Sponsored

R1T Ride Quality Harsh on Bumpy Surfaces

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
There is a huge thread on the R1S vs. the R1T, but rather than poring through all 8 pages to find R1T specific feedback, I thought I'd give the R1T its own thread.

I just took delivery of an R1T after about a two year wait. I am still forming my (good and bad) first impressions. The most concerning thing I am noticing is the harshness on bumpy surfaces. I opted for the 22" sport wheels/tires, which is likely a factor. That said, simply driving in a parking lot with some uneven road throws you around the vehicle quite a bit. It even has my wife bouncing around the cabin so much that she intimated she may not want ride in it with me.

I am still playing with drive modes. It does seem that all purpose is a bit smoother than sport driving. I also suspect that my 22's are affecting the ride quality. Does anyone here have any experience directly comparing the 22" tires against any of the other options? Is it foolish to believe that swapping tires and wheels will make a meaningful difference? Have you noticed a significant difference between drive modes in terms of overall ride smoothness?

If my wife is telling me she may not ride in my car, I may consider the 7 day return policy. Bummer.
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Its pretty harsh on the 20s as well...but that was kinda to be expected. At speed its smooth...but low speeds are clunky. Its very strange. Its one of the items the SC will look at for me next month, but pretty sure I'm gonna get "normal".

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Its pretty harsh on the 20s as well...but that was kinda to be expected. At speed its smooth...but low speeds are clunky. Its very strange. Its one of the items the SC will look at for me next month, but pretty sure I'm gonna get "normal".
What were you driving right before the R1T? I suppose those driving ICE trucks find it smooth. I was driving a Tesla Model X, which is about as smooth as they come. So, for me, the change is harsh.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
What were you driving right before the R1T? I suppose those driving ICE trucks find it smooth. I was driving a Tesla Model X, which is about as smooth as they come. So, for me, the change is harsh.
An 2005 TSX with a worn out suspension. lol. For a truck, its fine I imagine. Just makes more noise than I was expecting at low speed.

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
An 2005 TSX with a worn out suspension. lol. For a truck, its fine I imagine. Just makes more noise than I was expecting at low speed.
Thanks, @DaveA. What bothers you about the R1T? The noise? The ride? Both? Like you said, at speed, it feels awesome. On bumps, it's crazy. My wife was wearing a winter coat in the car last night. At really low speed in a parking lot, every bump and uneven spot throw her around so much that I could hear her coat rubbing on itself as she was thrown around the cabin.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Thanks, @DaveA. What bothers you about the R1T? The noise? The ride? Both? Like you said, at speed, it feels awesome. On bumps, it's crazy. My wife was wearing a winter coat in the car last night. At really low speed in a parking lot, every bump and uneven spot throw her around so much that I could hear her coat rubbing on itself as she was thrown around the cabin.
Well, compared to my 1996 F-150, this thing is like riding on a cloud for a truck I imagine. I'm not sure I'm familiar with this "getting thrown around" part....I just think its rough/clunky at low speed in all-purpose mode, soft setting... I just recently started daily driving it, so just some little things coming to light basically.

ThatOneGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
What year was your Tesla Model X?

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I recited a T for a day through Turo as I await my delivery. I am coming from a Sienna. I found the ride on 20” to be excellent, with good dampening of bad pavement, expansion joints etc. low speed was also good, so I am surprised by the comments on poor low speed ride. I would expect 20” to be more comfortable than 22” as you have a much greater sidewall.
Good luck.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I recited a T for a day through Turo as I await my delivery. I am coming from a Sienna. I found the ride on 20” to be excellent, with good dampening of bad pavement, expansion joints etc. low speed was also good, so I am surprised by the comments on poor low speed ride. I would expect 20” to be more comfortable than 22” as you have a much greater sidewall.
Good luck.
I'm hoping the SC finds something amiss with mine.

Sponsored

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
People report ride quality like this yet I got bashed for mulitple pages when I asked for a future R1 trim with long travel coilovers.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I'm hoping the SC finds something amiss with mine.
I hope so because the ride impressed me very much and made me reconsider going for an S given the reviews it has received.

sjohanson

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have the street 21" tires and I have brought tire PSI down to 42 for Atlanta bumpy roads. I am stil looking at getting 20" rims with a tire with more sidewall. I switch my Kia Carnivals 19" to 17" and it rides much better!

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
People report ride quality like this yet I got bashed for mulitple pages when I asked for a future R1 trim with long travel coilovers.
This is at least the second time you have complained about being "bashed" for posting about replacing the air suspension I am just not having it. On your thread you made claims without evidence that people questioned, and others pointed out things you posted that were factually wrong. No one bashed you or said anything dismissive or insulting.
Sponsored