Sponsored

Rivian Battery Poll - VOTE HERE

What battery will you be going with and why ?

• 105kWh (230+mile range)

• 135kWH (300+mile range)

• 180kWh (400+mile range)

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
KickRocksRiv

KickRocksRiv

First Name
Westly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Don’t worry about it sweetheart
@bajadahl haha take the damn compliment :like::rock:
Im just joking tho, I’m not rich either. I’m just a pro at priotitzing my money to always have a “nice” car. No kids here, just a dog!
it’s just amazing And awesome to see how many ppl here are going to drop 70-100k for a new electric truck (me included)
Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
@bajadahl haha take the damn compliment :like::rock:
Im just joking tho, I’m not rich either. I’m just a pro at priotitzing my money to always have a “nice” car. No kids here, just a dog!
it’s just amazing And awesome to see how many ppl here are going to drop 70-100k for a new electric truck (me included)
I’m going to drop a loan is what I’m going to do. No means anywhere near rich lol

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Which battery is best for you depends on what your definition of "goodness" is. The simplest advice with which I think most would agree (knowing full well that there will be some who will disagree) is "Buy the biggest battery you can comfortably afford and that fits your requirements." It's rather like computer memory. No matter how much you install you will always wind up wishing that you had installed more.

Clearly there are cases where this advice would steer you to the smaller battery such as needing the third row of seats or not being comfortable with the extra money. Some have opined that the extra weight will present problems and/or that it takes longer to charge a bigger battery. These two are somewhat related, The extra 45 kWh worth of cells may increase battery pack weight by 33% but that probably means a vehicle weight increase of only 10% or so. This will have an effect on energy consumption but that effect is probably going to be 5% overall (this is a WAG).

You may at first think that it is going to take 33% longer to charge a 180 kWh battery than a 135 kWh battery from your home 11.5 kW charger and that would be true if you charged them from SoC X to SoC Y. But that's not how you will be charging them. You will be replacing the charge you used since the last charging session. That depends on how far you drive and the consumption per mile. It takes no longer for a 11.5 kW charger to put 11.5 kWh charge into a 185 kWh battery than it does to put it into a 135 kWh battery: 1 hour. If you burn 5% more Wh/mile from driving a vehicle that is 10% heavier than another because it has a battery that weighs 33% more then you will, at the end of equal drives, need to reload 5% more energy at the next charge. Thus 60 minutes becomes 63 minutes and a 5 hour charge is 15 minutes longer. This is not, IMO, something to give much consideration to.

tscanjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Tech Sales
I was dead set on 180kWh for peace of mind, longevity/future proof, and the raw power....then I realized it removes the 3rd row option. Dammit! So, this could be a question on many threads, but any advice on the real NEED for a 3rd row? I can't decide if I really need it...

I've never had one (driven Grand Cherokees for 20yrs), but only now just starting my family. Planning for only 2 kids and want to own the R1S for as long as possible. With that said, do folks with a family of this size and active in the outdoors (beach, ski, golf, hiking, etc.) get much use from a 3rd row? Or most often have it folded down for more storage and trunk room?

I could see a need for 3rd row down the road, but can only think of my kids friends, little leage/ soccer mom stuff, cousins. But probably not adults back there. Do folks use the 3rd row on road trips much?

I realize this is totally subjective and everyone has an opinion on it, so please be nice! Thanks all,

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
As for third row seating, a lot depends, tscanjr, on how close the in-laws are, physically and emotionally, and how friendly and popular your kids are. Adults won't sit in the very back, but kids will and maybe dogs. As for raw power, the 135 kWh version is faster because it weighs less. The 180 kWh version doesn't get you anywhere quicker; it just lasts longer.

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I was dead set on 180kWh for peace of mind, longevity/future proof, and the raw power....then I realized it removes the 3rd row option. Dammit! So, this could be a question on many threads, but any advice on the real NEED for a 3rd row? I can't decide if I really need it...

I've never had one (driven Grand Cherokees for 20yrs), but only now just starting my family. Planning for only 2 kids and want to own the R1S for as long as possible. With that said, do folks with a family of this size and active in the outdoors (beach, ski, golf, hiking, etc.) get much use from a 3rd row? Or most often have it folded down for more storage and trunk room?

I could see a need for 3rd row down the road, but can only think of my kids friends, little leage/ soccer mom stuff, cousins. But probably not adults back there. Do folks use the 3rd row on road trips much?

