Sponsored

R1S flat towing behind an RV?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
https://www.demco-products.com/rv-t...sF6GMao-BQJ90TyqFk_D_zdgFsfQEM_oaAiFlEALw_wcB

I’ve used this on more than 3 RVs I’ve owned and many TOADS including Jeeps, Toyota Tundra, Scion, and Ram 1500. Very satisfied with their operation. Previously, I’ve used different systems on some of my other RVs and Toads. I hope that Rivian will describe this feature in more detail soon.
Thanks for the link, I went & watched the video. Cool & well engineered solution!
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
For towing a RIvian you would want to put a pressure sensor on the coach translating the pilot pressure to a 4-20 ma loop signal and send that to the towed vehicle's control system which would then demand, in response to the brake pedal position in the coach, an appropriate amount of torque from the motors or the friction brake system or both as appropriate for the dynamics. Certainly doable but will Rivian do it?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
in response to the brake pedal position in the coach, an appropriate amount of torque from the motors or the friction brake system or both as appropriate for the dynamics. Certainly doable but will Rivian do it?
Agreed, this is best case with potential combination of regen & friction braking.

I actually think this is worthwhile for them and their target market demographic. I think Rivian current & future vehicles could become the "go to" toads for an adventure-minded population that can afford them.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Most, if not all newer vehicles have a brake pedal position sensor. This could easily be tapped into via the OBD-II and send a signal back to the toad.

And we know the Rivian can apply the mechanical brakes as well, because they have autonomous driving plans for it.

StevieD

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM Longhorn, Cancelled R1T Reservation
Occupation
Retired - Living the Dream!
Thanks for the link, I went & watched the video. Cool & well engineered solution!
Ayuh. I’ve been using this system for years and have been very satisfied, especially when Spartan added it to their chassis. It also provides the required breakaway system as well as an optional wireless receiver to let me know that the TOAD breaks are actually being applied. I’m hopeful that the R1T provides mounting points that don‘t require cutting frame members or body to attach. It would also be nice for the air, breakaway switch, and electrical connection to be hidden nicely when not used. The AFO connects to to my vaccum brake boost line to reduce the braking forces required.

Sponsored

StevieD

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Most, if not all newer vehicles have a brake pedal position sensor. This could easily be tapped into via the OBD-II and send a signal back to the toad.

And we know the Rivian can apply the mechanical brakes as well, because they have autonomous driving plans for it.
Might be a workable configuration when the breakaway requirement is also met. However from a practical perspective, I want to be up and running the day I pick up the R1T. Waiting for some other manufacturer to build the latest and greatest solution for the only EV that currently can be flat-towed sounds like an awfully long wait.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Might be a workable configuration when the breakaway requirement is also met. However from a practical perspective, I want to be up and running the day I pick up the R1T. Waiting for some other manufacturer to build the latest and greatest solution for the only EV that currently can be flat-towed sounds like an awfully long wait.
Since Rivian is making it towable, my guess is they have either done this themselves, or are working with others to make a tow bar and compatible electronics.

StevieD

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Most likely they’re working with other manufacturers to realize interoperability between the two vehicles. Including diesel and hydraulic brake systems. I’m waiting to replace my red RAM Longhorn with a red (hopefully) R1T!

Rivian R1T R1S R1S flat towing behind an RV? 690AE0D0-FC8C-4948-B7D6-A41C77A9F2D4

Rivian R1T R1S R1S flat towing behind an RV? FCF9CA63-6420-4C79-8632-C81FCB8462C7

Rivian R1T R1S R1S flat towing behind an RV? ABF2D9B0-7341-498A-BFC3-94E558663067

Rivian R1T R1S R1S flat towing behind an RV? D1F64AFD-928D-47DC-AC57-CF6800CB2A06

