Sponsored

Recent R1S builds has only 2 Tie Downs?

ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner
Test drive on Friday only had two. But I swear I’ve seen four in all of the others.
Sponsored

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
In PR / Promo / early builds for show they all had 4 so the expectation was set there.

I do typically use all 4 for a cargo net that anchors in all 4 corners.

I received 2 in my delivery. Asked my guide about it and she recommended just asking Service to provide 2 more. So I opened a support ticket along with my others for panel fixes and was told by service center after that they are officially only delivering with 2 now.

Always seems a bit worse when expecting more than you get, but honestly not a huge deal. Just not what I was expecting.

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
dang. so no 12v and only one magnet instead of two for the false floor in the frunk. only two tie downs. anything else they've removed?

not deal breakers though. and if it helps their margins without significantly impacting what we were sold, them im ok with it.
The next to go will be the Gear Guard cable. It will become an extra cost item.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

And after that it might simply be Rivian altogether. All these little things add up quickly.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

The next to go will be the Gear Guard cable. It will become an extra cost item.
that sounds like a possibility.

its one thing to remove h/w features but if they start locking down s/w features that were previously included i think i'll be pissed.

Sponsored

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Maybe it’s a supply chain issue? Whatever the reason, I’ll buy another pair if they sell them as an accessory and the price is close to reasonable. (2 for $50?)

I was about to ask, CAN you buy them. I really want 4 so I can use a cargo net style device in the back and have stuff "strapped" to the floor.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I was about to ask, CAN you buy them. I really want 4 so I can use a cargo net style device in the back and have stuff "strapped" to the floor.
I will want to buy 2 when we get our R1S I don’t know if it’s possible today but I suspect that if we can’t then we can buy them s00n. :)

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I will want to buy 2 when we get our R1S I don’t know if it’s possible today but I suspect that if we can’t then we can buy them s00n. :)
There’s no official way to buy tie downs, spare tires, key fobs, etc. Try going thru the SC or your guide to ask. The consistent response is “watch for it in the gear shop soon”. Your mileage may vary.

EmPickle

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Honda Odyssey, Miata
Occupation
Geek
It is a little misleading. Munroe just had an R1S to review briefly and they touched on the tie downs. There were 4.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Seems like a ripe opportunity for 3rd parties... I can think of a few rail accessories that aren't tie-downs that could be a nice addition back there. I was already thinking of finding a way to throw a few 80/20 extrusions side to side that could latch in and be a basis for easily removable storage that's securely mounted to the floor, but remains very quick to pull out if not needed. or add some uprights and a mesh of some kind for keeping pups from coming over the seats. Or any number of things once you have a flexible tie-down replacement. It doesn't seem like a difficult mechanism to "clone" just need the right measurements. This is definitely a place where aftermarket options can be vastly better than OEM anyway, and considering there's next to no utility for only 2 connection points aftermarket just got a lot more appealing.

Is there anyone in IL/Chicago area with an R1S? I'd love to get some measurements on the stock tie-downs and play with some ideas

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I agree. The utility of having the rails far exceeds the tie downs provided by Rivian.

Just off the top of my head, I can think of:
- Dog fence retainer to keep the pup in the back
- Sliding table when parked or loading ingress/egress
- Sliding drawer/shelf/powered cooler holder or anything like it

So I say let the accessory folks do their magic. Just try not to make them cost an arm and a leg!

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
It is a little misleading. Munroe just had an R1S to review briefly and they touched on the tie downs. There were 4.
Munro was also saying how expensive the tie down rails are and maybe they should be a $ option, not standard. lol won’t be surprised if there are some changes in 2023.

supervlover

First Name
suPERV
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi
Are there any aftermarket tie downs that fit these rails? Really prefer 4.

Seano

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, Porsche Box, BMW Wagon, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

Same! Always use 4 tie downs in RR to hold a cargo net - keeps stuff from tossing around

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Hello everyone. Looks like Rivian is including only 2 tie downs instead of 4 in the recent builds. My R1S's VIN is xx855. Not sure when they changed from 4 to 2 tie downs. Does all the recent R1S deliveries come with only 2 tie downs?

Tiedowns.jpg
To my knowledge, they never came with 4. If you want 2 extra - you will need to purchase them.
Sponsored