Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

St. Louis is similar to Chicago (I grew up in Chicago and now live in St. Louis). Given your experience, would you buy again?
Absolutely. Don't get me wrong the truck is still a better ride on the street than any of my other vehicles I just feel they could have a softer option.
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I think one of the challenges of R1 is the massive range of operation and weight.

On one hand it can act almost like a sports car. On other hand it can act like a Raptor/Trx off road. It can be slammed low and lifted high. All while carrying around 7k#.

That is alot to ask of many components. And requires alot to be pretty hard/stiff, like bushings, etc....robust...like half shafts.

I suspect all that combines to make it very difficult to make it do all that, and then somehow act like a LX600. I don't think it is maybe possible, at least at the price point.

If there is one thing I think may have helped, it would have been to design the chassis in a way it would have been more tradional truck with body isolators from the chassis. I feel a impact type vibration thru the chassis that I think could have been isolated that way. But that would have negatives too.

All that considered...I think it is really good at the mission it has been designed to.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I think one of the challenges of R1 is the massive range of operation and weight.

On one hand it can act almost like a sports car. On other hand it can act like a Raptor/Trx off road.
It’s a jack of all trades and exhibits the performance sacrifices as such. Better than most trucks on road and most trucks off-road but it can’t hold a candle to a real sports car or a real off-road truck like a TRX.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
It’s a jack of all trades and exhibits the performance sacrifices as such. Better than most trucks on road and most trucks off-road but it can’t hold a candle to a real sports car or a real off-road truck like a TRX.
Eh, you won't out Baja a TRX or Raptor, but at the same time, most of the trails around me are way too narrow to fit either of those down, so in my area at least, you're not going to out off-road an R1T because you simply can't get to half the places the smaller form factor can.

Different strokes, and all that :)

kozak79

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Visual Effects
Clubs

It's definitely bumpy on my R1T. I had an F-150 Lightning for a few weeks and it was like driving a Cadillac, super smooth. My R1T is like driving a G Wagon.

Sponsored

IRun

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Model 3
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

I feel like moving from a stiff suspension on my Explorer ST to the R1T it was great. Since i've gotten used to it or perhaps the cold weather, it feels like it is subpar now.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
I like the R1t ride much more than the model x. I do think there is somet tweaking to be done though, at certain speeds I think the suspension is a bit too tight over larger bumps. They can definitely adjust this - it's just a matter of priority. I'm envisioning eventually a comfort mode. Right now if you ride around an on ramp loop at like 60 mph the truck doesn't roll at all even in all purpose. That said you'll of course sacrifice a lot of the sporty feel in that comfort mode because it will be more of a slow bounce over hilly areas and more roll in turns. Also for like small bumps I found reducing PSI in 21 by like 5-6 psi didn't affect range a ton but did make the ride better.

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I am somewhat surprised to hear a lot of people say that they R1T drives better than their model X. I was in my model X plaid for about six months, and there’s no question that in my opinion, it drove much quicker, more nimble, and smoother than the R1T. Not that the R1T is not amazing for its size, but I thought the model X was overall a more refined driving experience.

TCM75

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X7 M50i, Cayenne Diesel, Viper R/T 10
Occupation
Business Owner
You know, I've seen a lot of people gush about how great the Rivian rides; I've not found that to be the case. I have 5000 miles on my R1S and it's harsh on mildly irregular surfaces...I live in NJ, so that's pretty much most places. A lot of suspension/component "slap" as well.

Unfortunately I just picked up a screw in my tire sidewall so I went to order a new tire and Tire Rack has my tire (22") on closeout. Looks like they made a change from '22 to '23 model year which may improve things going forward.

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
You know, I've seen a lot of people gush about how great the Rivian rides; I've not found that to be the case. I have 5000 miles on my R1S and it's harsh on mildly irregular surfaces...I live in NJ, so that's pretty much most places. A lot of suspension/component "slap" as well.

