Sponsored

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Over the past several weeks I've had the opportunity to take our R1S on a number of 'adventures' on some pretty rough back roads here in Washington State so I figured I would share a short review of my experiences. I'd estimate about 100-150 miles or so of driving in what most people would refer to as 'back country' conditions.

What this review is not...
This is not a 'rock crawling' review. If you are looking for a highly technical article about departure angles and so on this isn't the article you are looking for.

What this review is...
For those of you who plan to take your R1S off road on Forest Service lands, BLM for dispersed camping (boondocking), hunting etc. then you may find this review helpful.

Background
I grew up in a rural community in a family of loggers and spent a good part of my youth on very rough logging roads in all types of ICE trucks. I have a good appreciation for the ride and handling of those types of vehicles in different off road settings. Expert - No. Experienced - Yes.

My R1S has the 22" Sport Brights with the underbody shield, so all impressions are based on this and would likely be even better with the 20" AT.

Types of Roads Driven
Mostly forest service roads and various spurs off these roads. Typically very windy and increasingly rough the farther into the back woods you go. Narrow with loose gravel in dry conditions and mud in wet conditions. Hilly for the most part with lots of elevation gain/loss over a relatively short distance interspersed with sections of flat. Lots of pot holes and/or exposed rock and largely poorly maintained roads.

Drive Modes Used
Typically started with All Purpose until the road got really rough and then switched to Off Road - High when the holes in the road got significant.

Ride Quality
Wow. I am blown away at how this vehicle handles a very rough road at speed and maintains a smooth and quiet ride. Some sections of the roads I was travelling on would have set my teeth rattling in most other vehicles, even at lower speeds. The R1S maintained and extremely comfortable ride even in some very rough sections. I would go so far as to say that it's almost 'deceptive' how fast you can go and still have a comfortable ride and I found myself consciously slowing down to ensure there weren't any 'surprises' on the single lane road I was driving on.

Handling
Again wow. I had read some unflattering reviews about the handling of this vehicle in certain off road situations so wasn't sure what to expect. All I can say is that my experience was exceptional. Perhaps different type of terrain than some others have been testing on (again I'm not rock crawling) but at no point did the vehicle feel in any way out of control, even at speed in poor conditions (loose gravel/mud in corners) I expected the handling of the vehicle to degrade somewhat when I raised it into 'Off Road' from 'All Purpose' but I didn't notice any significant decrease in handling, and did notice an increase in ride comfort. Again I'm not Colin McRae'ing it around every corner, simply driving the vehicle like most people would when in back country conditions and having fun while doing it. I did find myself using the brake more often than in city driving (normal) but beyond that the handling in all weather conditions (wet, dry, muddy, gravel, mud puddles etc.) was awesome. By far the best I've ever driven.

Performance
The joy of having those 835 horses and instant torque available whenever you want it is palpable in an off road driving setting. Some have complained about how 'long' the travel is on the Rivian accelerator and my guess is that the engineers who designed it had off roading top of mind when they made this design decision. It gives you such a smooth and natural range to bring just the right amount of power to bear depending on the situation the vehicle is in. Going around a corner with loose gravel, bam it's there for you. Want to stretch it's legs a bit on a short straight? Boom - instant. This coupled with the aggressive regenerative braking just makes everything fit. You'll never have so much fun trying to find your next boondocking location and will be looking for opportunities to drive further. :)

Ride Height
If the roads are relatively well maintained (think the early parts of a forest service road) then all purpose is fine. Once things start to get rough switch it to 'Off-Road' high and you're golden. At no point did I come close to bottoming out the vehicle, though I could have if I really tried. You'd have to get into some really rough terrain to test the underbody shield, and you'd have to get really frisky to take advantage of rock crawler mode. For those of you who are looking to use this primarily for camping, adventuring and not hard core rock crawling I can confidently report that the vehicle has you covered. No issues whatsoever with ride height.

Final Verdict
Exceptional. If you plan to use the R1S for 'getting out there' and adventuring with your family and pets this is a fantastic vehicle. It's perhaps the only EV SUV currently that can roll straight off the highway and into the backwoods without skipping a beat. Combine that with the significant range and I expect my family will be having adventures with the R1S for many years to come.

Bonus #1
Many of you probably already know this but if you 'long press' an area on the navigation screen you can navigate to a specific spot on the map. Useful for areas that are a bit more remote (helped us get to/near some forest service roads that we would have had trouble finding)

Bonus #2
After getting your R1S all muddy you'll probably want to wash it. If you don't want to look like an ass when you go to the car wash you might want to 'practice' putting the car in neutral before you get there. Don't ask me how I know. :) On the right stalk push up slightly (not all the way just to the first bit of resistance) and hold for 3 seconds or so to shift into neutral.