I realize this is totally subjective and everyone has an opinion on it, so please be nice! Thanks all,
My sister has 2 kids and she claims that she wouldn't get a car without a 3rd row.
I'm also on the fence since I'd like to keep the r1s for as long as possible, so who knows if ill need it down the road. For now im just waiting for the actual range numbers to come out. If the 135kwh has at least 350miles range, then I'll get that one.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I'm also only considering the 135kwh version because I'd like the optional 3rd row. Not that I need it now, but we do have a dog that takes up her own row. Add kid(s) to the mix and all of a sudden you're at capacity. I made the mistake of not planning for future needs with my current car, so maybe I'm overcompensating ...

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
If the 135kwh has at least 350miles range, then I'll get that one.
I think we'll see 315-330 for the 135, and those are ideal scenario (not full highway speed). I think in real world use, the difference between 320 & 350 will be insignificant.

On the 3rd row issue, I will definitely be getting the 3rd row. I have 3 kids, but have often wanted capacity for over 5...family, friends, kids' friends, etc. In fact, I wish there was even a front split bench option for one additional available seat.

For me, I will use the 3rd row much more often than pushing the range limit.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
For around town use, even the 135 kWh version is overkill.

For road trips, if you have 3 rows full of adults/kids/dogs, getting out and letting them run around every 3 hours is likely necessary anyway and the 135 kWh version will likely get you at least that far between charging.

Sponsored

jarross

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester XT, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Pharmacist
I live in a CCS charging desert (Wyoming) and there are precious few level 2 chargers as well. Unless I hear of Rivian-branded chargers making huge inroads into my lovely and spacious state, I need the range to get to my favorite spots, and get back home on a single charge.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I live in a CCS charging desert (Wyoming) and there are precious few level 2 chargers as well. Unless I hear of Rivian-branded chargers making huge inroads into my lovely and spacious state, I need the range to get to my favorite spots, and get back home on a single charge.
Maybe you could keep your Chevy to be the hauler to these spots?

EMcWhirter

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette GS, GMC Yukon, GMC Sierra, Tesla Model X
Which battery is best for you depends on what your definition of "goodness" is. The simplest advice with which I think most would agree (knowing full well that there will be some who will disagree) is "Buy the biggest battery you can comfortably afford and that fits your requirements." It's rather like computer memory. No matter how much you install you will always wind up wishing that you had installed more.

Clearly there are cases where this advice would steer you to the smaller battery such as needing the third row of seats or not being comfortable with the extra money. Some have opined that the extra weight will present problems and/or that it takes longer to charge a bigger battery. These two are somewhat related, The extra 45 kWh worth of cells may increase battery pack weight by 33% but that probably means a vehicle weight increase of only 10% or so. This will have an effect on energy consumption but that effect is probably going to be 5% overall (this is a WAG).

You may at first think that it is going to take 33% longer to charge a 180 kWh battery than a 135 kWh battery from your home 11.5 kW charger and that would be true if you charged them from SoC X to SoC Y. But that's not how you will be charging them. You will be replacing the charge you used since the last charging session. That depends on how far you drive and the consumption per mile. It takes no longer for a 11.5 kW charger to put 11.5 kWh charge into a 185 kWh battery than it does to put it into a 135 kWh battery: 1 hour. If you burn 5% more Wh/mile from driving a vehicle that is 10% heavier than another because it has a battery that weighs 33% more then you will, at the end of equal drives, need to reload 5% more energy at the next charge. Thus 60 minutes becomes 63 minutes and a 5 hour charge is 15 minutes longer. This is not, IMO, something to give much consideration to.
I've got 2 kids (6&2).
My wife was driving a '19 Sierra and was the one normally picking our son up from Kindergarten last year. With my sons booster seat, and my daughters seat in the back row, there was plenty of space for an adult to sit between them. Whenever my son would bring a friend home from school and we introduced a 3rd childs seat into the back row, my son and his friends that we would bring home, couldn't fit their hands between the seats to buckle up, so someone would have to get out and help them buckle ( this held up the carpool line ever longer ).
My wife then started driving my GMC Yukon (captains chairs in the center row) so that the kids could get in and out of a vehicle faster. I got tired of driving her truck and no longer having my vehicle.
So we sold her truck and got her a the Model X with the 6 seat configuration and it's been great.

I'd LOVE to have the 180KW battery, but it just doesn't make sense with the kids and not being able to have a 3rd row.
We go to the lake often, and once the kids start wanting to bring friends, you're going to need more seats. I love the idea of each child being able to bring a friend with us somewhere, and my kids having a row to themselves with their friends (less fights in the back of the car).

All of that being said, I hope Rivian offers captains chair in the middle row, or it will very likely result in me canceling my order and moving on to something else.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
couldn't fit their hands between the seats to buckle up
I have 3 kids in boosters, and got seat belt extenders (for 3 different vehicles)...work like a champ & solve that problem. You do have to measure the metal insert to get the right size(s), and I recommend the rigid ones (not floppy seat belt fabric ones).
Sponsored