JLiz5

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mercedes GLE350, 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Sales
Hello Everyone,
Just joined the forum and just put a deposit on an R1S.
Very nice rig StevieD!
I did a chat yesterday with a CS rep Rivian about this subject as I too wanted a Rivian to be my toad. I was told under no circumstances could any Rivian be flat towed , I wish I had copied the response to provide you all their reasons why, direct connection to the motors and inverter damage are two that stuck In my mind. Being quite disappointed with this news I started searching other EV options for flat towing only to be further disappointed, it appears EVs do not lend themselves to flat towing for the same reasons Rivian has eluded to.
I have seen a number of complaints about the Inconsistencies of info coming from Rivian’s CS reps, until I see something in writing that clearly states Rivian vehicles can be flat towed I’m looking for a new Jeep, we’ll keep the R1S as my wife’s vehicle.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Hello Everyone,
Just joined the forum and just put a deposit on an R1S.
Very nice rig StevieD!
I did a chat yesterday with a CS rep Rivian about this subject as I too wanted a Rivian to be my toad. I was told under no circumstances could any Rivian be flat towed , I wish I had copied the response to provide you all their reasons why, direct connection to the motors and inverter damage are two that stuck In my mind. Being quite disappointed with this news I started searching other EV options for flat towing only to be further disappointed, it appears EVs do not lend themselves to flat towing for the same reasons Rivian has eluded to.
I have seen a number of complaints about the Inconsistencies of info coming from Rivian’s CS reps, until I see something in writing that clearly states Rivian vehicles can be flat towed I’m looking for a new Jeep, we’ll keep the R1S as my wife’s vehicle.
This would be a deal breaker for me.

My family will need at least 1 ice vehicle until EVs are flat towable.

This is frustrating given that people have been posting how the Rivian is in fact flat towable for months.

Sponsored

JLiz5

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mercedes GLE350, 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Sales

This is frustrating given that people have been posting how the Rivian is in fact flat towable for months.

I share your frustration, I too saw the posts saying Rivian could be flat towed. I hope Rivian monitors these forums and finds a way to set the record straight.

OP
OP

socaladam

First Name
Aj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
nocomment
If the R1S cannot be flat towed behind a motorhome, I'm not buying one.

Rivian, hope you're listening to this because from the posts I've seen, you've just lost $1M in sales combined from all the people who would have bought but changed their mind because you won't allow flat tow.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas

Rivian, hope you're listening to this because from the posts I've seen, you've just lost $1M in sales combined from all the people who would have bought but changed their mind because you won't allow flat tow.
That's what, 15 trucks? If that's all they lose, I don't think they'll notice.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S

It could easily cost them well over $1M to implement flat towing capabilities. Flat towing requires a transmission disconnect, and the Rivian doesn't have a "transmission" It would likely require a mechanical means of disconnecting all 4 motors from their respective drive wheels. This would add a bunch of weight, cost and complexity to a relatively simple system to meet the needs of a very small percentage of their prospective customers.

As much as Rivian would like to make a vehicle for everyone's needs, it ain't gonna happen. They will balance the set of features that will allow efficient production and meet their price point.

As much as rock crawling 40" tires, a removable T-Top or flat towing are "must haves" for some, 98+% of the buyers want/need none of those.

For those that assumed the ability to tow charge also meant that the vehicles could be flat towed, it may indeed mean moving on.

They will "lose" some sales because the R1T bed is too short, it doesn't have Carplay, can't use the Tesla Supercharger network, doesn't use Lidar, can't fit 40" Tires, can't fit 18" wheels, no 400+ miles R1S, hard to mount a winch on the front, no bed step, no powered liftgate, etc. etc etc.

They are designing a series of products for a certain set of customers. Not everyone will be in that set. There is no perfect vehicle out there for me (or likely anyone else). When I get a chance to touch/see/feel/drive the R1T I will then decide whether it checks enough other boxes to offset the inevitable compromises from my "perfect" match.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
It could easily cost them well over $1M to implement flat towing capabilities. Flat towing requires a transmission disconnect, and the Rivian doesn't have a "transmission" It would likely require a mechanical means of disconnecting all 4 motors from their respective drive wheels. This would add a bunch of weight, cost and complexity to a relatively simple system to meet the needs of a very small percentage of their prospective customers.

As much as Rivian would like to make a vehicle for everyone's needs, it ain't gonna happen. They will balance the set of features that will allow efficient production and meet their price point.

As much as rock crawling 40" tires, a removable T-Top or flat towing are "must haves" for some, 98+% of the buyers want/need none of those.

For those that assumed the ability to tow charge also meant that the vehicles could be flat towed, it may indeed mean moving on.

They will "lose" some sales because the R1T bed is too short, it doesn't have Carplay, can't use the Tesla Supercharger network, doesn't use Lidar, can't fit 40" Tires, can't fit 18" wheels, no 400+ miles R1S, hard to mount a winch on the front, no bed step, no powered liftgate, etc. etc etc.

They are designing a series of products for a certain set of customers. Not everyone will be in that set. There is no perfect vehicle out there for me (or likely anyone else). When I get a chance to touch/see/feel/drive the R1T I will then decide whether it checks enough other boxes to offset the inevitable compromises from my "perfect" match.
Why would they have to disconnect the motors from the wheels? Why would they want to?
Sponsored