of information in the coming weeks as we are launching, but I will follow up when I get more answers to your specific questions. I’m glad you reached out, Gordon, and hope you are staying safe with all the wildfires currently. I have been keeping all my California people in my thoughts. If there’s anything I can help you with in the meantime, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Your Rivian Guide,

So basically they referred my question about lighting to the appropriate team and were getting Alexa for garage door opening ?
I think that was a yes or no question. Sheesh, the market-speak these CS folks have.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I think that was a yes or no question. Sheesh, the market-speak these CS folks have.
You should see the transcript between me and regular CS. I was trying to point out I wasn't even trying to ask about software. Just wanted to know if the hardware was there. Feel bad for them, they're obviously limited to some scripts, and this is one of them.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian interior ambient light Screenshot_20210902-234940

Accent lighting control on the dashboard in the motor trend interior video. Unfortunately, not funky technicolor like I have in my Mercedes. Seems like basic three levels of light

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Now if we could get to see some glamor shots of what it will look like at night.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Now if we could get to see some glamor shots of what it will look like at night.
If they haven't actually changed the lighting from the early pre-production models it should look something like this (around the door panel inserts and behind the wood in the dash). The owners manual says that there is ambient lighting in these areas so there's a good chance it hasn't been changed.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian interior ambient light IMG_9904.PNG

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

If they haven't actually changed the lighting from the early pre-production models it should look something like this (around the door panel inserts and behind the wood in the dash). The owners manual says that there is ambient lighting in these areas so there's a good chance it hasn't been changed.

IMG_9904.PNG
Welcome to the Forum. Yes I got to see this prototype back at the LA auto show. They have changed a lot since then like the steering wheel and ac vents ect. We now know they will have the interior lighting and I've been told its the same in the doors but we have yet to see a night shot of the dash in the current model.
Sponsored