In 'All-Purpose' mode at this point in one of the trips (Don't worry it's a BB gun)
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Off-Road Review by Owner: Exceptional 1669309258947

One of the 'better maintained' roads
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Off-Road Review by Owner: Exceptional 1669308916447

The Rivian is right behind us on this road. Went over lots of debris (BB gun again)
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Off-Road Review by Owner: Exceptional 1669309374307
Sponsored

Last edited:

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Very helpful. Pics would be great, please.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
No pics?

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Over the past several weeks I've had the opportunity to take our R1S on a number of 'adventures' on some pretty rough back roads here in Washington State so I figured I would share a short review of my experiences. I'd estimate about 100-150 miles or so of driving in what most people would refer to as 'back country' conditions.

What this review is not...
This is not a 'rock crawling' review. If you are looking for a highly technical article about departure angles and so on this isn't the article you are looking for.

What this review is...
For those of you who plan to take your R1S off road on Forest Service lands, BLM for dispersed camping (boondocking), hunting etc. then you may find this review helpful.

Background
I grew up in a rural community in a family of loggers and spent a good part of my youth on very rough logging roads in all types of ICE trucks. I have a good appreciation for the ride and handling of those types of vehicles in different off road settings. Expert - No. Experienced - Yes.

My R1S has the 22" Sport Brights with the underbody shield, so all impressions are based on this and would likely be even better with the 20" AT.

Types of Roads Driven
Mostly forest service roads and various spurs off these roads. Typically very windy and increasingly rough the farther into the back woods you go. Narrow with loose gravel in dry conditions and mud in wet conditions. Hilly for the most part with lots of elevation gain/loss over a relatively short distance interspersed with sections of flat. Lots of pot holes and/or exposed rock and largely poorly maintained roads.

Drive Modes Used
Typically started with All Purpose until the road got really rough and then switched to Off Road - High when the holes in the road got significant.

Ride Quality
Wow. I am blown away at how this vehicle handles a very rough road at speed and maintains a smooth and quiet ride. Some sections of the roads I was travelling on would have set my teeth rattling in most other vehicles, even at lower speeds. The R1S maintained and extremely comfortable ride even in some very rough sections. I would go so far as to say that it's almost 'deceptive' how fast you can go and still have a comfortable ride and I found myself consciously slowing down to ensure there weren't any 'surprises' on the single lane road I was driving on.

Handling
Again wow. I had read some unflattering reviews about the handling of this vehicle in certain off road situations so wasn't sure what to expect. All I can say is that my experience was exceptional. Perhaps different type of terrain than some others have been testing on (again I'm not rock crawling) but at no point did the vehicle feel in any way out of control, even at speed in poor conditions (loose gravel/mud in corners) I expected the handling of the vehicle to degrade somewhat when I raised it into 'Off Road' from 'All Purpose' but I didn't notice any significant decrease in handling, and did notice an increase in ride comfort. Again I'm not Colin McRae'ing it around every corner, simply driving the vehicle like most people would when in back country conditions and having fun while doing it. I did find myself using the brake more often than in city driving (normal) but beyond that the handling in all weather conditions (wet, dry, muddy, gravel, mud puddles etc.) was awesome. By far the best I've ever driven.

Performance
The joy of having those 835 horses and instant torque available whenever you want it is palpable in an off road driving setting. Some have complained about how 'long' the travel is on the Rivian accelerator and my guess is that the engineers who designed it had off roading top of mind when they made this design decision. It gives you such a smooth and natural range to bring just the right amount of power to bear depending on the situation the vehicle is in. Going around a corner with loose gravel, bam it's there for you. Want to stretch it's legs a bit on a short straight? Boom - instant. This coupled with the aggressive regenerative braking just makes everything fit. You'll never have so much fun trying to find your next boondocking location and will be looking for opportunities to drive further. :)

Ride Height
If the roads are relatively well maintained (think the early parts of a forest service road) then all purpose is fine. Once things start to get rough switch it to 'Off-Road' high and you're golden. At no point did I come close to bottoming out the vehicle, though I could have if I really tried. You'd have to get into some really rough terrain to test the underbody shield, and you'd have to get really frisky to take advantage of rock crawler mode. For those of you who are looking to use this primarily for camping, adventuring and not hard core rock crawling I can confidently report that the vehicle has you covered. No issues whatsoever with ride height.

Final Verdict
Exceptional. If you plan to use the R1S for 'getting out there' and adventuring with your family and pets this is a fantastic vehicle. It's perhaps the only EV SUV currently that can roll straight off the highway and into the backwoods without skipping a beat. Combine that with the significant range and I expect my family will be having adventures with the R1S for many years to come.

