First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Tesla used to be that way, but now changes the model year in the fall quite often. For example, our Model Y was delivered 1 Dec 2020, but is a 2021 model year.
Tesla has always beat to a different drummer. An example, 2016 they completely changed the design of the front on the Model S in July, 2016 but did not change the model year. So half of the 2016 have the old fake grill design and half have the newer design. Most manufacturers would have changed the model year with a body design change.

You really cannot tell what a Tesla has for specs based on model year.
Sponsored

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Tesla used to be that way, but now changes the model year in the fall quite often. For example, our Model Y was delivered 1 Dec 2020, but is a 2021 model year.
Oh!!! That means I have a 2022 M3P then!!! Good to know.
To be honest, I believe they make constant changes, sometimes major, at any time.
They kinda do whatever they want.
MY is not really a thing anymore. As you could buy a 2023 whatever in 2021 and the 2022 Raptor we got was built in June 21.
Things are changing for the best.
However the pre-release of vehicles, look at this well build it in 3-4 years is getting old (for all manufacturers).

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I am going to give a very unpopular opinion, so buckle up :like:

Rivian needs to scrap or delay the launch of the R1S and just focus on the R1T as their flagship vehicle for the near future, while working on the EDV to fulfil the Amazon commitment.

They need to follow the success of another pandemic EV startup, Polestar, who has delivered close to 30K vehicles globally just in 2021, and projecting 50K vehicles for 2022, just by focusing on a single vehicle.

Once they have gained momentum, market share and get their supply chain issues in order, they can introduce the S with more current technologies compared to the underwhelming vehicle it will be in 2023/2024. They can even pair it with their R2 launch as midsize and full-size pairings. They also will need to get the RAN DCFC network up and running and losing the R1S will enable them to focus on that network.

Rivian has consistently shown they are unable to manage their supply chain requirements and vendors, scale up production and delivery of vehicles, and we all know, and I guarantee this delay will not be the last. They are just not able to manage the manufacturing of three vehicles and might not even survive the next 2 - 3 years if they keep delaying launches and keep missing targets.

The market will definitely react to this news tomorrow. There is a reason why they waited till the weekend to announce this delay without announcing the delay, to soften the blow.

Rivian will have to focus on the T and forget the S for now.

DrTroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Executive
June-July 2022 to Oct-Dec 2022 , meaning likely getting it in Q1 2023 based on their track so far.

A majority on here seems to have been given a Oct-Dec '22 window.

Personally, I'm hoping they offer R1S test drives s00n.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
If Canadians are not getting their R1S because there is no service centers there, what happens if an American R1S/R1T owner travel to Canada and breaks down there? I would be traveling multiple times every year and at this point it looks like for most problems, you have to call Rivian. Does Toronto have a Service Center?

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Rivian needs to scrap or delay the launch of the R1S and just focus on the R1T as their flagship vehicle for the near future, while working on the EDV to fulfil the Amazon commitment.

They need to follow the success of another pandemic EV startup, Polestar, who has delivered close to 30K vehicles globally just in 2021, and projecting 50K vehicles for 2022, just by focusing on a single vehicle.

Once they have gained momentum, market share and get their supply chain issues in order, they can introduce the S with more current technologies compared to the underwhelming vehicle it will be in 2023/2024. They can even pair it with their R2 launch as midsize and full-size pairings. They also will need to get the RAN DCFC network up and running and losing the R1S will enable them to focus on that network.

Rivian has consistently shown they are unable to manage their supply chain requirements and vendors, scale up production and delivery of vehicles, and we all know, and I guarantee this delay will not be the last. They are just not able to manage the manufacturing of three vehicles and might not even survive the next 2 - 3 years if they keep delaying launches and keep missing targets.

The market will definitely react to this news tomorrow. There is a reason why they waited till the weekend to announce this delay without announcing the delay, to soften the blow.

I sort of think that's mostly what Rivian is doing. Based on updated delivery dates, less than 10% of the vehicles delivered this year will be R1S with the majority R1T, followed by EDV with relatively few R1S. That's not quite dropping the S entirely for now but it's pretty close to it.

Reactions: Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck

They sprinkled some windows in there that are the same and some that are earlier so you can not call it a delay.

