First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Toyota Tundra 21
Occupation
Portfolio Management
First I have to say I do love this forum. Very helpful in so many ways...

I haven't seen anything on this topic and after speaking to RIVIAN they didn't have much confidence in their answer so hear goes.. This winter I plan on doing a bit of back country skiing that will take me pretty deep in the forest at times.. Cold mornings and crisp afternoons so how much load can I put on the plug? looking to rough it and plug in an electric blanket! A coffee maker... and an electric stove to cook..

I could and must likely will do this in my driveway prior but would sure like to hear others experiences, battery drain, potential for overloading.... etc etc... In my home if I pull too much the breaker will stop further use... I can always to flip it back..

Out and about what would happen if I pulled too much? blow a fuse and what else might that be associated with? Would really like to know in advance as being stuck out in the middle of nowhere might be undesirable..

Thanks for any response and look forward to hear your successes and what concerns you fell I could have..

Thanks!!!
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

First I have to say I do love this forum. Very helpful in so many ways...

I haven't seen anything on this topic and after speaking to RIVIAN they didn't have much confidence in their answer so hear goes.. This winter I plan on doing a bit of back country skiing that will take me pretty deep in the forest at times.. Cold mornings and crisp afternoons so how much load can I put on the plug? looking to rough it and plug in an electric blanket! A coffee maker... and an electric stove to cook..

I could and must likely will do this in my driveway prior but would sure like to hear others experiences, battery drain, potential for overloading.... etc etc... In my home if I pull too much the breaker will stop further use... I can always to flip it back..

Out and about what would happen if I pulled too much? blow a fuse and what else might that be associated with? Would really like to know in advance as being stuck out in the middle of nowhere might be undesirable..

Thanks for any response and look forward to hear your successes and what concerns you fell I could have..

Thanks!!!
The manual states 1500 W max on the 120V outlets.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Running a space heater overnight in cold temps in my camper shell costs me about 5% battery, other cooking loads etc will be negligible for the most part. Now that I have my camper shell doing much more of the same this winter, if you look for me you will probably see me at the snoparks down the hill sometime this winter.

Outlet can output 1500W. In your scenario an electric blanket uses about 100W (probably less on average over time), most electric stoves don't use much more than 1500W but some do in the highest settings.

OP
OP
Litup

Litup

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Toyota Tundra 21
Occupation
Portfolio Management
Awesome .... thanks for the reply... I'll have to camp in my driveway and see how much I can use and the drain.... but sounds great!

I'll keep my eye out for ya!

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs

When I asked support chat about per outlet vs total draw they were very direct: don't exceed 1500w in any combination. One appliance in one outlet or across multiple outlets. Extension cords can add resistance, or a power strip can add more outlets.

Two AC outlets on the platform doesn't mean 3000w possible. 1500w total.

Your driveway test is the right thing to do.

Sponsored

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

I agree that the driveway test is important! For example, in June shortly after taking delivery of my R1S, I tried a driveway test and discovered that the 120V outlets in my vehicle wouldn't even turn on.

It took 4.5 months to get a service appointment. It is currently in for that appointment...they've had it for almost two weeks now, and I'm still not sure when I'm going to get it back. Or if it will work when I get it.

So yeah, try it first! :)