First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Chevy Bolt, 1981 CJ-7
Occupation
Rowing Coach
What would have been nice is to give each h new Rivian 1 year of free charging. That would have been nice.
Sponsored

eagle2

First Name
Saeed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I asked an employee at the newly opened Rivian showroom in Atlanta yesterday about the RAN pricing. He pulled out a PDF brochure from the emails on his phone and said it will be 25c/KWH flat in all US. There is also and idle fee of $1.50/min if I remember correctly. This is pretty good IMO.

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
I asked an employee at the newly opened Rivian showroom in Atlanta yesterday about the RAN pricing. He pulled out a PDF brochure from the emails on his phone and said it will be 25c/KWH flat in all US. There is also and idle fee of $1.50/min if I remember correctly. This is pretty good IMO.
If that pricing sticks, that would be fantastic. I could see chargers overrun in high electricity states such as California. Here in the PNW with low electric costs, this just provides better alternatives to the other incumbents such as EVGo, EA, etc, which are all around $0.50/kWh.

Now we just need more charging locations, hopefully paying for charging will generate some cash flow to deploy more chargers.

I managed to get a free session over the weekend at the only charger in the area that is somewhat close (still a 40 min drive). There are 6 stalls and 1 other R1T was parked there. While I was there an S came and went and as I was leaving another T pulled up, so the location was certainly getting some activity.

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
I'll be happy to pay if I can get to a RAN! Been able to do it just once in 14 months
My reaction exactly. FWIW, I just don't have that much need to DC charge in my daily affairs, but when I've needed to, there's been no RAN anywhere near me. I wish there had been for the apparently excellent reliability moreso than the chance ot save a buck.

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Here in SoCal, that’s cheaper than super off peek TOU rates.

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y
The way the email is worded I assume the cost at each charger will be dependent on the local power companies. That should be fun…
Yeah, expect the cost to vary by location (Tesla, ChargePoint, etc., also vary by location), due to variances in electrical rates, cost of installation/operation, state laws governing resale of a utility...

First Name
Lothar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Quad R1T , VW ID4, Tacoma
Occupation
Project Manager
I love that $1.50/min charge for overstaying and blocking a charge station. 25 cents would be awesome and very reasonable. But would worry it attracts everyone away from EA chargers and all stalls being taken. OK with charge per mins as well to encourage mainly up to 80% charge.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

yes, please start to charge for a charge. especially those who had their vehicles for over a year. originally it was supposed to be free charging for 1 year at part of Membership anyhow. which they should have stuck with or given some set kWh amount of free charge. pretty sure many of us didnt get to enjoy any benefit from the free charging because its nowhere near us.

and what the heck happened to Membership?

HokieR1T

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T LG/BM/20 AT
I agree with many others than in hindsight Rivian should have offered 500 kWh or 1000 kWh of free RAN to each owner. When Rivian first mentioned charging at the RAN in the Spring, I was in the same situation as many of the precious commenters - "Would have been nice if any RAN stations were within a 500 mile radius". Fortunately I was able to take advantage of free RAN a few times along the Blue Ridge Parkway. I've had a taste. It was great, and I'm more than ok paying. I would still be bugged if I never had access while many others had almost daily opportunities.

That being said. Do I recall some mention of being able to reserve your charging station ahead of time? Did I dream this? How great would it be if you could program the route to a RAN station in the nav screen and your charger would be locked/reserved for you. If you don't show up, or the nav knows you ventured away form the charger, you lose your spot? Either an option for all Rivian owners or part of the legendary Membership? Or what if 2 chargers at each station only works for Rivian?

I"m sure there are plenty of holes to poke in my plan, but we all realize that in the very near future, charging stations will become more and more crowded. Is this out of line? Would that setup alter federal funding for stations?

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

If it takes 35 minutes to charge to 80% and there are 6 chargers at a location, then one opens up every 6 minutes. I don't think reserving is all that efficient of a model, but a queue when you are there waiting might be, to keep people from snaking the charger if you are next in line.

Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My name is Mike, and I have a (car) problem
Darn. I’m just about to take a road trip to SoCal and back up through the central
If that pricing sticks, that would be fantastic. I could see chargers overrun in high electricity states such as California.
The good (?) news is that the CA chargers aren’t located in major population centers - the exception being Sacramento. For the most part, they’re on the way to somewhere else (particularly mountains).

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
How would they deal with the states that have an EV charging tax, like GA? Just eat the tax themselves? Not sure how likely that is, but I’d love to see that rate!

eagle2

First Name
Saeed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

How would they deal with the states that have an EV charging tax, like GA? Just eat the tax themselves? Not sure how likely that is, but I’d love to see that rate!
Taxes and idle fees are added to the total. There was a sample charging receipt on the brochure he showed me reflecting a total of $38 and some change for a 25 minute 100kwh charge session. The bill included some idle fees and taxes.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Taxes and idle fees are added to the total. There was a sample charging receipt on the brochure he showed me reflecting a total of $38 and some change for a 25 minute 100kwh charge session. The bill included some idle fees and taxes.
Must have been about $10-11 in idle fees. Anything regarding grace period?