Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I’ve had it disengage and it warns you enough that you have at least a second or two to take over.
Not sure about if Driver+ is active, but I've had it immediately dump me out of adaptive cruise from sun glare on the camera. Warning and disengagement at the same time. Couldn't have lost more than a couple mph because I was ready for it though.
Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
I just want regular cruise so I don't get regen "checked" on 2 lane road when the truck freaks out that someone "gasp" is coming from the other way.

OP
OP

Wowme22

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
I just want regular cruise so I don't get regen "checked" on 2 lane road when the truck freaks out that someone "gasp" is coming from the other way.
Hope rivian doesn’t get into trouble because of Driver+. One (or couple) headline and rivian might not survive.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Tesla's AP does the same thing. Any time it decides to disengage from AP it does it with minium to no warning. This is why I always have my hand on the wheel and pay attention to what it does, especially when it goes around bends or on the left lane closer to dividers/barriers.

There were two instances, it almost put me into a barrier or going around a bend doing about 110 kph put me into the next lane into traffic, when it decided to abruptly disengage AP. If I had not had my hand on the wheel I would have almost got into a crash, resulting in a 'Tesla Involved in an Accident, caused by AP' article
My Model X has tried to kill me plenty of times as well. I think the difference I've noticed is just the regen. Otherwise they both have sudden disconnects. Although what Tesla lacks in high regen, it makes up with phantom braking.

SingleMalt

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Soon to be retired
Maybe setting brake regen from "heavy" to "standard" might reduce the braking impact of suddenly dropping out of Driver+ or adaptive cruise control. That being said, the manual is pretty clear about Driver+, etc.:

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Driver+ is dangerous and unpredictable 1677375668763

I like adaptive cruise control a lot more than I thought I would and like others have mentioned, it does help with fatigue, etc. But I'm never comfortable enough to divert my attention although it does make the driving experience more relaxing. The occasional nudges on lane centering and the ability to maintain a safe distance to vehicles in front is more useful than I ever thought it would be.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I can see why you feel this way- and it’s interesting. I feel the exact opposite about driver plus.
My R1T is approaching 8k miles. I’m guessing I’ve driven approximately 6k of those miles using driver plus. I use it every time it is available. It’s become very clear to me when it will have “issues” like you describe above and in those times I agree- you need to be ready to take control of the vehicle.
It doesn’t doesn’t suddenly brake - it’s just the regen. If you put your foot on the pedal(where it should be in theory) and apply light pressure quickly- this scary deacceleration is avoided.
Driver plus isn’t “the car drives itself” - it’s an assistant.
Even with the best assistants- electronic or otherwise- they still need to be properly monitored and supervised.

My driver plus has experience has been far more positive than negative and in no way would I describe it as dangerous any more than not paying attention while driving.
But I also don’t “set it and forget it”.

Stay safe out there!
I use adaptive cruise control regularly and have never tried driver+. Since I'd have to be ready to be in control at any moment, I just don't see the point. I am open to being educated. What's the advantage of driver+ over adaptive cruise control?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.