First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

For those with complaints and gripes, put them here instead of clogging up the threads with off-topic chatter. At the end of every week, I will forward your complaints to Rivian for further escalation.

Cheers.

Or go directly to Rivian at www.rivian.com/complaints/bezos_got_his_first.aspx
Sponsored

Last edited:

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Hmmm, crickets on this thread.
Evidently nobody likes to hang around with complainers but we all like others to hear our complaints.
Humans are a fickle bunch.... but now I'm just complaining.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Hard to have complaints about a product we don’t have…. Therein lies the actual complaint, we don’t have it yet. Oh, and communication could be a lot better.

Rabble, rabble…

Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
My big complaint is dropping a lot of the cool features that we initially saw early on. Also for what technology we have available today, system lag in the user interface should not be happening

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
My big complaint is dropping a lot of the cool features that we initially saw early on. Also for what technology we have available today, system lag in the user interface should not be happening
Totally agree with you on these. My question, has anyone seen a great QNX auto system? It seems like most who used QNX are moving on to Android Auto.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Several complaints, some minor, some not.

1. Why is there no protective coverings on vehicles being delivered to customers? Every company does this, and the more up-market companies cover vehicles extensively while being trucked.
2. There has been no explanation what the off-road $2000 option entails, other than mentioning two tow hooks and extra protection. Since the undercarriage is already protected, front-to-back and side-to-side, besides tow hooks, what does $2000 buy? Thicker panels, more panels, rails?
3. RJ has said V2V & V2H bidirectionality is coming. Does this involve a different charger installation, a panel upgrade or is it just an OTA update?

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Totally agree with you on these. My question, has anyone seen a great QNX auto system? It seems like most who used QNX are moving on to Android Auto.
As a software engineer and interface designer, I have to agree. I will try to reserve judgement until I get hands-on with a production R1T, but from what I've seen thus far of the displays and interface, I'm completely underwhelmed. Even GM is going Android in all their new trucks and it's light and snappy and we have access to the play store for apps. Even if they didn't want to go Android, there's still no reason to settle on underpowered displays and CPU/GPUs. QNX can be optimized for just about any modern platform. I think this is an area where they didn't commit a lot of resources, just gave a design team the task of "make it pretty". Much like Tesla did with their first MCU1 -- terribly underpowered and laggy. Ugh.

Several complaints, some minor, some not.

1. Why is there no protective coverings on vehicles being delivered to customers? Every company does this, and the more up-market companies cover vehicles extensively while being trucked.
2. There has been no explanation what the off-road $2000 option entails, other than mentioning two tow hooks and extra protection. Since the undercarriage is already protected, front-to-back and side-to-side, besides tow hooks, what does $2000 buy? Thicker panels, more panels, rails?
3. RJ has said V2V & V2H bidirectionality is coming. Does this involve a different charger installation, a panel upgrade or is it just an OTA update?
1. Fair question. Maybe they're still getting the protective details sorted out. Most car makers like the white vinyl wrap for exterior surfaces that could get hit by small rocks or road debris, door handles and things that will get touched...

2. Off-road package for $2000 includes upgraded front and rear skid plate armor and tow hooks. I think there's one other thing, but can't recall.

3. We don't know. Probably an OTA update for the truck itself. Will need a different wall charger to handle the power return. V2V will require an appropriate charger/cable for the truck to act as a charger for another vehicle. Your home will need to be configured as you would for running a backup generator or secondary power source. So there's usually an inverter that feeds into your electrical panel or a sub-panel. Usually that's a sub-panel that has high priority circuits that fit within the power envelope of what you can feed from your generator (or in this case the truck). So maybe refrigerator, furnace, select lights.... Ford Lightning reservation holders have many of these same questions. Buying the Lightning with the larger battery includes the upgraded wall charger that can accept power return from the truck. Still need the appropriate inverter and panel setup.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not convinced the UI itself is laggy from what I've seen. It appears to be map rendering specifically. Which should be something that can be improved in various ways. There are desktop applicstios for GIS that just have shit responsiveness no matter the hardware because of the way they render the maps. They shouldn't have to much difficult managing that with mapbox. I would be floored if they didn't have enough hardware to drive basic map tiles. They've been way to detail oriented to to miss that.

Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Thanks @Monkey for the information on what V2V and V2H bidirectionality. It sounds like more than an OTA upgrade.

