First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 BMW i3 BEV, 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG
Occupation
Business Owner
There's lots of commentary on regen braking, but limited posts as such. Hoping to capture feedback on experience using the system here.

I had my first test drive today and found that the regenerative braking in "standard" mode worked nicely. There seems to be a good transition to slowing when lifting off the pedal, no too abrupt. I found it to be more aggressive that my 2017 BMW i3 BEV (not adjustable), which was too weak in my experience. However, I was disappointed in how abrupt the "high" setting for the regen braking was in the R1T. I hope to use the high setting a lot and am curious if any current owners got used to it. It seems like at the margins (just on, just off the "gas" pedal) it could be smoother.
Rivian R1T R1S Regenerative Braking Feedback BE40D07F-9A6A-48D6-B7B4-E75A7AFC36E2
Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Had my mobile First-Mile ride last week and the immediacy of regen braking in High setting was unsettling to me initially. This is my first full EV but the regen on two plug-in hybrids I had was chump-change in comparison. I mean in High mod it feels like you're executing an emergency stop.

Will definitely take some muscle-memory learning and fancier right foot control to drive in High setting and not risk getting rear-ended on the street.

Does anyone know with absolute certainty that when the vehicle applies any amount of regen braking that the brake lights illuminate? If they don't then shit....

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Does anyone know with absolute certainty that when the vehicle applies any amount of regen braking that the brake lights illuminate? If they don't then shit....
It will not for 'any' amount. For example, regen will help maintain your speed during a decent, but the brake light will not illuminate. Come to a stop sign with full regen and, yes, the light illuminates as you would expect. The animation of the vehicle in the driver's display will show the driver real-time statuses of lights and indicators, to include headlights, high beams, turn signals, and brake lights.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Sorry edited my post/question as godfodder answered my question while I was typing a reply. But I am curious as to how the truck knows when it's coming to a stop vs decelerating on the highway. Is the brake light illumination tied to function of speed? So if you're going less than let's say 20 mph and you pull your foot off the accelerator, the lights illuminate. Vs going 50 on a highway and you pull your foot off the pedal.

Last edited:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Had my mobile First-Mile ride last week and the immediacy of regen braking in High setting was unsettling to me initially. This is my first full EV but the regen on two plug-in hybrids I had was chump-change in comparison. I mean in High mod it feels like you're executing an emergency stop.

Will definitely take some muscle-memory learning and fancier right foot control to drive in High setting and not risk getting rear-ended on the street.

There is a regulation that manufacturers need to meet regarding brake lights on regen.

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

damn. I thought I was done ever having to do a math problem again... 🤔

Rivian R1T R1S Regenerative Braking Feedback Regen equations.PNG

mmdavis174

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
There's lots of commentary on regen braking, but limited posts as such. Hoping to capture feedback on experience using the system here.

I had my first test drive today and found that the regenerative braking in "standard" mode worked nicely. There seems to be a good transition to slowing when lifting off the pedal, no too abrupt. I found it to be more aggressive that my 2017 BMW i3 BEV (not adjustable), which was too weak in my experience. However, I was disappointed in how abrupt the "high" setting for the regen braking was in the R1T. I hope to use the high setting a lot and am curious if any current owners got used to it. It seems like at the margins (just on, just off the "gas" pedal) it could be smoother.
BE40D07F-9A6A-48D6-B7B4-E75A7AFC36E2.jpeg
I'm three weeks into ownership and regen on high is the only way to go. Once you're used to it you have complete control of the speed of the truck, both accelerating and decelerating. It's an intuitive driving experience with a very short learning curve. It's truly one of my favorite features.

blkfxstc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
High regen here since day 1, never use the brake, modulate accelerator to control regen effects.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

High regen here since day 1, never use the brake, modulate accelerator to control regen effects.
Same here. I'll admit that slow, short drives (driving through the neighborhood) can be a little jerky at first, especially after driving one of my ICE vehicles. However it's a quick learning curve and once you figure out the amount of pressure, or lack of, on the accelerator pedal to apply- it's almost too easy.

ElCapiTan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mustang
Occupation
Computer Janitor
Had my first mile yesterday. It was my first time driving an EV or hybrid. Initially I found high to be awkward and abrupt. Switched to standard for a few minutes and that seemed more natural. Guide explained that I just needed to hover the pedal a little more if I wanted to kind of coast when in high regen. Kind of like riding the clutch a bit. That made sense to me, I felt like I had mastered the high regen by the end of my drive.

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

BE40D07F-9A6A-48D6-B7B4-E75A7AFC36E2.jpeg
Thank you for posting your experience and it is especially relevant to me since I am also a BMW i3 driver (i3s).

Will you be keeping your i3 as a commuter vehicle when you take delivery of the R1T?

How did the R1T feel to you both from a driving dynamics and visibility perspective relative to your i3? I am excited about the R1T but have been completely spoiled by the i3's handling, visibility, seating position, seating comfort (even as a 6'5 Sasquatch) and insane turning radius.

mpp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Audi R8, BMW M3, Toyota FJ Cruiser
One of the more unsettling things in my Tesla Model S is when the battery is cold and I forget that regen won’t work and I lift my foot of the gas pedal and it’s like “why isn’t the car slowing down!?” and I have to remember I have that other pedal I can use to slow the car down. I assume it will be even more unsettling in a vehicle almost 2500 pounds heavier with a stronger regen setting than the Model S.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I have the MINI EV, based on the i3. Having come from a Spark EV that had a blended brake pedal, it took me awhile to get used to the MINI's regen. You definitely will adapt though and get to a point where you feel like you've done something wrong if you have to use the friction brakes. I started driving the MINI in Sport mode all the time which makes the mapping on the throttle/regen even more sensitive and it didn't take long at all to adapt to it, while still getting the same efficiency I was before.

OP
OP
Michaewh

Michaewh

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 BMW i3 BEV, 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG
Occupation
Business Owner
Will you be keeping your i3 as a commuter vehicle when you take delivery of the R1T?

How did the R1T feel to you both from a driving dynamics and visibility perspective relative to your i3? I am excited about the R1T but have been completely spoiled by the i3's handling, visibility, seating position, seating comfort (even as a 6'5 Sasquatch) and insane turning radius.
I absolutely adore my i3. It's the perfect city car, in my mind. But, I don't think I can justify 2 EVs. I will miss the compact size and light weight...

I wish I had more time with the R1T, but first impressions were that handling is good for a truck, but shows it weight, visibility is good, seats have great adjustability and comfort is excellent (I'm only 5'9"). Oh and turning radius is decent.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I absolutely adore my i3. It's the perfect city car, in my mind. But, I don't think I can justify 2 EVs. I will miss the compact size and light weight...

I wish I had more time with the R1T, but first impressions were that handling is good for a truck, but shows it weight, visibility is good, seats have great adjustability and comfort is excellent (I'm only 5'9"). Oh and turning radius is decent.
@Michaewh I am in the same situation as you and also can't justify the i3 when the R1T comes. Saying goodbye to my i3s will be hard as I too absolutely love it. To echo your point, it is the greatest city car ever, and I spent a lot of my youth in parts of Europe learning to drive (and then driving) the original mini coopers. I find the i3 to be vastly superior to the mini and even more spacious.

Thank you for posting about your experience in the R1T. That gives me hope that it will lesson the blow from giving up the i3. I will have to get used to parking and driving something with that much length and heft. We'll see how that goes...
Sponsored