Bonus #1
Many of you probably already know this but if you 'long press' an area on the navigation screen you can navigate to a specific spot on the map. Useful for areas that are a bit more remote (helped us get to/near some forest service roads that we would have had trouble finding)

Bonus #2
After getting your R1S all muddy you'll probably want to wash it. If you don't want to look like an ass when you go to the car wash you might want to 'practice' putting the car in neutral before you get there. Don't ask me how I know. :) On the right stalk push up slightly (not all the way just to the first bit of resistance) and hold for 3 seconds or so to shift into neutral.
Where are the photos man?

Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Just the conditions we live in now and plan to drive in for years ahead — with the addition of lots of snow.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Helpful write-up thanks tor sharing your experiences. What are your thoughts on back country tire anxiety (read: flat). The compact spare isn’t too inspiring. I’ll get one when they are made available (c’mon Rivian!). But I’m more concerned with stability of changing the tire with the OEM equipment on non-paved surfaces.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Helpful write-up thanks tor sharing your experiences. What are your thoughts on back country tire anxiety (read: flat). The compact spare isn’t too inspiring. I’ll get one when they are made available (c’mon Rivian!). But I’m more concerned with stability of changing the tire with the OEM equipment on non-paved surfaces.
I think it's a fair concern, especially when travelling on these really rough roads. I've been surprised at how robust the 22" have been and (knock on wood) we haven't had any issues. That being said one unlucky jagged rock could probably change that situation in a hurry. At present the only 'backup' I have on board is one of those 'spray and fix' cans of tire repair stuff. Ok in a pinch but certainly wouldn't do the trick if the sidewall ripped out. Having seen the spare that you can purchase close up I wouldn't give it a snowball's chance in hell of lasting too long on the sorts of roads we've been driving on. I don't think it provides much of a safety net to be honest. I have been looking at adding one of those tire repair kits with plugs to our arsenal. I think ultimately the right solution is a full sized spare in the cargo area (not underneath it where the little spare goes) tied down with the cargo system in the back for full peace of mind.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I think ultimately the right solution is a full sized spare in the cargo area (not underneath it where the little spare goes) tied down with the cargo system in the back for full peace of mind.
Agreed on the need for a full spare when going off pavement. Loading one inside could be tricky with the weight getting it in/out. Then there’s the issue of the muddy flat going back inside.

The other option is to put it up top on a rack. Getting it up/down is probably a 2 person operation with ladders.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Getting a full size spare in and out of the back of the R1S could be an adventure. This is a heavy 34” tire. I don’t believe there is 34” of head room in the rear of the R1S or at the tailgate. This would mean sliding the tire in ☹ Putting it up on a roof rack would, first, require such a rack to exists. Second, that dang thing is heavy! That would have disaster written all over it. Maybe the only decent solution would be a swing away, hitch tire mount.

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Getting a full size spare in and out of the back of the R1S could be an adventure. This is a heavy 34” tire. I don’t believe there is 34” of head room in the rear of the R1S or at the tailgate. This would mean sliding the tire in ☹ Putting it up on a roof rack would, first, require such a rack to exists. Second, that dang thing is heavy! That would have disaster written all over it. Maybe the only decent solution would be a swing away, hitch tire mount.
I believe you. Honestly I haven't had a chance to lift any of the tires so I can't comment on their weight but they definitely look on the hefty side. Another question (which Papa asked above I believe) is the 'jacking' experience when off road. I've seen the jack pucks etc. but as yet haven't invested in any of that stuff yet. I'd imagine it would be a less than thrilling experience to do the lift with the equipment provided. Speaking of which I should probably familiarize myself with where the onboard jack etc. is. I have no idea!

EDIT: Hmm. Looks like it may be that you don't get a tire service kit (jack and wrench) unless you order the spare. I'll have to double check next time I'm driving but I didn't order a spare so I might have to add a jack and wrench to my arsenal.

Last edited:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Background
I grew up in a rural community in a family of loggers and spent a good part of my youth on very rough logging roads in all types of ICE trucks.
Hi @rivianguy ...
Not Rivian related, but related to your upbringing.. have you ever seen the 1971 movie "Sometimes a Great Notion" with Paul Newman and Henry Fonda? It's the story of a tough as nails, multi-generational Oregon logging family doing what loggers do. Great story with spectacular location cinematography and the innate natural beauty of the Pacific NW on full display. I haven't seen that movie in 20yrs or so, but there's one scene in particular that I and probably anyone who's ever seen the movie can ever forget. If you haven't seen the movie... I'd highly suggest giving it a go :)
Sponsored