Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

BG_ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac CTS
Rivian could license FSD from Tesla and throw a monthly subscription in there or have a subscription for the RAN and give a discount on charging. I think Tesla’s Supercharger membership is $12 a month for cheaper charging rates.
Just curious, do our Rivians have what it takes in terms of cameras/sensors to leverage something like FSD, assuming Tesla would license it?

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
This is just ancillary income and won't do anything anytime soon. Rivian needs to address their operating and vehicle cost which their trying to do to survive. Gimmicky subscriptions won't help right now.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Only 3 year of production deliveries. Maybe a bit unrealistic with expectations.

Sponsored

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Just curious, do our Rivians have what it takes in terms of cameras/sensors to leverage something like FSD, assuming Tesla would license it?
Tesla has said they would license FSD. I keep reading that there’s 11 cameras on the R1T and R1S including a 360 camera, but overall it seems junky. Here’s what Rivian says about the new generation of vehicles, which I think would be more capable of FSD:

“Utilizing our new perception stack featuring 11 cameras, five radars and a more powerful compute platform, R2 and R3 will provide dramatically enhanced autonomous capabilities.”

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

On the contrary, Rivian should be paying US for all the usage & performance telematics they’re constantly collecting from the entire fleet to feed their data analytics.

I’ll tell you what, let’s just call it even and leave any additional “quid” out of the existing “pro quo”. :cool:

Last edited:

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Rivian is already paying for the hotspot data we use.

Rather than frame it as new revenue, think of it as Rivian isn’t losing more money, ie less cost, by subsidizing our wifi hotspot. They should at least make their money back on this.

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I fundamentally agree, but I think you’re overestimating the value here.

Rivian has two new revenue streams coming up when you include connectivity services and opening RAN to other brands. I personally think they should also start licensing some of the ABRP IP to other automakers.

Both are good for revenue and margin. While we don’t know details, both are probably worth low ten-of-millions a year in revenue. Rivian is burning through billions a quarter.

While it is important, it won’t amount to more than a rounding error on the P&L.

What is REALLY important is getting to positive gross margins in Q4. They’ve committed this to Wall Street, and missing it would be disastrous for the future of the company. Getting these services launched before September should help with that target.
You mean other manufacturers would want to pay Rivian for ABRP?

They would do better just by adding Tesla charger status on their own nav as part of adopting NACS.

With the addition of Tesla SC access, I have no more use for ABRP, EA, EVgo apps.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Without going through all the pages for the answer - what happened with insurance and your truck?
It was totaled. I had new car replacement coverage. Because I bought my truck at $80K, I ended up getting about $92K total. I ended up buying a slightly used R1T as a replacement. I had the Nationwide/Rivian insurance coverage.

Rivian Head

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
The only way they become profitable is through reducing manufacturing costs, overhead, and through economy of scale.
That’s tough to do in the current environment. I will not touch its stock with a 10ft pole.
Sponsored