Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

How about an implimentation that only allowed for 10-15 degrees of turn at a time, with a 30 second wait between movements. This keeps people from going crazy and would help people in an offroad type function getting around obstacles. For full implimentation, I've spent more than 5 minutes on Tiktok, so I have zero faith in society as a whole...
Anything other than continuous spinning as in the (admittedly cool) demo vehicle would be an improvement in safety and usability. If possible to track the rotation, Iā€™d even say it would be reasonable to limit the total amount of rotation to, say 175 degrees. After that the vehicle has to be moved before any additional rotation would be permitted.

Ultimately, I appreciate that Rivian was creative enough to try it and kept those of us waiting entertained with the demo video of it back in the day. I canā€™t even get mad at them for ditching it because of the low probability of a necessary use combined with high probability of liability and increased warranty claims.* Oh, and it could damage trails if used as in their demo, too.

*I suppose someone could make the same case about the available horsepower and torque but I wouldnā€™t be understanding if they limited that.

edit:typo
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Shaking off bad guys!
Okay, Iā€™d LOVE to see tank turn used as a practical effect in a movie! Kind of like how ā€œproductionā€ cars are modified to do outrageous things in a Bond film, Rivian could enable it for use just as a way to increase awareness.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Okay, Iā€™d LOVE to see tank turn used as a practical effect in a movie! Kind of like how ā€œproductionā€ cars are modified to do outrageous things in a Bond film, Rivian could enable it for use just as a way to increase awareness.
Iā€™m sure Dom would use the tank turn if it were available to him. Missed opportunity for Rivian to be showcased in Fast X. šŸ˜‚

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Fast and Furious X-3. Tank turn to get rid of bad guys, but then spins faster and puts it into "tank-copter" mode, frunk opens, tailgate drops, and it flies away.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
We've known for two years that we weren't going to get tank turn.

And we've known why: Within 10 minutes of its release some "influencer" is going to rip their tires off their wheels by doing a high speed tank turn on pavement.

No matter how useful it may be for certain very narrow use cases, and no matter how fun it may be, Rivian is not going to assume the liability to provide warranty service to everyone who mis-uses a standard feature. It would be a stupid business decision for Rivian to support tank turn.

Accept it.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

We've known for two years that we weren't going to get tank turn.

And we've known why: Within 10 minutes of its release some "influencer" is going to rip their tires off their wheels by doing a high speed tank turn on pavement.

No matter how useful it may be for certain very narrow use cases, and no matter how fun it may be, Rivian is not going to assume the liability to provide warranty service to everyone who mis-uses a standard feature. It would be a stupid business decision for Rivian to support tank turn.

Accept it.
I just re-read every post in this thread and not one seems to deny the reality of tank turnā€™s demise. At least a couple of the posts essentially say or hint at what you later wrote. Who needs to, ā€œAccept it.ā€ in your opinion?

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
What you say is true about this thread. But there have been dozens of other threads over the past two years which are quite derisive towards Rivian and accuse them of "lying" about the tank turn feature, and accusing them of "bait and switch" about "promising" tank turn then not delivering.

Tank turn was a concept feature on a concept vehicle back in 2020 before Rivian ever delivered anything and before Rivian ever finalized the specifications for the vehicle they were going to deliver. Much like with every concept vehicle ever, this feature did not make it into production. It should not have been a surprise to anyone.

That's all that I was implying.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

What you say is true about this thread. But there have been dozens of other threads over the past two years which are quite derisive towards Rivian and accuse them of "lying" about the tank turn feature, and accusing them of "bait and switch" about "promising" tank turn then not delivering.

Tank turn was a concept feature on a concept vehicle back in 2020 before Rivian ever delivered anything and before Rivian ever finalized the specifications for the vehicle they were going to deliver. Much like with every concept vehicle ever, this feature did not make it into production. It should not have been a surprise to anyone.

That's all that I was implying.
I completely agree. Really, anyone who would categorize a video showing off tank turn as ā€œbait and switchā€ is probably going to be disappointed about a lot of stuff in life. From what I recall, they never promised tank turn capability as much as they demonstrated what they could do with the quad motor setup.

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
P.S. if you can give me a Scenario where tan turn it's going save your life, I'm listening.
chasing Rommel through Tunisia?

Insight75

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Pharmaceuticals
I think there was more to this than tearing up trails. This isn't news. I think they struggled to get the programming right and/or parts were breaking.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Gee, next they're gonna outlaw skydiving! How dare they try to keep people safe!!!

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
Those commenters over on Fox are my neighbors and in-laws. 0-60 in 3 shuts up most of them. tank turn would silence a few more. If people were actually using it to break rules and be a rebel, the marketing value for the EV cause would be substantial. Rivian is the stake in the ground that marks the true arrival of the EV.
But , sigh, I know that I can't have my Earth and eat it too.
:p

Noah Arc

First Name
Noam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Contractor
Tank turn are excellent way to get in and out of tite parking spots. Most of us are using the vehicles for urban use. Mine is a working truck that.
To all of you who are concerned about the trails and the environment, ask yourself what 7500Lb vehicle do to the soil and the road.
Sponsored