Sponsored

Rivian Battery Poll - VOTE HERE

What battery will you be going with and why ?

• 105kWh (230+mile range)

• 135kWH (300+mile range)

• 180kWh (400+mile range)

Results are only viewable after voting.

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
Should we update/replace this poll? IIRC this poll was conducted prior to the 400+ pack delay news. As we are getting closer to production, i would like to see if opinions have changed.
Anyone else interested?
Sponsored

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
Going with the max pack even though have to wait. Though all my EVs we've owned and experience, the 400 mile range, will deliver closer to 300 miles in reality.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Going with the 300+.

I am getting an R1S, currently have a Tesla Model S that after 5 years has a max of 225 miles and have not had any issues with range based on my usage and needs so the 300+ will work fine for me.

The other thing is from a performance perspective, the 300+ with 22s has the highest performance and handling ratings (trusting the Web Site on this one). I occasionally go off road but 90% of my driving is on paved surfaces and prefer the better road handling and performance.

Pioneer52

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Wagoneer, Jeep CJ 7
Occupation
Retired
I am going for the 135 because it is the only one available in the LE and with my Grand Wagoneer I am used to a 200+ mile range off and on road. To achieve that in the R1S there need to be charging stations in somewhat remote locations which I have already posted in the charging network thread. To believe to be able to recharge in a remote location with a solar generator is a dream (the one in the photo supplies 1 KW/hr plus 400 W solar which in reality is >300 W/hr). I live off the grid with a big array but I am still trying to figure out how to charge the vehicle at home.​
If the 180 was available for the LE which I guess everybody was expecting I would take it right away. The 3rd row is totally useless for me.​

Silver9k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19' CX-5 D, 16' Mazda3, 07 S2000
I go back and forth with myself on 300 and 400, I'd love more range. But I've tried to be honest with myself with how this will typically get used, and 230miles of real world range is probably fine 98-99% of the time. Most longer drives will be 500 miles and less, so 2 relatively short (30-40min) stops should be enough to go that far vs. 1 stop with the 400 mile batt. Doing that 3 times a year is at most 2 hours of my life spent charging when I would not have needed to. Over 10 years thats 20hrs. It takes 10 years to get the cost/hr down to $500/hr. Then there is the extra storage you get not having the bigger battery and .2 sec faster to 60!!!

For the handful of times I go on 2000+ mile trips mine may see, I figure I'll just try to take it easy and try to use the down time to enjoy the trip more.

Sponsored

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
For me, PRE-RAN announcement was 180 pack. Now that they will have a network of Rivian DCFC's that is nationwide, there is no need to spend the extra $10k on 100 mile range. I am now all in for the LE. :)

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
I'm a launch edition customer. My preference would be the largest battery. I believe at launch the R1S will have the "large" pack which is the 135W pack.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I go back and forth with myself on 300 and 400, I'd love more range. But I've tried to be honest with myself with how this will typically get used, and 230miles of real world range is probably fine 98-99% of the time. Most longer drives will be 500 miles and less, so 2 relatively short (30-40min) stops should be enough to go that far vs. 1 stop with the 400 mile batt. Doing that 3 times a year is at most 2 hours of my life spent charging when I would not have needed to. Over 10 years thats 20hrs. It takes 10 years to get the cost/hr down to $500/hr. Then there is the extra storage you get not having the bigger battery and .2 sec faster to 60!!!

For the handful of times I go on 2000+ mile trips mine may see, I figure I'll just try to take it easy and try to use the down time to enjoy the trip more.
I like your rational... I plan on using 0-60 MPH in 3 seconds between every intersection so this is a no brainer. Don't worry I'm already stockpiling extra tires.

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
I still think about switching, but pretty well convinced 135KWH is the better choice for me. In town it's obviously fine, and that's most of my driving. And going camping I doubt will be very far, so one top off each way is probably worst case scenario. I read somewhere that most people that go camping do it with 200 miles of their home.
I do expect a few 2000+ mile trips, so I will miss it then, but not $10K worth. Plus, hoping (but not expecting) that the auxiliary batteries will come to be and could be rented for those occasions.
I do think I might miss the extra capacity while camping, since having a giant battery on wheels would be great for powering the miscellaneous stuff while camping, especially trailer camping.
And finally, I think I would probably have to wait another year to get the truck, and I am already desperate for it!

