Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
What I am most interested to learn at this point is how to expect things to proceed from here. When will we lock-in our final config and when does the $1000 pre-order "deposit" become non-refundable? When will financing and insurance options show up in the configurator - will we all get this update at the same time or will these items get enabled on a per-customer basis about 30 days before our respective delivery dates?

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
You will never hear “Let me get you to the right person” or “Let me transfer you” from our Guides. Instead, you will have “your person” for whatever you need.
Unless "whatever you need" is an actual answer to any real questions you have around timing, specs, interior details, EPA figures, real delivery dates, insurance, colors, test drives, or any other questions most people would have prior to dropping $80k on a brand new vehicle from an unproven company. :)

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
RJ bought the Normal factory back in 2016. Tesla started building the Texas plant (massive with a lot of prep work prior to building) in July 2020. At this point it maybe be very close on who makes the 1st electric truck. Maybe goes to show, you can build a house from scratch faster than doing a remodel.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Unfortunately, we're still at the stage where getting an EV from a startup is mostly a waiting game, and a long one. I waited months after ordering a Tesla Model S three years after it was introduced. My brother waited two years after his Model 3 order for the dual-motor version he wanted finally to get into production. I ordered a Lucid Air in September 2018 and still have no idea when I'll get the car. I ordered a Rivian R1S in February 2019 and still have no idea when I'll get it.

I've been on the roller coaster of teased expectations followed by another round of delays so long that I'm getting numb to it all. Meanwhile, the extended warranty on the Tesla I wanted to trade for one of these vehicles expires this month, and I'm now exposed to the risk of massive repair bills should anything like some earlier problems re-emerge.

I'm on the verge of forgetting about both the Lucid and the Rivian and just getting a Taycan Gran Tourismo. It's not really what I want, but Porsche does seem able to get their cars into production once they publicly reveal them.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Unfortunately, we're still at the stage where getting an EV from a startup is mostly a waiting game, and a long one. I waited months after ordering a Tesla Model S three years after it was introduced. My brother waited two years after his Model 3 order for the dual-motor version he wanted finally to get into production. I ordered a Lucid Air in September 2018 and still have no idea when I'll get the car. I ordered a Rivian R1S in February 2019 and still have no idea when I'll get it.

I've been on the roller coaster of teased expectations followed by another round of delays so long that I'm getting numb to it all. Meanwhile, the extended warranty on the Tesla I wanted to trade for one of these vehicles expires this month, and I'm now exposed to the risk of massive repair bills should anything like some earlier problems re-emerge.

I'm on the verge of forgetting about both the Lucid and the Rivian and just getting a Taycan Gran Tourismo. It's not really what I want, but Porsche does seem able to get their cars into production once they publicly reveal them.
You've waited this long, don't give up now.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

RJ bought the Normal factory back in 2016. Tesla started building the Texas plant (massive with a lot of prep work prior to building) in July 2020. At this point it maybe be very close on who makes the 1st electric truck. Maybe goes to show, you can build a house from scratch faster than doing a remodel.
The Cybertruck is still many months behind the R1T. The new plant will be building Model Ys first.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
No, not really. Rivian has stated the factory is ready for initial production. Now it's the million other moving pieces that have to come together from across the company and Rivian's hundreds of suppliers to be able to ship vehicles to customers.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Get the Porsche now, then get what you want later. The taycan (nice vehicle from everything I've read and seen around Vancouver) will likely still have some decent resale should you wish to go down that road and also be fully under warranty now, and also when one of the other options finally becomes available. As with any vehicle, its a depreciating asset, so all depends what you're okay losing in the end.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
You've waited this long, don't give up now.
I originally ordered both the Lucid and the Rivian intending to take delivery of only the one that arrived first to replace my Tesla. As more details emerged about each vehicle, I decided to take both and get rid of one of my ICE cars.

Last fall it looked as if Rivian was going to deliver first. At this point it looks as if Lucid might get at least the Dream Edition out by year end and that I might not see the R1S until next spring.

Perhaps the level of my frustration is a function of waiting endlessly for two new EVs instead of one. I'm just getting worn out.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Just got off of my hour and 15 min (45 min scheduled) call. As stated earlier, the purpose of the call was indeed to verify address/ZIP for delivery, configuration, and delivery window.
Very little new information, but I did confirm a few things:
1. The initial vehicles will be built in batches, and the Blue/Black was in that set. Unsure what other combinations are in that set other than one other member having El Cap and black.
2. Color and wheel selection will affect production window. Guides aren't sure by how much, but it will be a consideration.
3. Proximity to a service center was a major factor. They used my billing ZIP, but it differed from my home ZIP. Changing it didn't affect my date, but they did need to verify it.
4. There are only about 16 guides.....
5. The current wheel and tire options are likely the only options that will be offered, i.e. no Dark RIT 20's...
6. Colors should have been finalized about a week ago.
7. Trade-ins facilitated by Rivian must be applied to the purchase price of the vehicle.
Sponsored