R1T Large Inventory Concerns?

mtberman

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T DM large,2019 Chev Bolt, 2021 Audi e-tron
They are through the backlog on R1T and now are getting a look at the actual market size going forward. It will be nowhere near the size some were expecting. Ford/GM/Tesla/Rivian are all getting a wakeup call on what the true market looks like for nearly $100k electric trucks.
Exactly right. The market for $90K-$100K pickups is small and Rivian needs a lower priced product to keep up the volume.

I came back to Rivian in July because they finally made one that qualifies for tax credits that I need to make it work financially. I think if Ford had an electric Maverick, GM had an electric Colorado/Canyon sized truck, and Nissan had a Leaf pickup, then things would look different in the EV space now.
Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
OP: you saw a lot today. Can you check Monday and let us know how many you find? Just a small sample test but should give us some idea of supply and demand. Cheers.

BCondrey

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Maybe free charging on RAN and EVGo for 6 months to drive sales....

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired
This has been the case since May/June at least - when I first got access to the shop. I saw maybe 1200-1800 R1Ts and maybe 10 R1Ses. Rivian wanted me to buy an R1T instead of a R1S... nope.

EV sales have still grown 50% YoY (was 68% by Q2) whereas the overall market only increased sub-16%

ICE sales will collapse soon. The two Bronco orders I abandoned (that I was going to buy one if I didn't buy my R1S) have been sitting on my Ford dealer's lot for 4 months now. And this is with the production stoppages and now... no markup. Anything not considered an essential vehicle that is good value... will have sales decline badly.
Peak ICE sales year was 2017. Going down ever since.
EV sales have been increasing 50% a year for pure EV companies. Legacy auto EVs are pathetic and they have no future. Legacy auto will be dead by 2030.

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Is it true that Rivian is losing about $30,000 per vehicle they sell? I thought I read that somewhere. If that is the case, we're all in trouble.
There's only so long that Rivian's reserves can last. Please say it ain't so!

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Exactly right. The market for $90K-$100K pickups is small and Rivian needs a lower priced product to keep up the volume.

I came back to Rivian in July because they finally made one that qualifies for tax credits that I need to make it work financially. I think if Ford had an electric Maverick, GM had an electric Colorado/Canyon sized truck, and Nissan had a Leaf pickup, then things would look different in the EV space now.
Rivian originally specked a lower price 4 motor R1T. It was the Explore Package. It was sans the expensive Adventure Package options like the motorized tonneau cover, the Meridian sound system, the wood trim on the dash and doors, the color coordinated outside rear view mirrors, and the air conditioned seats. The price on this Explore Package R1T was $67,000 including the $2,500 upcharge for the Rivian Blue paint. In white or Silver, this R1T would have stickered for $64,500.

We had originally placed our deposit on November 28, 2018. When it finally came to ordering a specific vehicle, we ordered the Explore Package R1T. Then in early 2022 we were advised by Rivian that the less expensive Explore Package would not be produced. Our choices were to upgrade to the Adventure Package of ask for return of our deposit. We went for the $5,000 upgrade and eventually got our R1T in April, 2023. Our total price at that time was $74,000 which was inclusive of out $1,000 deposit.

Brian

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Rivian produced over 12k R1Ts this year. 200 in inventory is less than 2% of production.

Lets keep perspective in mind before raising “alarms”
There is definitely alot more than 200 in their inventory. I am not commenting on if the amount is good or bad, but if you follow the quarterly reports and do the math on the difference between produced and delivered....it is a big number. I keep wondering all those produced but not delivered vehicles are going.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
There is definitely alot more than 200 in their inventory. I am not commenting on if the amount is good or bad, but if you follow the quarterly reports and do the math on the difference between produced and delivered....it is a big number. I keep wondering all those produced but not delivered vehicles are going.
As long as the production is growing, this gap will always increase. It’s not indicative of slowing demand, but more of bottlenecks in the delivery system.

If you see slowing production, yet gap still widening, that’s a cause for concern.

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
Definitely slow demand for vehicles in the $90k range, especially a midsize truck with less range/functionality and basic limitations on software like the R1T. If I had to spend $90k today I'd wait for rates to lower, or if have cash I'd get a more functional full size truck that I'd an IXE model with nice tech like Carplay/AA, more range, regular vents, and less issues for sure.

Hard times for Rivian ahead.

Sponsored

KiloWhathours

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (Rivian Blue, AT Package)
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

EV demand overall is slowing ... couple that with interest rates and inventory increases. IMO
I would argue that we don't really have that data. There's a bunch of FUD articles claiming a whole lot with very little in the way of numbers to back anything up. The only numbers I've seen recently other than days on a lot of new EVs (which only speaks to MFG volumes/ demand ratios, and markups of legacy automakers) is that in CA the share of new EVs sold is 25% of all vehicles in Q2'23, up from 19% last year and 12% the year before (https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-repo...e-and-infrastructure-statistics/new-zev-sales).

I think there's a lot of unknowns, and that it's certainly possible the growth rate is slowing. It also seems likely the high end market has begun saturating, which could be why a lot of legacy makers are pulling back expectations - none of them were offering anything affordable and people who want to spend 60k+ are buying Rivian's and Teslas.

AbjectFray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Retired
I would argue that we don't really have that data. There's a bunch of FUD articles claiming a whole lot with very little in the way of numbers to back anything up. The only numbers I've seen recently other than days on a lot of new EVs (which only speaks to MFG volumes/ demand ratios, and markups of legacy automakers) is that in CA the share of new EVs sold is 25% of all vehicles in Q2'23, up from 19% last year and 12% the year before (https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-repo...e-and-infrastructure-statistics/new-zev-sales).

I think there's a lot of unknowns, and that it's certainly possible the growth rate is slowing. It also seems likely the high end market has begun saturating, which could be why a lot of legacy makers are pulling back expectations - none of them were offering anything affordable and people who want to spend 60k+ are buying Rivian's and Teslas.
we have the data straight from the proverbial horses mouth.

all of the legacy auto makers are on record saying EV sales are slowing down. Elon, during his last earnings call, said the same thing.

RJ will most likely say the same for their next earnings call.

KiloWhathours

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (Rivian Blue, AT Package)
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

we have the data straight from the proverbial horses mouth.

all of the legacy auto makers are on record saying EV sales are slowing down. Elon, during his last earnings call, said the same thing.

RJ will most likely say the same for their next earnings call.
Every EV manufacturer only has their own sales numbers to work with. As more manufacturers enter the field and ramp production, the market is flooded with inventory. I alluded to this w/ time on lots, etc... If market-wide production increases 100% but sales only increase 50%, then an EV maker would claim sales is "slowing" as they can't move 2 vehicles for every 1 sold, but it also doesn't mean the market is slowing down, it means people are bad at predicting how much the market would absorb at what cost on what timeline.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
I suspect they'll pick up when the conflicts overseas drag on and had prices inch higher.
Sponsored