Not open for further replies.

Wowme22

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
I took rivian for long road trip (WI to NOLA) and on multiple (minimum 3+) occasion, driver+ disengaged for various reason (lines are not clear, cameras are blurry) at highway speed and ask to take over without any prior warning!!!!!!

It was very unsafe (sudden breaking from 80 to 60 or 50 mph) and if there was a vehicle behind me, I would have involved in catastrophic accident.

Be safe while using driver+

Other than Driver+ complain, road trip was a blast. 0 (zero) issues with vehicle or range prediction once direction is set. At charging front, Every EA and ChargePoint worked as expected.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Superdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Construction
I can see why you feel this way- and itā€™s interesting. I feel the exact opposite about driver plus.
My R1T is approaching 8k miles. Iā€™m guessing Iā€™ve driven approximately 6k of those miles using driver plus. I use it every time it is available. Itā€™s become very clear to me when it will have ā€œissuesā€ like you describe above and in those times I agree- you need to be ready to take control of the vehicle.
It doesnā€™t doesnā€™t suddenly brake - itā€™s just the regen. If you put your foot on the pedal(where it should be in theory) and apply light pressure quickly- this scary deacceleration is avoided.
Driver plus isnā€™t ā€œthe car drives itselfā€ - itā€™s an assistant.
Even with the best assistants- electronic or otherwise- they still need to be properly monitored and supervised.

My driver plus has experience has been far more positive than negative and in no way would I describe it as dangerous any more than not paying attention while driving.
But I also donā€™t ā€œset it and forget itā€.

Stay safe out there!

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Personally, I find it amazing that anyone would literally put their life in the hands of software in this way.
Which way would that be?

The reason I ask is because I believe Tesla videos have folks believing everyone is sleeping with their drivers assistance systems active but you can certainly use these in a manner that's not much different than cruise control.

I know I used it for a 1200 mile trip. Driver fatigue is a real thing and I used it as a backup in case I drifted. I set the speed a little lower than what I was actually traveling at, so most of the time I still maintained control of the throttle, but of course every now and then it would be on drivers+. Even in those cases I was paying attention but utilizing mainly the active cruise control - but of course on our trucks you can't have that w/o the steering.

Despite paying full attention, the combination of a sudden disengage and the high rate of regen can certainly be disorienting when it happens. It feels as if someone slammed on the brakes on you.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
ā€¦Even in those cases I was paying attention but utilizing mainly the active cruise control - but of course on our trucks you can't have that w/o the steering...
Can you explain? Cruise works on my R1S without the steering being engaged.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Wowme22

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Which way would that be?

The reason I ask is because I believe Tesla videos have folks believing everyone is sleeping with their drivers assistance systems active but you can certainly use these in a manner that's not much different than cruise control.

I know I used it for a 1200 mile trip. Driver fatigue is a real thing and I used it as a backup in case I drifted. I set the speed a little lower than what I was actually traveling at, so most of the time I still maintained control of the throttle, but of course every now and then it would be on drivers+. Even in those cases I was paying attention but utilizing mainly the active cruise control - but of course on our trucks you can't have that w/o the steering.

Despite paying full attention, the combination of a sudden disengage and the high rate of regen can certainly be disorienting when it happens. It feels as if someone slammed on the brakes on you.

You got my point => ā€œDespite paying full attention, the combination of a sudden disengage and the high rate of regen can certainly be disorienting when it happens. It feels as if someone slammed on the brakes on you.

I was fortunate enough that no one was behind me every time it happened however going from 80 to 50 in matter of seconds, would result in chain reaction accidentsā€¦.wish driver+ maintained speed while I take over. In worst case scenario, Iā€™m putting myself in danger and not people behind me.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Sorry incorrect reference. Dumb cruise. Active cruise still uses software for accel/braking so itā€™s in the softwares hands.
Put it in Towing mode and then you get "dumb" cruise control without accel/braking.

OP
OP

Wowme22

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
I can see why you feel this way- and itā€™s interesting. I feel the exact opposite about driver plus.
My R1T is approaching 8k miles. Iā€™m guessing Iā€™ve driven approximately 6k of those miles using driver plus. I use it every time it is available. Itā€™s become very clear to me when it will have ā€œissuesā€ like you describe above and in those times I agree- you need to be ready to take control of the vehicle.
It doesnā€™t doesnā€™t suddenly brake - itā€™s just the regen. If you put your foot on the pedal(where it should be in theory) and apply light pressure quickly- this scary deacceleration is avoided.
Driver plus isnā€™t ā€œthe car drives itselfā€ - itā€™s an assistant.
Even with the best assistants- electronic or otherwise- they still need to be properly monitored and supervised.

My driver plus has experience has been far more positive than negative and in no way would I describe it as dangerous any more than not paying attention while driving.
But I also donā€™t ā€œset it and forget itā€.

Stay safe out there!
Overall driver+ works good when all lines are visible however systems strength is when it performs and act on worst case scenarios.

example - I can take over control when lines are not visible however I have no way to know when camera will feel that it is blurred and starts breaking without warning šŸ˜…

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If your truck is able to hit 50 mph before you react to it kicking cruise control off, maybe you should stop sitting with your feet under your butt. That's like a solid three seconds.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
You got my point => ā€œDespite paying full attention, the combination of a sudden disengage and the high rate of regen can certainly be disorienting when it happens. It feels as if someone slammed on the brakes on you.

I was fortunate enough that no one was behind me every time it happened however going from 80 to 50 in matter of seconds, would result in chain reaction accidentsā€¦.wish driver+ maintained speed while I take over. In worst case scenario, Iā€™m putting myself in danger and not people behind me.
Mine disengaged even when it was clearly marked. Best I could make of it was that it lost cellular connection and when it did so, it decided it was unsafe and disengaged. Just speculation.

If your truck is able to hit 50 mph before you react to it kicking cruise control off, maybe you should stop sitting with your feet under your butt. That's like a solid three seconds.
I didn't track my speed when it happened to me, couldn't have been more than a second and definitely not more than 2. But however fractional I do think it actually takes longer to react when you're on it than when you're not on it. There's a shock moment there, but I think that's the case with any disengagement of a drivers assist. In some cases the Rivian does a really good job in warning you before disengaging. In some cases not so much. But that can be said of any automaker right now...

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Tesla's AP does the same thing. Any time it decides to disengage from AP it does it with minium to no warning. This is why I always have my hand on the wheel and pay attention to what it does, especially when it goes around bends or on the left lane closer to dividers/barriers.

There were two instances, it almost put me into a barrier or going around a bend doing about 110 kph put me into the next lane into traffic, when it decided to abruptly disengage AP. If I had not had my hand on the wheel I would have almost got into a crash, resulting in a 'Tesla Involved in an Accident, caused by AP' article

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Like I said in another similar thread, I just don't see the value. If you still have to pay attention - arguably more since you have to try to predict when it might throw you into the median or an offramp - why not just drive the thing yourself?

Maybe I'm biased because I live on the best coast where there aren't many long straight stretches which seems to be all D+ can handle.

Needless to say, I didn't but this supertruck for it's ability to drive for me.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
If you went from 80 to 50 based on regen youā€™re not paying the proper amount of attention. Thatā€™s not driver +ā€˜s fault itā€™s yours. Iā€™ve had it disengage and it warns you enough that you have at least a second or two to take over.

Every time Iā€™ve had to take over Iā€™ve had ZERO loss of speed as my foot was already prepared to use the accelerator. Driver assist systems are for ASSISTANCE not driving. Your hands should be on the wheel, you should be ready to steer and take over throttle at a moments notice.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.