R1S flat towing behind an RV?

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Rivian CS reps have been spotty at times in regards to accuracy.

There remains the possibility that they are looking at the direction for towing in case of a breakdown (don't lift the front or back by a hook and tow).

Setting up for flat towing behind an RV could still be a possibility but would likely require the Rivian to be at least partly "awake" with an integrated brake controller, etc. A modified version of tow charging if you will. I think it unlikely that this made the final cut of features, but not entirely out of the realm of possibilities.

One of those things they had to balance between cost (and production/reliability/timeline impacts) and % of potential owners that would utilize it. Every single design/feature decision they make will eliminate some potential customers - bed length, tire sizes, roof options, etc. are some other examples that come to mind.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Rivian CS reps have been spotty at times in regards to accuracy.
Bingo. I'd wait until there is a definitive statement on the website.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Rivian did verify it. I posted the proof. You just choose not to believe Rivian for some reason. They have confirmed NO flat towing.

Capture.JPG
Posting a screenshot of your conversation with a low level customer service representative is not evidence that they won't offer flat towing. The CEO stated otherwise.

Also, there is nothing about the electric motors that would prevent flat towing. It is the software.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Posting a screenshot of your conversation with a low level customer service representative is not evidence that they won't offer flat towing. The CEO stated otherwise.

Also, there is nothing about the electric motors that would prevent flat towing. It is the software.
If you’re using a tweet from the CEO two years ago as your basis, I think your setting yourself up for disappointment.

The list of things we were originally told the vehicles would have which are no longer making it to production is as long as my...well it’s long.

I would take recent word from CS as much more likely to be accurate vs what was said 1-2 years ago by RJ or anyone at the road show.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Things are always subject to change. Considering how tight-lipped Rivian has been, however, I would generally accept anything their CSRs do leak as being probably true.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Keep in mind that R1T has curb weight ~6,000# so it's around 30% heavier than a Wrangler. Wouldn't this make towing behind an RV a challenge for the Towing vehicle? Maybe Rivian Didn't want to spend the resources to make this happen because it didn't meet their cost v. benefit matrix.

JLiz5

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mercedes GLE350, 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Sales
It depends on what type of motor home is pulling the towed vehicle. Class A diesel pushers have a towing capacity of at least 10,000 lbs with larger rigs capable of 15,000 lbs. Many Class C and Super C have the same 10,000 lb. rating with Super C diesel powered vehicles having up to 15,000 towing capacity.
I had hoped to be able to flat tow an R1S behind my diesel pusher but Rivian told me neither T or S is to be flat towed since the motors are not disconnected and the inverters would suffer damage. Currently here is no disconnect to make this possible which evidently applies to all EVs based on my research to find a towable EV. And while it would seem that if you can tow charge why can’t you flat tow, they are two distinctly different processes. The vehicle is moved for short distances while tow charging and must be occupied by a driver while doing so. Flat towing is different in that the vehicle is towed the duration of a trip, except when disconnected for use at a destination. It cannot be occupied and must have an auxiliary braking device in most states.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I know this won't meet Cappy's standards for evidence, but i checked with CS for clarification, and they stated that this is a question they've been getting a lot and therefore asked engineering for an answer, which is:

Rivian vehicles are capable of being tow charged but are otherwise not flat towable. If you are looking to go long distance with a Rivian towed behind you, the vehicle will need to be secured on a flat bed trailer.
Personally, if this was a deal breaker for me I'd still wait it out until deliveries begin. You never know what might change in the next few months.

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Hello Everyone,
Just joined the forum and just put a deposit on an R1S.
Very nice rig StevieD!
I did a chat yesterday with a CS rep Rivian about this subject as I too wanted a Rivian to be my toad. I was told under no circumstances could any Rivian be flat towed , I wish I had copied the response to provide you all their reasons why, direct connection to the motors and inverter damage are two that stuck In my mind. Being quite disappointed with this news I started searching other EV options for flat towing only to be further disappointed, it appears EVs do not lend themselves to flat towing for the same reasons Rivian has eluded to.
I have seen a number of complaints about the Inconsistencies of info coming from Rivian’s CS reps, until I see something in writing that clearly states Rivian vehicles can be flat towed I’m looking for a new Jeep, we’ll keep the R1S as my wife’s vehicle.
Just to let every one know, Rivian's can be flat towed! On a flatbed truck.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
It depends on what type of motor home is pulling the towed vehicle. Class A diesel pushers have a towing capacity of at least 10,000 lbs with larger rigs capable of 15,000 lbs. Many Class C and Super C have the same 10,000 lb. rating with Super C diesel powered vehicles having up to 15,000 towing capacity.
I had hoped to be able to flat tow an R1S behind my diesel pusher but Rivian told me neither T or S is to be flat towed since the motors are not disconnected and the inverters would suffer damage. Currently here is no disconnect to make this possible which evidently applies to all EVs based on my research to find a towable EV. And while it would seem that if you can tow charge why can’t you flat tow, they are two distinctly different processes. The vehicle is moved for short distances while tow charging and must be occupied by a driver while doing so. Flat towing is different in that the vehicle is towed the duration of a trip, except when disconnected for use at a destination. It cannot be occupied and must have an auxiliary braking device in most states.
It is software. They could easily just have the toad be powered and essentially be driving itself with steering from the tow vehicle. This toad could help with acceleration and braking which would essentially turn the tow vehicle into a hybrid.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It is software. They could easily just have the toad be powered and essentially be driving itself with steering from the tow vehicle. This toad could help with acceleration and braking which would essentially turn the tow vehicle into a hybrid.
I doubt that would be allowed (or safe) with current tow hardware.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Says the guy who wants no restrictions on tank turns... :CWL:
I said "I doubt that would be allowed (or safe) with current tow hardware."

I don't think it's "allowed" by the current DOT rules and laws.

I don't think it's "safe" and therefore personal responsibility should also prevail.

I didn't say that the manufacturer should install accelerometers and cameras to try to detect if the towed vehicle is applying torque and if it exceeds a certain threshold then it can use a cellular connection to dispatch law enforcement, and then a satellite with cold-war-style telephoto lense can read your license plate and a mainframe will lookup your VIN and then it'll call a secret API that all auto manufacturers have agreed to implement by which your car will be remotely shut off and your doors locked so the highway patrol can come shoot you like a fish in a barrel.

Seriously, do not see the difference there?