Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

is it Rivian installing the hardware or local contractors they hire to install the equipment?

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Contractors, always.
Wonder if its just lack of installable equipment or something else holding up finishing local install. 1 cabinet is installed, conduits run, etc.

Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
The link below is to a Google Map that I have created with 3 layers. It is pretty raw right now, so I'll put all the information about it first. The link should stay good even as I try to polish things up over time.

I also can't promise that it will always be up to date. If Rivian changes locations on their map, well... those aren't going to be updated on mine because I won't necessarily ever learn that they've updated it, and too many updates will simply take time that I might not have for this project. If someone lets me know, I might be able to do one-off updates. If someone lets me know of major changes to the RAN map, I can probably do some bigger updates.

The 3 layers:
1) The RAN addresses that are "known" or guessed based on information in other threads in this forum -- right now it's the Salida, CO location and the locations shared for CA that were based on utility jobs involving PG&E.

2) Crudely-place points for RAN locations based on the Rivian.com map. They're crudely placed because all we can extract from the Rivian map is a fairly high-level of zoom with large icons. The icons appear to mostly be placed in the city or general area anyway. These are not exact locations and should only be treated as being within a 10-15 mile radius. They also don't reflect actual charging stations, just the areas that Rivian is loosely planning to put locations. I hope to name these points, but that's very time-consuming. A possible solution for that might be coming, and if it does will be reflected in an updated version of this layer. These points are based on the RAN map on 6/26/2021.

3) Electrify America locations I pulled from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory's data on alternative fuel stations, including EV chargers. This data is good as of 6/26/2021.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/2/edit?mid=1F-jpeAQfTwoHqy4dYtOStXLckGA714TJ&usp=sharing

If there are any features that people think are critical to this being usable, let me know and I can try to add them. Please keep in mind that some of this is time consuming and I do have a full-time job and other responsibilities and hobbies, so I make NO promises about adding anything or when it might happen. :)

If anybody is interested, I can share a geo-referenced TIFF file of the RAN map that I screen-capped from their website in pieces, stitched together, and then geo-referenced in QGIS. It can be opened in Google Earth if anybody wants to play with that at all. I can also share a KML file that has all of these unlabeled RAN points.

Finally, if automating the point names isn't doable, I will probably have to defer to others who are interested in crowdsourcing some of this. In that situation, I can share the map through Google Drive to let others edit. More on that if needed.

UPDATE (7/9/21):
1) I added a 4th layer: Rivian service and/or sales locations. I will start adding to it this weekend based on location information in this forum. (minor update 7/10: I added the ones that looked like very solid addresses from the thread on service centers and showrooms)
2) I am starting to add fields for additional data for each point, including status (permit, construction, online, ??). I will also try to have Google use different icons and/or colors for each status. It should work perfectly, but there are so few points with different statuses right now that I'm not 100% sure it will scale the way I expect. (minor update 7/10: I have also added a field for the source for the info, usually a URL to a RivianForums post or to a news article.)
3) Automating the point names for my "crude placement" layer was going to end up being trickier than the time it would actually save. I was able to churn out about 100 in an hour while watching tv (so not moving as quickly as I could with 100% attention). I will keep churning on that over time. Eventually I will get them all named, but honestly I don't think the names really matter all that much, so I'm not in a big rush.
4) I am going to look at some other options for this whole setup beyond just the basic Google My Maps. Those may allow a little more flexibility on crowdsourcing updated locations or status. "Free" is currently the most important criterion though, so I think it's going to stay where it is for now. The good news is that the data should be easily exportable from My Maps, so work done now won't go to waste if I change later.

UPDATE (12/10/22):
1) The layer for "target areas" now reflects 3 statuses: Open, Soon, and Other/Unknown. That will give an overall impression of progress and what's expected to come in the short and long term.
2) The layer with known addresses, including Open, Construction, and Permit will stay the same.
Auto - thanks so much for this.

Question, I see there is a P for permit or pending for NYS, around crossing of Route 87 and Route 84 at a Home Depot.

Is there any way I or you or someone else can tell if that is a high speed or a L2?

Many thanks, as this is a key area for me when I go to the Catskills and it is a white space from metro ny. There are many near Albany if you are going to ADKs but not cats. Thanks, D

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Drove down to Village of Oak Creek, AZ today. Progress is being made at the RAN site but not ready for prime time.

6BE10AE3-740B-4386-A7EF-F3D1F385688E.jpeg

C5E358B1-BAFF-49CC-A788-4643239BD456.jpeg

Local RAN station is a bit beyond this. But has been sitting unfinished for at least 2-3 months now.

OP
OP

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Auto - thanks so much for this.

Question, I see there is a P for permit or pending for NYS, around crossing of Route 87 and Route 84 at a Home Depot.

Is there any way I or you or someone else can tell if that is a high speed or a L2?

Many thanks, as this is a key area for me when I go to the Catskills and it is a white space from metro ny. There are many near Albany if you are going to ADKs but not cats. Thanks, D
You're talking about the one in Newburgh, NY? The source for that location is a post in this thread from TeamEV that links to their tweet with the actual permits:

It's definitely RAN DCFC and not level 2.

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
You're talking about the one in Newburgh, NY? The source for that location is a post in this thread from TeamEV that links to their tweet with the actual permits:

You rock and thank you. Man the internet is bad but it is so good too. The bad part is people screaming at each other on facebook . . . .

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic

Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Is there a way to see a zoomed in map like these of Florida?
If it is for Rivian you can go to his original link, clink the charger types you want and zoom in . . .

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

This is good to see but in the map Rivian shows there is no planned charger here. In fact very few planned currently in NY state. The unknown is how far they are projecting out with their map since there are only about 45 yellow markers and over 580 RAN sites to go!

OP
OP

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
This is good to see but in the map Rivian shows there is no planned charger here. In fact very few planned currently in NY state. The unknown is how far they are projecting out with their map since there are only about 45 yellow markers and over 580 RAN sites to go!
The Newburgh area was on their original full plan. It's not listed on their current map as "coming soon", so they've got a permit but probably don't have the supply to get down the list that far. We don't know what "Soon" means for that map. I hope it's something pretty short like 30 days or something, but I'll bet it's 90-120 days.

FWIW, the original plan had at least 15 target areas in NY.

Added: Among the ~40 "soon" sites that are currently showing on Rivian.com, we have some sign of construction at 23 of them and permits or other address confirmation at another 7. There are also signs of construction at a RAN site in Lynwood, WA that is NOT on the "soon" map.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

The Newburgh area was on their original full plan. It's not listed on their current map as "coming soon", so they've got a permit but probably don't have the supply to get down the list that far. We don't know what "Soon" means for that map. I hope it's something pretty short like 30 days or something, but I'll bet it's 90-120 days.

FWIW, the original plan had at least 15 target areas in NY.

Added: Among the ~40 "soon" sites that are currently showing on Rivian.com, we have some sign of construction at 23 of them and permits or other address confirmation at another 7. There are also signs of construction at a RAN site in Lynwood, WA that is NOT on the "soon" map.
90-120 days seems reasonable and gives hope that they will get towards 100 by end of year which is really the minimum since they had originally aimed for 600 by year end.
For the service centers I am assuming those listed as coming up are by end of year since an SC should take longer to build out than a RAN.
Sponsored