Sponsored

Regen reduction needs sound notification

mroe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

For a truck that makes so many noises, I'm amazed that I get no audio notification when the battery regen is reduced. This is arguably the only notification I need and it's extremely dangerous without. I drive with the expectation that I can one-pedal drive and cannot be surprised when regenerative braking is reduced or else I may hit something in front of me!
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
As long as it can be turned off, I would be ok with the add.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I get a notification with sound pretty regularly. If it did it every time and couldn't be turned off, I'd put my truck up for sale.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
I get a notification with sound pretty regularly. If it did it every time and couldn't be turned off, I'd put my truck up for sale.
100%. Driving from a mountain you will see regen reduced on/off a lot. This chiming would drive me crazy if I couldn't turn it off.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
The truck shows a notification on the center screen if battery Regen is reduced due to battery charge and it shows you on the meter screen that Regen is reduced. The power meter clearly shows when you have full Regen or reduced Regen.

Sponsored

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
The truck shows a notification on the center screen if battery Regen is reduced due to battery charge and it shows you on the meter screen that Regen is reduced. The power meter clearly shows when you have full Regen or reduced Regen.
Plus, you always have access to your friction brake...

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Yeah I can see it maybe being useful when it happens the first time, but I'd rather have it be an option. I drive up and down the Colorado mountains a ton and I hit regen limits a dozen times a trip. The constant bing bong would drive me nuts.

That said even with reduced regen it typically will hold speed in most sections of I70 which is a high speed descent, just about the highest amount of regen power you'll see anywhere. If you're on a slower stretch of road you'll run into that issue less.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Last time coming back from skiing (Colorado) and the dang chime in our R1T kept going off once every 5 minutes. It would chime when regen reduction happened from full-regen AND chime again when it changed from one level of reduction to another. Has anyone else experienced this? It was not my favorite.

OP
OP
mroe

mroe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

Last time coming back from skiing (Colorado) and the dang chime in our R1T kept going off once every 5 minutes. It would chime when regen reduction happened from full-regen AND chime again when it changed from one level of reduction to another. Has anyone else experienced this? It was not my favorite.
So you are hearing a chime notification when regen amount changes? Maybe it's just one that doesn't play over music like the blind spot warnings and therefore I don't hear it. I just keep on getting surprised by the truck when it doesn't predictably brake.

diehlryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Maybe not when regen is reduced, a screen notification is good enough. Maybe a cue that they are going to cut the regen off mid-regen. That's happened to me before when the reduced regen goes from reduced to almost zero. Truck quickly speeds up going downhill and its a bit of a shock.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If they do implement this it better have a toggle to disable it! I 100% DO NOT WANT to hear that nonsense.

The R1T already limits regen way too often, so having a constant audible beep would be agony.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Instead, I'd rather the brakes were blended in when regen is reduced so that the deceleration feel was consistent from one pedal (and could be disabled for the disablers).

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

So you are hearing a chime notification when regen amount changes? Maybe it's just one that doesn't play over music like the blind spot warnings and therefore I don't hear it. I just keep on getting surprised by the truck when it doesn't predictably brake.
Yes. It seems that it chimes at me whenever anything regen related changes. It’s true that I did not have music on that time.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I guess this is a benefit of living in a flat area, I had no idea regen would disable itself mid drive. I've only ever had regen be limited when the battery is at a high SoC. TIL

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Mine dings when it's cold out and I first start going. Doesn't ding again to say more regen is available as the battery warms up. I just watch the regen meter to judge how much I can expect to slow down with 1 pedal.
Sponsored