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
Owned EVs since about 2012+. 400+ pack for us, even if having to wait more which sucks (whole other topic there).

You'll quickly learn that "range is king" with an EV. I'm expecting 300 miles really usable most of the time out of the 400 mile pack, maybe a little more, but definitely less with driving on freeways, HVAC use, not charging to 100%, degradation over X years, etc.

You can't upgrade a battery later. Don't expect any 'auxiliary' battery options (not sure where that came from) unless you quickly see that launch models have some secret connector in the bed or something for future, etc.

Sponsored

GoWest!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & R1S
Going with the 300 because that’s what’s available in the LE and I’ve already waited two years for that.

I’m a highly anxious, latchkey child of the 80’s with an active imagination and don’t want to wait any longer lest this year’s anticipated cicada swarm takes us all out. As my knuckles grip the steering wheel and the cicada swarm fills the R1S cabin, I can go out saying: “at least I drove the 300 pack!”

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

180 kWh for me. I'd be more than happy with 300 miles of effective range with my driving habits... but not 300 miles EPA range.

Keep in mind the 410+ (for R1S) is most likely based on EPA cycle. Given that I tend to cruise around 85, climate and geographic factors, etc I'm not going to get anywhere near EPA range. With the 180 kWh pack, with any luck, I'll actually get 285+ miles in the real world on a full charge. If I only use say 80% of the battery capacity between charges, then I'm potentially only looking at about 230 miles of effective range between charges. That would at least get me as far as my usual pit stops on road trips. Same assumptions with 135 kWh pack nets me about 175 mi or I could stretch that to about 220 mi if I used the full battery capacity which I would prefer not do from a battery longevity and safety margin (ie, DCFC out of order) perspective.

Hopefully I'm being overly pessimistic on range but I don't think so. Even Elon Musk is reminding folks of the variety of factors that will reduce range:
Yeah you're right. I have a 2021 Tesla Model Y long range. With a full charge, my range says 321 miles. On a recent trip in winter, temps in the 30 -40's, I was lucky to get a little over 200 miles. This is with the heat on and average speed of 80 mph on the highways.
So the 300 mile plus is a misnomer. You'll only get that in perfect conditions, never speeding or flooring it.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
@txtravwill While I agree with you that range is king, one other thing to consider is that weight is a killer. I really feel strongly that the 300+ mile pack will be a good fit in terms of weight / range. You will also see a greater kwh/mile on the 180 pack, so that truck will be less efficient. Only time will tell, but with the charging network and the weight advantage, I think we will see over 300 miles range while normally driving, but the 400 pack may not see as much over 400 as the 300 will see over 300. Also in terms of total cost per mile will be higher on the 180. And to all the others that said the extra $10k really hurts the economics of it.

Drterreur

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3 Dual motor
Occupation
Healthcare
@txtravwill And to all the others that said the extra $10k really hurts the economics of it.
Exactly.
I did a few tries with the alpha version of abetterrouteplanner and the larger battery would maybe save me half an hour for 1 or 2 trips per year. I can live with that and save myself 10k$.

The rest of the year, I'm not doing a lot of mileage per day. Those errands, with the 300 miles battery, will benefit from higher efficiency (less weight) and lower cost per mile.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

The LE's midsize pack is the Goldilocks of batteries for me. I appreciate saving the $10,000 and also having roughly 600 pounds less to pull around when I don't need it. The extra little bit of acceleration that comes with the midsize pack is also a plus, even if it's just in knowing it has it. As DCFC becomes as common as gas stations (yes, it will be awhile), range anxiety will go down. I may not be excited for the extra charging sessions needed for long trips, but those will be fairly rare.

I fully understand why some want the MaxPack and others will be thrilled with the smallest pack. My biggest wish would be having all Rivians able to accommodate the replacement of their battery as new technology arrives. As they say, "Your Wishes May Vary".
Sponsored