Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Curiosity got the better of me and I wondered what exactly is in that powered tonneau cover space on the manual/no tonneau versions. How much or little of the hardware is there and how difficult is the space to access?

No surprise, all the hardware is gone. I didn't check to see if any of the wiring for the motor or open/close button was still present. But I was surprised to see how easy it was to access the empty cavity. Just 8 plastic covers and bolts to remove the back panel in the bed and you can gain access to the space.

It's not a huge amount of space and I'm guessing that water could run through there, but it would be handy to store some tools or recovery gear. I'm thinking of making a new panel to go here out of wood or plastic with a hinged door and tumbler lock. The stock panel dimensions are roughly 48.25" x 17.5" and it sticks out about 1.5" at the bottom which I may not try to copy.

Looking to get some feedback from the community on any other ideas or suggestions for using the space.

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

Corner of the space with the one way flaps into the cabin. Lifting the flaps you can see the foam cushioning of the rear seats. Too bad the rear seat backs don't fold. That would be convenient access.

IMG_1973.jpg

Part number info for the plastic bed panel. If I could source another panel, I'd cut one of those up instead of making one out of plastic or wood.

Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 8.46.48 AM.png
I think the easiest and most logical thing is to replace those two brackets with a hinge. You can drop in a molded box and then have a lid - using the existing panel - and have space as a toolbox. Since the front rail looks metallic, you can eve drill the center and have a keyed lock on it.

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

I didn't explore how to access it from the top. It looks like it would be quite a bit more involved. There's at least a metal plate and the top plastic trim piece. There are some more pics and video of the top pieces removed in this thread https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/diy-tonneau-repairs-anyone-try-to-do-this-yet.6208/page-6. That is for the powered tonneau cover, but I think it would be similar enough in terms of plastic clips and overlapping trim pieces.

Also just as a side note, it appears that the empty space extends underneath the back glass a little bit. So if you accessed it from the top, the opening would be narrower and you might risk damaging the glass if you're taking things in and out of there all the time.
Good point. I measured mine and the top panel is only 4” wide in the center and 5.5” at the sides. This would not be good for access.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing. I think this is a prime opportunity for a company like @EV Sportline or @builtrightind to produce a replacement panel that features a lockable compartment utilizing the additional space leftover from the powered tonneau cover. I like the drawer option, too!

Sponsored

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing. I think this is a prime opportunity for a company like @EV Sportline or @builtrightind to produce a replacement panel that features a lockable compartment utilizing the additional space leftover from the powered tonneau cover. I like the drawer option, too!
😉

Bf3

Site Sponsor
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interrobang.store
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I think the easiest and most logical thing is to replace those two brackets with a hinge. You can drop in a molded box and then have a lid - using the existing panel - and have space as a toolbox. Since the front rail looks metallic, you can eve drill the center and have a keyed lock on it.
I’ve been thinking about this project for a few weeks now. While I think it’s theoretically possible to get it to open from the top, I don’t think the juice is worth the squeeze here. The way the trim pieces sit on top, there would be lots of cutting involved, and I don’t think it would end up looking very clean. The side trim sits on top of that rear piece behind the window. I think replacing the rear bed panel that was removed in the photo is the path of least resistance. I’m also concerned about hitting the rear window with a top opening solution given how delicate rivians glass seems to be.

Sponsored

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette Z06, Cherokee, Nissan Titan, BMW 1200GSA
Could be a spot for the air compressor accessories bag. Make the bag bigger so you can actually get everything back in the bag. Also a spot for extra ball hitches, tow straps other emergency gear that doesn’t get used frequently, bit is nice to have, just in case.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Could be a spot for the air compressor accessories bag. Make the bag bigger so you can actually get everything back in the bag. Also a spot for extra ball hitches, tow straps other emergency gear that doesn’t get used frequently, bit is nice to have, just in case.
Yes, exactly. Perhaps a bottle jack if there is enough room...

A usable compartment is a nice consolation prize for those that missed, or opted out of, the powered tonneau cover.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
We need to see a fly rod for scale

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I like the idea of a storage area, but doesn't the glass sit partially
Thanks for doing this and sharing. I’d like to use this area for storage and don’t care about a tonneau. To do this it would be preferable to access the area from the top rather than the back.

Did you happen to explore the potential to remove the top cover? I noticed a bracket attaching it. I wonder if that bracket could be replaced or modified with a hInge.
8994A60D-8A21-4476-81D1-E6D5D8AF0E34.jpeg
Whats unfortunate is the rear glass curves over the area where the powered tonneau resides. So making a compartment with lid that potentially flips up, with a latch facing the bed of the truck wouldn't work well unless you're okay with a 2" or so wide lid opening.

Borrowed the above photo to mark up.
Rivian R1T R1S Reclaiming empty powered tonneau cover space 1677796038285

timgradywy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC40 Recharge, CTS-V2, Triumph TR6.
Personally, I'd love to retrofit a power tonneau to mine using that space. If that's not possible, a manual tonneau, subwoofer box (looks like the cabin vent could be used to port this into the truck), tool box, or the other ideas here are quite good.
Sponsored