And I am not convinced if they focused on R1T, there would not be any problems there. If they are going to mismanage supply chain and delivery dates, they may as well mismanage it on two vehicles instead of one. Most of the supply chain items are the same for these vehicles. the only thing that can be impacted is the output for either having two lines or switching between the two (I am not sure how they do it)

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
You are correct DB-EV. 2018, at this point I may need to add AD after it.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

I do not think the R1S build is a huge issue, my guess is it is 80% or more the same parts list as the R1T. Most of the 2022 R1S delivery windows moved to the 4th qtr, I think they will probably end up with 25% of the R1 deliveries this year being the R1S.

I do not think the R1S delays this weekend will impact the stock much this week, they did not provide a split for R1 deliveries and have not announced a reduction of their 25k for the year. I think the stock follows the market until Rivian announces the 2nd quarter results probably first half of August.

Rad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 and 2004 MDX, 2016 Jeep JK
I placed my reservation for an R1S on day 1, and thus had the earliest delivery windows when they first came out (March-April). The fact that I'm now shifting to August-September tells me they aren't delivering any R1S to customers until August. That could be supply constraints, or it could be a strategic decision to focus on the more competitive market. Pure speculation on my part.
Day 1 order as well and had a March-April delivery window (target, projection, soon'ish expectation). Revised target per the email: Oct-Dec. Still trying to figure out the shift. Must be configuration based and not based on original reservation date.

Sponsored

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Day 1 order as well and had a March-April delivery window (target, projection, soon'ish expectation). Revised target per the email: Oct-Dec. Still trying to figure out the shift. Must be configuration based and not based on original reservation date.
Agreed (configuration difference). What's your configuration?

OK to add your config and details in you "signature" (see example below)

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S

The only flaw with this logic is that it assumes that by focusing on R1T it would somehow magically solve their supply chain issues. This is simply not the case. There are certain components that Rivian is simply not able to procure in enough volume to reach the capacity of their existing plant right now. In fact in a recent interview RJ mentioned that though they have successfully tested 'burst capacity' in short stints at present they are only operating the Normal plant for 30-35 hours a week due to parts shortages. By stopping the builds of one or more of their models the only thing they could realistically hope to achieve is to push out more of a single model with the parts that they have, which really wouldn't move the needle at all from an investor perspective. Although it's uncertain to be sure there are many analysts who believe Polestar won't be around 2-3 years from now, so I'm not sure if they are the best reference point for what Rivian should be doing to survive. At present Rivian has a capacity problem, not a demand problem and new entrants to the market (with lower capitalization) will face the same challenges without the benefit of such a large amount of cash on the balance sheet. Time will tell.

Corewhit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, LEXUS GX460
Occupation
Exec
I may have missed it, but appears that no R1S or R1T with OC interior has been given a new delivery window. Anyone? I haven’t received any updated email giving me a new window or telling me it will be in 2023…
I got a guide and signed PBA in April, which now appears to be nothing more than a false start.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
CS update today for early window/no update email people. The obligatory salt grain blah blah…

My CS rep was willing to say

…emails would continue to go out over the next two weeks

…priority still placed on LE deliveries

…the fact I have a guide a very good sign I’d still see a sooner delivery

😐

Last edited:

R1S42022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BOLT EUV (BOLT EV Recall) ; OnOrder TeslaX, Hummer
CS update today for early window/no update email people. The obligatory salt grain blah blah…

My CS rep was willing to say

…emails would continue to go out over the next tei weeks

…priority still placed on LE deliveries

…the fact I have a guide a very good sign I’d still see a sooner delivery

😐
Congrats to you.

Every other CS gives different answers, At this point there is no guarantee on anything until its delivered and Truck / SUV is in hand. its a lottery.

Even with challenges they have face on supply chain one can easily predict - they dont want to share the obvious bad news and lose the number of orders all at once. Hence all the wording jargon. It perfectly makes sense.

There is a difference between "..All R1S orders are delayed, many are 4-6 months, with No ETA for Non-LE orders" vs. " we are providing new delivery windows based on customer config and location". When they sent projections in Dec 2021 all these supply chain problems existed..

I think if they still maintain that 90k order volume by end of year they are good for their numbers and they wont change their course.

Independent its a 2023 for me, I dont think i will wait another 6 months trying to figure out how Rivian will deliver products to customers.
Sponsored