Sponsored

Radio stayed on and drained the battery. Why?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Rivian should really add a notification in the app alerting that vehicle is still on. They already do this for unlocked (maybe door open and windows down too?)
Yeah they do for doors and windows but I don’t trust it. Ever since they added that feature in the app it has said my drivers side window is open which isn’t true. Tried recalibration multiple times but no luck.
Sponsored

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Good morning folks. A weird thing happened overnight and I can’t figure out if this is normal or not.
Wife and I have had our R1S for one week; we’re still very much in the educational phase. This is our first EV. Last night I drove the car, parked in the garage, got out and walked into the house. I’m using PAAK and didn’t have the fob with me.
The radio was playing a local digital radio channel, and apparently stayed on all night, taking the battery down 15-20% overnight. Now, for the entire week or so that we’ve owned the car, once I’ve walked away, the radio has turned off. I mean, I’ve only driven it maybe six times, so I don’t exactly have a huge data set here to reference against, but I’m certain this hasn’t happened before. Normal behavior up to now has been, once I walk away and it locks, everything turns off. We’ve not even used exterior camera monitoring.
Did I have something set wrong? Or is this a malfunction?
I have had this happen to me about twice in 18ish months of ownership. Probably twice this year and not prior.

I am unable to determine what I did to be able to repeatedly replicate it. Not a seatbelt item or slightly ajar door issue as far as I can tell.

Each time I experienced it, I still heard the bass of the music after I got out and locked the truck with the FOB. I use the FOB only. Opening the door, closing the door with me and the key in the drivers seat, and then exiting and relocking is what worked. Just opening and closing doors didn't function as a fix. It is almost like the truck thinks the FOB is still inside the truck and a re-entry and exit was needed to re-sync. However, the screens were off both times when the music was still playing.

So, unlike you, I never had this issue go for extended time like you have mentioned. However, IMO, there is some sort of software and hardware condition that causes the issue.

If it happens again, I'll be sure to capture a diagnostic and file an issue with Rivian.

TL:DR

I've experienced similar. Appears to be an issue of unknown conditions. You are not alone.

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Makes sense. I wish the auto world would figure out a way to handle that bad scenario of forgotten kids in vehicles.
My MachE has rear occupant alerts that triggers whenever the back door is opened - if back door is opened, prompt to check rear passengers when parked is the trigger. It’s an easily solved issue.
Works great (even if I’ve since disabled it, no young kids anymore)

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Crap. I had a bunch of stuff in the passenger seat, with that seat belt buckled. Was that the issue?
Truck stays on when seatbelt is left plugged in. It was not just the radio but also the climate control and computers that stayed on and drained the 15-20%. Maybe it’s possible we will see a future update of the “Fixed a rare issue when a seatbelt is left plugged in but no person is in the seat…” variety

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I used to think keeping a seat belt buckled draining the battery was a dumb complaint because it was a freak situation. That is until my uncle did it in my truck for reasons a couple weeks ago on my cross country trip. I caught it before it was an issue but still, it happens and there should be some kind of warning.

Oxbow78

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Makes sense. I wish the auto world would figure out a way to handle that bad scenario of forgotten kids in vehicles.

But it seems the front then is just for convenience to keep audio/hvac, future streaming, etc... all function when a passenger stays in vehicle. In that case, I agree....start some 10 minute or something countdown, then send a alert to app and put one on in vehicle screen, saying 2 minutes till shutdown if button not pushed to defeat.
Car seats are figuring it out. We have one for my nephew that will send an alert to our phone if weight is detected in the car seats and we are out of it. It also monitored temperature when in use.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Car seats are figuring it out. We have one for my nephew that will send an alert to our phone if weight is detected in the car seats and we are out of it. It also monitored temperature when in use.
That is super cool! I have been out of the kid seat game for a long time and didn't know that.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I used to think keeping a seat belt buckled draining the battery was a dumb complaint because it was a freak situation. That is until my uncle did it in my truck for reasons a couple weeks ago on my cross country trip. I caught it before it was an issue but still, it happens and there should be some kind of warning.
Or Rivian could give you a way to turn the car off.
Ok, I've said it enough times, I'll stop now. Just such a head scratcher.

Sponsored

VGA

First Name
Vikas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Rivian should really add a notification in the app alerting that vehicle is still on. They already do this for unlocked (maybe door open and windows down too?)
Slightly unrelated but kinda related question...how much does the battery drain if R1S is in the garage not used per day....quad motor

I am losing about 2-3% every day...is that normal?

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Slightly unrelated but kinda related question...how much does the battery drain if R1S is in the garage not used per day....quad motor

I am losing about 2-3% every day...is that normal?
well, I lost 10% in 7 days. Meanwhile, I think my Luicd has lost only a few percent in the same time period. Rivian needs to fix this!!

VGA

First Name
Vikas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
well, I lost 10% in 7 days. Meanwhile, I think my Luicd has lost only a few percent in the same time period. Rivian needs to fix this!!
I just found another thread on this topic....Vampire drain...they go into a lot of detail on this topic...but still agree...its unacceptable

OP
OP

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

I just found another thread on this topic....Vampire drain...they go into a lot of detail on this topic...but still agree...its unacceptable
Not exactly the same I don’t think. Vampire drain is when everything is off, and you’re losing a tiny bit of juice each day. In my case, it was the seatbelt being fastened, and I lost almost 20% in one day. Different, and vastly worse.
Sponsored