OP

socaladam

First Name
Aj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
nocomment
That's what, 15 trucks? If that's all they lose, I don't think they'll notice.
Jeep sold 229k wranglers in 2019 and 201k in 2020. I highly doubt that out of that many Jeeps, only 15 are towed behind an RV. I know they're not because we go to the desert and I see at least 15 jeeps behind motorhomes just on the trip out.

If Rivain makes the R1S and R1T flat towable, they stand to gain a much larger market share and take a lot of sales away from Jeep, which if you follow their reason for making the truck and SUV, they are targeting the active outdoor community, you know Jeep owners.

We looked at buying a Land Rover, but they said we could not flat tow the Discovery. So we didn't buy one.

I guess if Rivain can't do it, then they can't do it. It's unfortunate because we really like the SUV.

ETA - I guess there will be a disclaimer on the R1T and R1S if the vehicle needs to be towed home due to a dead battery or any other issues which require a tow truck. That disclaimer will be the vehicle must be towed on a flatbed only.
Sponsored

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Jeep sold 229k wranglers in 2019 and 201k in 2020. I highly doubt that out of that many Jeeps, only 15 are towed behind an RV. I know they're not because we go to the desert and I see at least 15 jeeps behind motorhomes just on the trip out.

If Rivain makes the R1S and R1T flat towable, they stand to gain a much larger market share and take a lot of sales away from Jeep, which if you follow their reason for making the truck and SUV, they are targeting the active outdoor community, you know Jeep owners.

We looked at buying a Land Rover, but they said we could not flat tow the Discovery. So we didn't buy one.

I guess if Rivain can't do it, then they can't do it. It's unfortunate because we really like the SUV.

ETA - I guess there will be a disclaimer on the R1T and R1S if the vehicle needs to be towed home due to a dead battery or any other issues which require a tow truck. That disclaimer will be the vehicle must be towed on a flatbed only.
why is this even being talked about? Does anyone have any evidence that Rivian is not going to make them flat towable after they stated they would?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
why is this even being talked about? Does anyone have any evidence that Rivian is not going to make them flat towable after they stated they would?
Yes, the last word from Rivian CS was that the R1T/R1S are not going to be flat-towable.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I do not recall them saying they would be flat towable. Do you remember where you saw that?

They said they could be tow charged, but that is not flat towable.

CS has confirmed recently any distance towing needs to be all 4 wheels off the ground.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I do not recall them saying they would be flat towable. Do you remember where you saw that?

They said they could be tow charged, but that is not flat towable.

CS has confirmed recently any distance towing needs to be all 4 wheels off the ground.
At the events in New York and Seattle.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Rivian tweeted it.
Screenshot_20210313-211548~2.jpg
I guess they planned on making them flat towable but couldn't deliver on that claim.
Interesting, that seems to not be the case based on a CS response recently.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Interesting, that seems to not be the case based on a CS response recently.
Correct. I personally confirmed with CS Rivians cannot be flat towed without damaging the motors. I posted a screenshot of the chat on another thread.

I wanted a Rivian, but I can't spend that much on a vehicle that cannot be towed behind a motorhome. I'll just keep my F150 because it can be flat towed.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Correct. I personally confirmed with CS Rivians cannot be flat towed without damaging the motors. I posted a screenshot of the chat on another thread.

I wanted a Rivian, but I can't spend that much on a vehicle that cannot be towed behind a motorhome. I'll just keep my F150 because it can be flat towed.
I don't use Twitter, so I may be way off on how this works, but can't you respond back to that tweet from 2019 and see if you can get a response from RJ?

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester

Again, your claim is unverifiable until Rivian says otherwise.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Last I checked Rivian's Customer Service team was staffed by Rivian employees so we obvisouly have conflicting answers from Rivian. You choose to have confidence in the answer you want to hear. Others lean toward the most up-to-date answer. Only time will tell which answer is actually correct.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
why is this even being talked about?
The reason it’s being talked about is because it’s a hard requirement for some folks, and they would rather know sooner than later so they can move on to other options if not.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I don't use Twitter, so I may be way off on how this works, but can't you respond back to that tweet from 2019 and see if you can get a response from RJ?
This should be possible, but I don't have a Twitter account. I found the tweet while Googling Rivian and flat towing. It was from a couple years ago. I can see their original tweet, but I would need a Twitter account to respond.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Rivian literally did exactly that. They explicitly said otherwise.

Your statement is very confusing.
Sponsored