First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I think we should take that as a challenge. We should all try to ford a 3 foot stream withing the first month of ownership.
Tank turn in the stream.
Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Tank turn in the stream.
You may want to refer to the Rivian insurance thread before you do that. They’re watching!

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Tank turn in the stream.
Preferably, not while towing something. Especially not while flat-towing your Motorhome to the other side.

"Hello, Rivian Claims. How may I help you? Uhh....you're....um, not gonna believe this, but...." ?‍♂

Vern Bybee

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Cherokee, XJ...
In the big picture, the likely % of Rivian owners with a large RV is pretty small. Those looking to flat tow is even smaller.
An aftermarket solution is probably your best hope.

This also goes for other specialized uses like 37" tires and rock crawling.

Adding the additional hardware and software for either/both would add zero value to me (and most owners) while increasing cost and complexity.

I'm not completely convinced that RJ did not know that "tow charging" was not the same as "flat towing". I'm not an RV person and am more than a little surprised that hauling a 7,000 lb vehicle behind an RV is even a thing. Out of curiosity, what do you think the total annual sales would be for that purpose?
I asked RJ himself about flat towing
Why are you making the assumption that there are VERY FEW OF US
don't you travel?
There are a lot of TOADS out there
Assumptions make a ass...

StevieD

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM Longhorn, Cancelled R1T Reservation
Occupation
Retired - Living the Dream!
You're miffed that Rivian isn't finding a solution for a niche issue, and using a WWII Jeep analogy; but in your analogy, Willis didn't develop the solution -- Warn did. The vehicle manufacturer didn't solve the problem, in your analogy -- the aftermarket vendor did.

So... Don't be miffed at Rivian. Go talk with the aftermarket and find someone where the "niche" is big enough for them to go after.
You must be in sales

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

You must be in sales
You are a wise man! (That statement, in itself, serves as further proof of your assumption, and therefore, you’re wiseness.). :clap: Also, a middle child. Therefore, constantly seeking the approval of others.??

That said, I do hope you find a way to be able to flat-tow a Rivian and that you get one. Oh, there I go again...

StevieD

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM Longhorn, Cancelled R1T Reservation
Occupation
Retired - Living the Dream!
You are a wise man! (That statement, in itself, serves as further proof of your assumption, and therefore, you’re wiseness.). :clap: Also, a middle child. Therefore, constantly seeking the approval of others.??

That said, I do hope you find a way to be able to flat-tow a Rivian and that you get one. Oh, there I go again...
Not to get off track but you have a Corvair?! Loved my ‘64 Corvair that I had back in th 60’s. First engine I stripped down and broke the case in half to rebuild the whole thing. Was in the Aif Force then so it could stay in the Auto Hobby shop and I could stand t he walking around. Rebuilt the dash to fill with SW guages.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
That is easy, just get a flatbed trailer, and you can flat tow the Rivian.:idea:

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Seriously, can you not take a joke? You take yourself WAY to serious (while constantly being condescending to others). I bet you are a lot of fun at parties.
He's why there is an ignore feature

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I think we should take that as a challenge. We should all try to ford a 3 foot stream withing the first month of ownership.
Challenge accepted.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
More than the number that will ever ford a 3 foot stream.
Stream fording is quite a but different than enabling flat towing.

You were always going to be able to ford streams, the only issue was how deep.

Enabling flat towing requires more hardware, software and testing. Disconnect all four motors/wheels, integrated braking, lighting, etc. If Rivian is using "Brake by Wire" the vehicle will need to be in at least a partial "on" state - likely needed for brake lights/turn signals as well. While all these challenges have solutions, the decision not to delay launch vehicles to enable them was probably the wise move. Sucks for those that are/were counting on the capability, but hopefully a solution won't be too long.

Flat towing is indeed likely the more useful feature over 3 foot fording, but also more resource intensive ($$, time, labor, testing) to develop for a relatively small number of potential owners.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
In the big picture, the likely % of Rivian owners with a large RV is pretty small. Those looking to flat tow is even smaller.
An aftermarket solution is probably your best hope.

This also goes for other specialized uses like 37" tires and rock crawling.

Adding the additional hardware and software for either/both would add zero value to me (and most owners) while increasing cost and complexity.

I'm not completely convinced that RJ did not know that "tow charging" was not the same as "flat towing". I'm not an RV person and am more than a little surprised that hauling a 7,000 lb vehicle behind an RV is even a thing. Out of curiosity, what do you think the total annual sales would be for that purpose?
3. But I also personally find the life of this post to be the oddest thing on this forum since I joined.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Not to get off track but you have a Corvair?! Loved my ‘64 Corvair that I had back in th 60’s. First engine I stripped down and broke the case in half to rebuild the whole thing. Was in the Aif Force then so it could stay in the Auto Hobby shop and I could stand t he walking around. Rebuilt the dash to fill with SW guages.
I still have my Corvair and would like to convert it into an EV for around town. I bought it 37 years ago yesterday from the parents of childhood friend and they were the original owners. It's been in storage (and hasn't been driven) since '89, when I found a '65 'Vette that needed a good home. As much fun as the 'Vette was, there was something magical about the sound of that air-cooled engine stirring behind you when cruising around the mountains in the night time with the top down. Magical enough that I've held on to it all these years.

With the original "Frunk" for an American made car, it would be an ideal setup for a forward battery pack, with more in the back, along with the drive motor(s). Luckily, the top is still in good shape, although the entire car would benefit from some body work and fresh paint. A conversion like that doesn't really make financial sense, but a lot of dreams don't.

Any thoughts on converting it, other than being a fool's errand?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

3. But I also personally find the life of this post to be the oddest thing on this forum since I joined.
Brice,

No offense intended, but I have personally participated in many posts that have wandered much farther off course and/or further off topic than this one. I know because I frequently help to hijack them. It continues to be great fun and I've had some fantastic company in the meanderings that can and do happen. Often!

If you poke around some more, you'll likely find some that I think you'll agree are odder. While they can get weird, they're always fun (well, maybe not for everyone). The nice part is that I usually come away better educated. I'll likely reflect back on this post whenever I spot an RV flat-towing a 'toad' in the wild, especially if they're doing donuts in the middle of a stream.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of the folks here when the chance arises and hope to share some more laughs along the way.

Take care and enjoy the detours! ?
Sponsored