Monkey also said, "Off-road package for $2000 includes upgraded front and rear skid plate armor and tow hooks. I think there's one other thing, but can't recall."

I've heard the same thing about the off-road package - upgraded front and rear protection plus two hooks, but $2000 is a costly upgrade.

How much added protection, where exactly, using what kind of materials and doing what (as compared with what was already done) - these are my questions?

The undercarriage is already flat and it's supposed to withstand being dropped on a spike from how many inches - was it 24"? That's standard. What do you get for $2000 more beside tow hooks? Maybe not a lot because, as Rivian says, the undercarriage is already well protected. If the upgrade involves rock rails, twice as thick skid plates, or whatever - that should be detailed. And if not getting the $2000 upgrade delays deliveries, that should be noted as well.

Last edited:

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
How can a bed be that small and not have a bed extender as an option?

wizard467

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (10/2022), Honda Ridgeline
I’m honestly asking what the primary use for the extender (assuming you mean the u-shaped flip style ones) would be?

If your use is to put a bunch of medium sized boxes, bins, etc. then it’s probably simpler to put some of it in the frunk and the gear tunnel instead of a partially open bed with the bed extender.

For plywood or drywall the bed gets to almost 8 feet so there is minimal hanging over so it can be strapped without an issue. My Ridgeline has a similar size bed and I’ve never had an issue with 8 foot material.

For 12 foot drywall a tailgate extender which isn’t specific to a truck with the flat bar could be used.

I’ve also cut and hauled 10 foot tree trunks in a bed similar to the R1T’s bed.

Also for work truck use the bed doesn’t need a locking tool box since you can use the frunk and gear channel so the bed ends up being about the same useable space as a full-size truck with a mounted tool box.

Do you have another use-case for the bed extender that I’m missing?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
There's all sorts of 3rd party bed extenders available. Rivian needs ot focus on delivering vehicles, not bed extenders that might be bought by a few hundred Rivian customers in the first year. Other companies can do it quickly and more cost effectively.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Complaints Department Master Thread 1635087081250

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Complaints Department Master Thread 1635087250990

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Complaints Department Master Thread 1635087570311

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I’m honestly asking what the primary use for the extender (assuming you mean the u-shaped flip style ones) would be?

If your use is to put a bunch of medium sized boxes, bins, etc. then it’s probably simpler to put some of it in the frunk and the gear tunnel instead of a partially open bed with the bed extender.

For plywood or drywall the bed gets to almost 8 feet so there is minimal hanging over so it can be strapped without an issue. My Ridgeline has a similar size bed and I’ve never had an issue with 8 foot material.

For 12 foot drywall a tailgate extender which isn’t specific to a truck with the flat bar could be used.

I’ve also cut and hauled 10 foot tree trunks in a bed similar to the R1T’s bed.

Also for work truck use the bed doesn’t need a locking tool box since you can use the frunk and gear channel so the bed ends up being about the same useable space as a full-size truck with a mounted tool box.

Do you have another use-case for the bed extender that I’m missing?
Yes, I do mean the U shape thing. Are you suggesting thousands of bed extenders are sold to people that don’t know what to do with them?

If Fronk can be used instead of Bed, why have a bed to begin with?

I have one in my truck that turns my 6’ bed to 7.5’. I wouldn’t leave home without it and any truck I own with less than 8’ bed must have one. I regularly fill it with yard trash and I have never had a case when it was not open. I don’t have to tie things down and have never had anything fly off or slide out. It is like having the tailgate closed with a bigger bed. It helps keep height of the load bellow my roofline with the same volume and that helps things not fly off at highway speed. That would be even more important with Rivian due to adding drag.

for short grocery trips, you can put your bags in it when closed. Two less steps than opening and closing the front.

I have had to help friends move and the bed extender reduced the number of trips and the time to tie everything down.

with Rivian, if you have the racks on the bed loaded with bike or tent, you can put more junk in bed with bed extender without worrying they may slide out. Who wouldn’t want a larger bed without having to have a longer truck? unless you really don’t need a truck.

There's all sorts of 3rd party bed extenders available. Rivian needs ot focus on delivering vehicles, not bed extenders that might be bought by a few hundred Rivian customers in the first year. Other companies can do it quickly and more cost effectively.
If there are some that fit well, you do have a point. I just like how you can buy a new frontier with one made for it and have no doubt Rivian will have something to add to it’s usefulness.
Sponsored