Unfortunately I just picked up a screw in my tire sidewall so I went to order a new tire and Tire Rack has my tire (22") on closeout. Looks like they made a change from '22 to '23 model year which may improve things going forward.
I mostly agree. I think if you are going from another truck to a Rivian, the R1T performs really well. In most surfaces, I think it’s smooth and fun to drive. But, in some situations, there’s a fair amount of bump and roll, in my opinion.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
The support here has been awesome. This is a great community of car drivers. I have really enjoyed my time here and my time with my Rivian. That said, I made the difficult decision to bail on my R1T and go back to my Model X Plaid.

I suspect there is a very small subset of people that are cross shopping between an R1T and a Model X. They are different cars with different purposes. I was one of those few people. If you have any interest in my experience, feel free to read about it here.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I find it to be the road breaks that are most annoying. Not even the big stuff. Just the quick impacts of midwest roads. Sets off a small vibration (not to mention the thump/thunk mine has) thru the whole chassis.

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
The support here has been awesome. This is a great community of car drivers. I have really enjoyed my time here and my time with my Rivian. That said, I made the difficult decision to bail on my R1T and go back to my Model X Plaid.

I suspect there is a very small subset of people that are cross shopping between an R1T and a Model X. They are different cars with different purposes. I was one of those few people. If you have any interest in my experience, feel free to read about it here.
I just read your TMC review, very thoughtful, thanks. I too have an MXP, but I’m going to hang onto it at least through the first week or 1000 mikes with the R1T when it arrives shortly.

I concur with a lot of what you mentioned, but I also find it interesting how we all have different experiences with the same vehicles.

For example, I agree about the Tesla horn, but otherwise I like the yoke more than a wheel. If/when I get another S/X, I’ll order with the yoke. I’m 40,000 miles into driving with the yoke split between a MSP and MXP so I think I’ve made me decision .

Then on the other hand you seem to enjoy the doors of the X. I pretty much hate them. The auto opening feature I turned off because it drive me nuts. And I always feel like I’m fighting the doors. Getting into the damn car when it’s parallel parked in LA, I want things to happen fast since I may be in traffic. Instead I have to fight the damn door. And the falcon wing doors…don’t get me started…

Anyway, I appreciate your review and with the beating used Tesla’s took the last month or so, I’ll hang onto the X for awhile, ultimately I’ll probably switch back to a MSP again. I’m very concerned about the charging, UI/UX, service, etc. when comparing Rivian to Tesla. I suspect that the Rivian may expose just how much work and infrastructure Tesla has done and I may really miss it.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I think people gush more on the T compared to the S since the truck seems to ride better.

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I just read your TMC review, very thoughtful, thanks. I too have an MXP, but I’m going to hang onto it at least through the first week or 1000 mikes with the R1T when it arrives shortly.

I concur with a lot of what you mentioned, but I also find it interesting how we all have different experiences with the same vehicles.

For example, I agree about the Tesla horn, but otherwise I like the yoke more than a wheel. If/when I get another S/X, I’ll order with the yoke. I’m 40,000 miles into driving with the yoke split between a MSP and MXP so I think I’ve made me decision .

Then on the other hand you seem to enjoy the doors of the X. I pretty much hate them. The auto opening feature I turned off because it drive me nuts. And I always feel like I’m fighting the doors. Getting into the damn car when it’s parallel parked in LA, I want things to happen fast since I may be in traffic. Instead I have to fight the damn door. And the falcon wing doors…don’t get me started…

Anyway, I appreciate your review and with the beating used Tesla’s took the last month or so, I’ll hang onto the X for awhile, ultimately I’ll probably switch back to a MSP again. I’m very concerned about the charging, UI/UX, service, etc. when comparing Rivian to Tesla. I suspect that the Rivian may expose just how much work and infrastructure Tesla has done and I may really miss it.
Good stuff. I was so damn wordy on my review, that I didn’t go into as much detail as I could have. I actually kind of like the yoke at this point, but don’t like the horn situation. While I do like the auto present and auto close doors, I agree with you. I also feel like I fight with them a lot. It’s a bit of a love-hate relationship. I think I like the auto close door when you hit the brake pedal the most among the various door features.

I also think the falcon wing doors are cool in some situations, but incredibly annoying in my garage. I’d probably do fine without them. That was actually one of the reasons why I wanted to look at Rivian. At this point, it’s one of those features that I tolerate.

Best of luck!
Sponsored