First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gladiator, R1T (my sons)
Occupation
Software
We did a range test tonight towing a Tab400 from nuCamp. I’ll put the video together and get results calculated over the next few days… Any guesses?

Of course posting might be difficult since we’ll be on a 3 day overlanding trip in Southern and central Colorado 🙂

update:

Rivian R1T R1S Range Test Towing a nuCamp Tab400 IMG_5931
Sponsored

Last edited:

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

My guess is 40% range reduction. Good luck and have fun!

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
Can't wait for the results to this! I very seriously considered a Tab 400 but ended up going with a slightly larger trailer (4200lbs, 19'). So your results should help inform what I should expect.

It's going to depend a lot on how fast you're going. If it's 55 or 60.. looks like you're on ATs so I'm going to guess you get about 58% or 167mi total. (100 miles even between charges if you're going 20-80%).

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

In perfect conditions 1.4 mi per kwh. Add on a headwind could easily drop it below 1 mi per kwh. These trucks are affected more my aero than by weight.

I will have a video coming hopefully next Saturday of a 125 mi road trip with our Coachmen Apex 245 BHS Ultra lite. This trailer is 4600 dry but probably a little over 5000 with our stuff in it and some water in the tanks.

A little spoiler....a 10 mph headwind makes a HUGE difference with efficiency when towing a TT.

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

I get right at 1.2 @ 60mph, it drops to closer to 1.0 @ 65.

my guess is with slightly better aero, 1.35@60 1.1@65
Rivian R1T R1S Range Test Towing a nuCamp Tab400 FACB7BBD-9F78-44B7-BEF7-F5FB9ABF0E78

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
We did a range test tonight towing a Tab400 from nuCamp. I’ll put the video together and get results calculated over the next few days… Any guesses?

Of course posting might be difficult since we’ll be on a 3 day overlanding trip in Southern and central Colorado 🙂

IMG_5931.jpeg
thinking about getting the Tab 400 so I’m anxious to see how it fared. Any other feedback on the experience?

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
This weekend my wife and I went from Stafford CT to Brewster Ma (cape cod). Approx 150 mile trip. One stop halfway in wrentham ma. On way their EA charger was degraded. Approx 45kw - doubled wait an extra hour (approx 2 hours total). We unhooked at a truck stop 5 minutes away and drove to the outlets where the chargers were not knowing if we could get our 5800 lb Rockwood mini lite thru parking etc. On way home - we stopped at same place. Took trailer in with us parked in a far away part of the lot. Chargers were zipping and took about an hour. We went to lunch while charging. As we ate the place filled up and when we returned to the trailer. We we blocked in by a CRV parked right in front of our hitch. We waited another hour before they came out and we could get home. Lesson learned - put trailer where you can’t be blocked in regardless of open space. The truck towed well. We did average about 1.0m for the traveling on mostly highway. This was our 1st time towing and we are generally happy. i Just need to figure out out to back this thing around. I’m in a mental funk trying to get the hang of this!

OP
OP

AaronInColorado

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gladiator, R1T (my sons)
Occupation
Software
Just got done. The range test video will post tomorrow morning on this channel. It's a new channel so would really appreciate your feedback and a sub if you are interested. Both help me to get the word out and get better at this...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAABK4NJgAl2p22ja0K9u_A

Sponsored

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for doing that test. I hope Thompson springs and Moab get fast chargers so towing that direction is feasible. I live in Grand Junction and our trailer is a bit bigger (Jayco Jayfeather 22bhm) and it's 100 miles to Green River, the nearest fast charger to the west. Feel free to send me a message the next time you're in this area, It'd be great to chat!

OP
OP

AaronInColorado

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gladiator, R1T (my sons)
Occupation
Software
Thanks for doing that test. I hope Thompson springs and Moab get fast chargers so towing that direction is feasible. I live in Grand Junction and our trailer is a bit bigger (Jayco Jayfeather 22bhm) and it's 100 miles to Green River, the nearest fast charger to the west. Feel free to send me a message the next time you're in this area, It'd be great to chat!
Yeah. The lack of a fast charger in Moab is an issue. We charged at the amazing Under Canvas resort which has l2 rivian chargers.
And yeah, I’d love to get together when we get over there. Feel free to ping me when you head east.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Spoiler alert: .96 to 1.02 mi/kWh.

Points for video:
Better to have text on displays in focus than the dark night roads
Add text overlays to your points instead of just audio talking about points
Point of detail: I tow an empty single axle 1200lb landscape trailer, sometimes filled with household items, and average about 1.6mi/kWh whether empty or full......

OP
OP

AaronInColorado

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gladiator, R1T (my sons)
Occupation
Software
Point of detail: I tow an empty single axle 1200lb landscape trailer, sometimes filled with household items, and average about 1.6mi/kWh whether empty or full......
So the height probably does make a big difference as we thought. It would be interesting to see a tab320 or a tagX and see if we could get 1.6...
Sponsored