Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I forget which member on this forum stated they saw the inside of an OC test Mule many months ago during testing, and the material was really showing dirt and grime, and he ruled it out. It’s been my experience with light “leathers/vinyls” that some repel better than others. (Couches/chairs etc). (I also changed away from OC-FWIW).
That is definitely a concern for me. Maybe that is the reason for OC delays; if they are changing material or supplier to address that issue. My wife is pushing for OC. I saw Black (charcoal gray) up close and thought it was very classy and probably blend nicely with El Cap but still have OC in my config. I may be the only one that don’t want my R1 in 22, hoping they get a bit more reliable by 23 with less parasitic power loss. May be by then a few OCs are out there and someone can tell us if it is the good stuff or not. I hear Tesla’s white holds up well.

Edit: I believe this is the post you are referring to:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/ocean-coast-interior-after-extended-mule-use.4470/

Rivian R1T R1S R1S updated estimated delivery window email (received June 11) 1655213347396

Also this Redit guy is tinting his roof so even though the lighter seat does not save your noggin, it may save your bacon.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Am I crazy (and is anyone with me?) for wanting to wait for Ocean Coast interior? Or should I just change to maybe get my R1S sooner?
Sticking with OC as well. It makes the cabin feel roomier. (Although I do like the yellow/black combo).
I also hope that this way we won’t get one of the first S and they’ll have worked out some of the bugs.

Athena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm not feeling that sweet spot as I'm in eastern PA (Allentown)...April 2019 preorder and my R1S moved into 4th Qtr (from May-June). Maybe I'm 'just a bit too far' from the Brooklyn and Rockville SCs. not the sweet spot here. 🙁
Allentown isn't all that far from Chester County. Which R1S did you order? Perhaps that is why?

ronsterraggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
BEWARE Ocean Coast Pre-order Holders! I have been contacted by Rivian many times to ask whether I'd consider switching to a different interior (usually Black Mountain), and I have always declined. Today, I logged into my configuration to discover that someone at Rivian had changed my configuration (without my consent!) to Black Mountain. I am working with my Guide to change it back now. Y'all may want to make sure this didn't happen to you as well.

j23HAP

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE GW, R1S LE Midnight
I have a Nov. 2020 LE reservation and I am in the Chicago suburbs and I still haven't heard a thing on an updated timeline. I am real surprised that they still haven't gotten updates to all LE reservation holders - there couldn't be more than 5-10k of us.
Same. Still no update, very surprised. CS says something about two more weeks for all LE updates...

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Am I crazy (and is anyone with me?) for wanting to wait for Ocean Coast interior? Or should I just change to maybe get my R1S sooner?

I have a similar gray in my Volvo XC90, and I love it. Bright, different, luxurious. Plus, it doesn't get blazing hot. Which brings up another question, with EVs, do black interiors require significantly more energy to cool down/condition in summer months vs a lighter ocean coast?
I had an XC90 with that interior and that sexy Volvo dark blue. I miss that combo...

...this is your journey so sorry not sorry for holding out for the coast sounds like the way to go. I was >> this << close to R1S delivery and was honestly starting to feel some anxiety of being a beta tester. Once the shiny new penny of the R1S wears off, like it is now for the R1T (...ducks...) you'll be happy you got what you wanted...

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Same. Still no update, very surprised. CS says something about two more weeks for all LE updates...
can confirm...

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning

I have a similar gray in my Volvo XC90, and I love it. Bright, different, luxurious. Plus, it doesn't get blazing hot. Which brings up another question, with EVs, do black interiors require significantly more energy to cool down/condition in summer months vs a lighter ocean coast?
I'm waiting on Ocean Toast and will be waiting on Ocean Toast unless they cancel the option. I haven't received a new delivery window yet, but would be shocked if it isn't 2023.

With my price locked in and inflation being what it is ... delays just make me money. And as others have said, there are a lot of benefits to getting a vehicle where most of the kinks have already been worked out. We will also have a better idea (particularly from the R1T) as to how these vehicles are holding up.

As it will be 2023, perhaps I will actually be driving a Porsche Taycan or Kia EV9 instead. While I really wanted the R1S, I'm having a really hard time getting past how early Rivian reservation holders have been treated. I wouldn't treat a rabid dog that way.

Either way, I'll take delivery of the R1S, if only to sell it. NFW that I let Rivian off the hook by canceling my reservation. NONE.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Either way, I'll take delivery of the R1S, if only to sell it. NFW that I let Rivian off the hook by canceling my reservation. NONE.
I was kind of thinking the same thing, then realized in the your original configured price will be honored part of RJs email, the honored part is open to interpretation...

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

BEWARE Ocean Coast Pre-order Holders! I have been contacted by Rivian many times to ask whether I'd consider switching to a different interior (usually Black Mountain), and I have always declined. Today, I logged into my configuration to discover that someone at Rivian had changed my configuration (without my consent!) to Black Mountain. I am working with my Guide to change it back now. Y'all may want to make sure this didn't happen to you as well.
No changes were made on our configuration.

Sponsored

Riviandegen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari 328GTS
Occupation
Self employed
Quite annoyed they told us May/June delivery window clients that their R1S will only be delivered October-December , without much notice. I’m probably not alone in selling my previous car anticipating I would receive my R1S when they said they would deliver especially after checking in on the timeline before I sold my car in April. The least they could’ve done is be more transparent and say they expected delays , it probably wouldn’t have changed my decision to sell but it’s still not handled very well. I just hope the

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Well considering I have a generic 2H23 from the original pre-order in October 2021 I'm adding at least a year to that, and ordered a Land Rover Defender 110 because I'm not waiting any longer without something we can go camping with. Been waiting too long already, 5 years of wasted time and its not Rivian's fault, it's my own.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I chatted with my guide a few times this week- every time mentions what color Esses were seen on the line today. (LG)...
that line is a bunch of crock. i've heard people mentioning their CS saw an R1S on the production line for months but we know thats not true. ive heard that same line from CS on multiple occasions. its in their playbook of standardized quotes they can share with customers.

well, technically it might be true now since they are trickling builds of the R1S for employees.

Last edited:

Matt D.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Odyssey
that line is a bunch of crock. i've heard people mentioning their CS saw an R1S on the production line for months but we know thats not true. ive heard that same line from CS on multiple occasions. its in their playbook of standardized quotes they can share with customers.

well, technically it might be true now since they are trickling builds of the R1S for employees.
I’m sure what CS says has to be true! They told me they saw an El Cap and a Limestone unicorn go down the line just yesterday and I, for one, believe every word ;-)
Sponsored

Last edited: