First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
People report ride quality like this yet I got bashed for mulitple pages when I asked for a future R1 trim with long travel coilovers.
There is a difference between people “bashing” you and people disagreeing with you. Other than saving money there would be even more complaints about the ride for an 8000 lb truck on coilovers.
Sponsored

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
People report ride quality like this yet I got bashed for mulitple pages when I asked for a future R1 trim with long travel coilovers.
Hey, @Goose, for someone who is not totally up to date on this forum, can you give me some context to your comment? Are you in agreement with the ride quality issues I cited? BTW, there is absolutely no reason for anyone to bash anyone else in forums like this. We are all pretty fortunate to have these 1st world problems. I get it. Me included. So, I apologize that you took some heat.

Appreciate your feedback.

cjust2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adv Limestone
Occupation
IT Analyst
I love the adjustable air ride, but I too would be very content with the high setting, with rock sliders, on big coil springs.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

There is a difference between people “bashing” you and people disagreeing with you. Other than saving money there would be even more complaints about the ride for an 8000 lb truck on coilovers.
Yeah, but it's so easy to say your theoreticals are going to be better because you don't have to provide proof.

We have a pretty harsh threshold at the end of our driveway because it's sinking slightly. In the Hummer I could just drive over it at any speed and could hardly tell it was there. In any other vehicle, including the Rivian, we have to go slow if we don't want to get kidney punched by the seats.

Going that slow means the suspension doesn't have the opportunity to absorb anything so it makes the cabin toss the occupants around slightly. Part of why the Hummer was so different was because it had another 5" of tire sidewall compared to my Rivian. But that also contributes to it having terrible dive and roll on the road. If I was overly concerned about comfort, I would not have chosen the 22" wheel combination.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I have 22s and have had a loaner on 20s for the last 11 days. As far as ride comfort I really don't notice much difference besides lower efficiency. Compared to a model YP this thing floats on a cloud depite still being a fairly stiff ride.

Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
The auto journalist consensus matches my own experience. The 22's ride firmer (which is what I have) but I've spent the last three weeks on the 20s and they are a bit more comfortable. However, as far as trucks go, this is on par with my RAM1500 Limited, which, by all accounts is one of the best riding vehicles you can buy (At least in the < 100K or so price range). I've owned several trucks, from the big three and toyota to compare. But, my bias might be slightly towards sport car rides given that my second car is always something in this category.

There are reports of faulty "comfort modules" or other issues that have caused some ride problems. If you are considering returning, I would see what the service center can do first.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
My R1T on 20AT rides excellent in All Purpose, Soft, Standard Ride Height. It does float and bob a bit, but I'm getting used to that character.

Sport, Stiff, Lowest, it is bouncy over bumps, but the cornering is quite good, and is more controlled than my model 3 LR in the twisties. I found Sport, Soft, Low is another neat combination.

With air suspension, it's a combination of the 3 adjustments that creates the ride. Anytime you are at the low or lowest setting, you have less available suspension travel and that will translate more harshness into the cabin.
Select Standard height to prevent it from auto lowering. Use stiff mode to better control the body in rough areas.

Given their system is fully configurable via software, I do have hope they will improve the tuning and eventually offer a middle Damping setting. But, I'm still enjoying the ride without these changes and find it fully superior to my leaf spring Multimatic shocked Colorado ZR2.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
If you've been driving in Sport you're getting Stiff suspension settings and that has a pretty jarring effect. It's supposed to tho, as you're supposed to get more feel from the road and have it be stabler. Sport is meant for throwing it around corners, rallying, drifting, etc.

If you want the most comfortable ride, AP+Soft. It still porpoises over series of bumps a bit, but in my R1T at least, AP+Soft soaks up most bumps without issues. I take the speed bumps in my neighborhood at 40-45 just because the truck mostly floats right over them 😆

EDIT: I'm on 20s, which probably makes a big difference too. 22s are going to be harsher because they've got less sidewall so there's less flex in the tire itself before the suspension even stats accounting for bumps.

diurnate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Junior Rocket Surgeon
I have an R1T on 21” and the same complaints down to the spouse that dislikes riding in the truck due to the bouncing and nausea. I had a friend with 22” come over and we drove loops to compare and agreed the trucks were nearly identical.

I think the key is it does drive like a truck. The bouncing is similar to a new 4-Runner I rented recently. My expectation was that the R1T would feel like a crossover SUV … if the R1S bounces more (per reports) I think I would be unusable as a family car for us.

All that said - the bouncing got noticeably better with the last update where they tuned the suspension. It’s still not what I expect, but no longer aggravating. I’m hopeful that it will continue to improve.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OP is doing it wrong (I mean that nicely). Coils would ride worse. Do I need to follow you from thread to thread making the same points I made in that other thread that you didn't respond to? :eyeroll:

Sponsored

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I have an R1T on 21” and the same complaints down to the spouse that dislikes riding in the truck due to the bouncing and nausea. I had a friend with 22” come over and we drove loops to compare and agreed the trucks were nearly identical.

I think the key is it does drive like a truck. The bouncing is similar to a new 4-Runner I rented recently. My expectation was that the R1T would feel like a crossover SUV … if the R1S bounces more (per reports) I think I would be unusable as a family car for us.

All that said - the bouncing got noticeably better with the last update where they tuned the suspension. It’s still not what I expect, but no longer aggravating. I’m hopeful that it will continue to improve.
This is great feedback. I am torn. I am still in my 7 day window. It would be way easier to part ways now than later. On one hand, I can test the AP/Soft setting to see if I like it. But, what I am trying to avoid is a scenario in which I decide it's close to likable and I therefore wait for it to get better, only to be disappointed. The reality is: A truck is a truck. How much better can it get?

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I would like the current setting to be normal and them add a new soft setting especially for like here in Chicago with the bad roads.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is great feedback. I am torn. I am still in my 7 day window. It would be way easier to part ways now than later. On one hand, I can test the AP/Soft setting to see if I like it. But, what I am trying to avoid is a scenario in which I decide it's close to likable and I therefore wait for it to get better, only to be disappointed. The reality is: A truck is a truck. How much better can it get?
Had mine since June of 22 and it's improved what I would rate 'significantly' in that time, both in terms of ride quality, and overall features/usability/etc.

Jnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Jeep Wrangler, Tesla Model X
Clubs

What were you driving right before the R1T? I suppose those driving ICE trucks find it smooth. I was driving a Tesla Model X, which is about as smooth as they come. So, for me, the change is harsh.
I haven’t driven an R1T on 22’s. I have the 20’s. But we have a Model X, too, and I find the ride in the Rivian vastly superior. I always used to joke in the X that I could feel a cigarette butt in the road in that thing. Our X is a 2019 Raven. Maybe the newer ones are better.

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I would like the current setting to be normal and them add a new soft setting especially for like here in Chicago with the bad roads.
St. Louis is similar to Chicago (I grew up in Chicago and now live in St. Louis). Given your experience, would you buy again?
Sponsored