Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I needed to light up a really big area, so wanted the headlights and light bar, but I haven't tried using just those, ill give it a try, thanks!
I always forget about them in situations where they'd be helpful.
Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Just use the stalk to turn the lights off
That's what I have to do now.
This is a smart truck. It should have an option to have the lights go off when in park.

It annoys me that the lights default to auto every time I drive the truck.

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I was about to go to the garage and check the same thing. Itā€™s just a flick of a toggle switch on the left stalk to cycle thru and turn them off anytime isnā€™t it? If this is what people are complaining about then those people will never be happy.
Or, they can just simply program an option to turn off headlights in Park. Saves everyone from having to cycle through and do something that most other cars just normally do.

pickupman2022

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Fleet Support
I also wish you could leave them on. I wanted to use the lights to light up an area I was working on at night, but even if you set the lights to on they shut off after about a minute.
maybe this would work:

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian can we get an new update for headlights IMG_0213

Reactions: MWB

Sponsored

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

Just use the stalk to turn the lights off
Not difficult, but not convenient. Just like when two taps on the screen was all it took to close my garage door, but the new one touch steering wheel option is a huge upgrade.

I agree with the OP, Iā€™d like an optional setting to have all the exterior lights turn off when in park. Especially in the first few months of ownership, I didnā€™t realize that my lights were on while sitting in my truck in a parking lot, waiting for a kid at school, etc. It can look like someone thatā€™s trying to get more attention.

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

We all love the headlights but can we make it easier to have them shut off automatically when we are in park? Range if pretty good but do we need headlights to stay on when door is open and sitting while truck is in park? Or every time I walk past truck and doors unlock and headlights turn on again. It would be great to have an option to only have headlights turn on when driving puts in Drive. Maybe im wrong and headlights wonā€™t drain batteries much and we need to use our headlights as much as possible to promote the brand. šŸ‘
Been beating this dead horse for over a year with Rivian. We need to power button to shut off most things when in park. HVAC, exterior and interior lights, audio, screens, etc. Solution is NOT camp mode. Thatā€™s still a few clicks away. I just want the car to be quiet/stealth for a few minutes till Iā€™m ready to get out or to start driving.

Reactions: pdq

Andy96734

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX 90D 2016
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Same on the ferrys, but Iā€™m used to having to turn other EV headlights off while in park and the Rivian is much easier to do using a physical control than my old Teslas!
how so? My MX needs only a touch of the ā€offā€ soft button on the control screen.

OP
OP
michaelcasto

michaelcasto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Landscaper
As a frequent ferry rider in WA state Iā€™m typically asked to ā€œturn off your lightsā€ after parking on the boat while still sitting in the vehicle. It would be nice to have them go off when the vehicle goes into park, or with a user selectable delay.
I agree totally šŸ‘ and being electric do we really need headlights burning just sitting in park? I always turn lights to parking lights only when towing one of my trailers. Maybe I might need that extra mile I save šŸ¤”

Sponsored

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Or, they can just simply program an option to turn off headlights in Park. Saves everyone from having to cycle through and do something that most other cars just normally do.
Not all of us would want that. I like that they light up on unlock. Wouldnā€™t want to have to manually turn the lights on like itā€™s 1980 every time.
Maybe the problem is the last setting isnā€™t ā€stickyā€ from what was set last?

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Not all of us would want that. I like that they light up on unlock. Wouldnā€™t want to have to manually turn the lights on like itā€™s 1980 every time.
Maybe the problem is the last setting isnā€™t ā€stickyā€ from what was set last?
I didnā€™t say make it manual. I meant make it an option in the setting just like it is now to set how long to keep lights on after lock.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

Right now the default behavior is that lights are on in park unless you manually override it.

I think default behavior should be lights off in park unless you manually override it.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Iā€™ve never owned a car that turned its headlights off when in park. In what cars is this ā€œnormalā€? Even beyond park, my cars have always defaulted to headlights stay on for a bit even after the car is off and locked.

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Iā€™ve never owned a car that turned its headlights off when in park. In what cars is this ā€œnormalā€? Even beyond park, my cars have always defaulted to headlights stay on for a bit even after the car is off and locked.
Sounds like you have only ever driven American cars.

In contrast to your experience, Iā€™ve always wondered why in the world the Chevy or Ford Iā€™ve driven keeps its lights on for at least 30 seconds after car is parked. I mean, my garage (or any public garage) is already lighted, so why the need to keep headlights on for so long afterwards.

Every European, Japanese, and Korean car I have ever driven either defaults the headlights to off when you park the car or thereā€™s an option to do so. Only American cars donā€™t from my experience.

Even Teslas have an option to turn off in park.
Sponsored