Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I wonder why it's missing. If the decision was to remove it permanently for whatever reason, I hope they don't leave it like that with a hole.
That’s the new ride height adjustment. You have to stick a finger in the hole and wiggle it around until the vehicle lifts.
Sponsored

damonator5000

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Ow, my eyes...my eyes!

AD0120B6-3A85-4A30-A88E-74530276ED22.png
The door handles are out in this pic. Do we know if this was immediately before or after they got out/got into the vehicle? Basically, would the vehicle be in Park at this point?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I wonder why it's missing. If the decision was to remove it permanently for whatever reason, I hope they don't leave it like that with a hole.
Could have been limited parts availability so they didn’t have one to install. I assume it’s easy enough to unbolt the steering wheel cowl and install it later, so not worth delaying the entire build.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
Ow, my eyes...my eyes!

AD0120B6-3A85-4A30-A88E-74530276ED22.png
I wonder the reasoning for the wraps...all the test mules seem to be wrapped. Maybe they didn't bother taking them through paint? It is certainly not to camouflage them....the wraps stand out!

Thanks for post!

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I wonder the reasoning for the wraps...all the test mules seem to be wrapped. Maybe they didn't bother taking them through paint? It is certainly not to camouflage them....the wraps stand out!

Thanks for post!
They are definitely painting them... but it may be that the paint procedures aren't perfect yet and they want to hide the imperfections on the builds that are out in the wild.

Sponsored

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Not sure I see that, looks the same to me.

r1s_roofline.jpeg

r1s_roofline_new.jpg

EDIT: added image of new R1S from assembly line, mirrored to provide similar perspective as the picture of the reveal vehicle taken at one of the early shows
It sure looks like the roof slopes, or the doors and body sides seem to be higher towards the back! Look at the rear window and door window sizes, they seem smaller on the blue one?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
It sure looks like the roof slopes, or the doors and body sides seem to be higher towards the back! Look at the rear window and door window sizes, they seem smaller on the blue one?
The roof does slope down from front to back, which makes the vehicle more aerodynamic. It's possible the rear window is smaller, but my guess is it's just the angle of the picture.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
The roof does slope down from front to back, which makes the vehicle more aerodynamic. It's possible the rear window is smaller, but my guess is it's just the angle of the picture.
Also remember that the R1S was lengthened by about 2 inches which would mean it is very possible the hind quarter glass is longer (front to back) which could make it look shorter top to bottom even if it's the same actual height.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Here's one thing that has definitely changed - the rear lift gate. Notice how the upper black portion now wraps around the corner in the newer build and the panel seam now runs up the side window trim instead of running beside the back window. Kind of an odd change, wonder what prompted it?

Old:
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Spotted Out Testing! r1s_rear_hatch_old

New:
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Spotted Out Testing! r1s_rear_hatch_new

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Here's one thing that has definitely changed - the rear lift gate. Notice how the upper black portion now wraps around the corner in the newer build and the panel seam now runs up the side window trim instead of running beside the back window. Kind of an odd change, wonder what prompted it?

Old:
r1s_rear_hatch_old.png

New:
r1s_rear_hatch_new.png
Could they have just mistakenly wrapped over the seam?

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Also remember that the R1S was lengthened by about 2 inches which would mean it is very possible the hind quarter glass is longer (front to back) which could make it look shorter top to bottom even if it's the same actual height.
Since the wheelbase never changed, I suspect the extra few inches were more a function of tweaks to the bumpers.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Could they have just mistakenly wrapped over the seam?
No, the seam clearly moved to the side - note where it goes across the roof starting from the upper rear corner of the side glass. It's extremely doubtful they would mistakenly wrap over a seam but they most certainly couldn't create a new panel gap where one didn't exist before.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT

Old:
r1s_rear_hatch_old.png

New:
r1s_rear_hatch_new.png
That's an interesting find.... may I take the opportunity to say I hate this wrap... It is difficult to look at....

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director

Old:
r1s_rear_hatch_old.png

New:
r1s_rear_hatch_new.png
looks like they made the liftgate wider than on the prototype. they moved it closer to the vehicle corners most likely to provide better access to the cargo area and allow for the loading of bigger objects.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Since the wheelbase never changed, I suspect the extra few inches were more a function of tweaks to the bumpers.
Maybe - I thought the "rumor" was that they had to lengthen the R1S to accommodate the spare tire... Of course they never have offered a full size spare so I have no idea...
The original specs had it at 5040 MM (198.4252 inches)
As some point the website changed to 200.7 inches
and now the website is at 202 inches

So the R1S has now grown by over 3.5 inches.
Sponsored