Sponsored

VGA

First Name
Vikas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
They installed yesterday at the service center as part of a previously scheduled appointment for a misaligned liftgate.

As promised, it was $450 for the spare kit + $40 labor + tax for a pre-March 1st pre-order.

I was able to cancel the separate mobile service appt. they had scheduled for the spare tire.
hi...quick question...i have my appointment for next week...how long does the mobile service guys take to install this? and do they drill a hole into the frame to install? thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
hi...quick question...i have my appointment for next week...how long does the mobile service guys take to install this? and do they drill a hole into the frame to install? thanks
They did mine during another scheduled service center appoint so I don't know. Also not sure about the drilling but I know there was a tie-down strap already installed when we bought it.

VGA

First Name
Vikas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
They did mine during another scheduled service center appoint so I don't know. Also not sure about the drilling but I know there was a tie-down strap already installed when we bought it.
Thank you

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Takes about 15 minutes, no holes all bolt in. No door stickers replaced. Had mine done yesterday. The liner is 2 pieces, they replace the front piece for one with a cutoff, then screw in a bracket for the anchor screw.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S compact spare now available for order. IMG_9383
Rivian R1T R1S R1S compact spare now available for order. IMG_9385

VGA

First Name
Vikas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Takes about 15 minutes, no holes all bolt in. No door stickers replaced. Had mine done yesterday. The liner is 2 pieces, they replace the front piece for one with a cutoff, then screw in a bracket for the anchor screw.

IMG_9383.jpeg
IMG_9385.jpeg
super helpful....thank you

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

jkahlon

First Name
Jag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Lexus GX470, RX350
Occupation
Engineer
IS the tire jack they provide workable or are we better off buying a more robust one, also any recommendations.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
IS the tire jack they provide workable or are we better off buying a more robust one, also any recommendations.
It looks decent, no longer has the plastic puck and has the top of the jack built to go into the lift spot. Has a couple pieces of metal to be used as tire chocks, seems like a decent kit.

That being said, I did buy a set of pucks, a 4 ton bottle Jack, breaker bar and 22mm socket to put in the vehicle as well.

jkahlon

First Name
Jag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Lexus GX470, RX350
Occupation
Engineer
@SANZC02 thanks for the input on the jack, yes I did buy the socket, breaker bar and torque wrench, went for the Dewalt 1/2 inch kit(DWMT45012) - it includes a 22mm socket. Getting the spare a week or so out.

Sponsored

madugula

First Name
Bhas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

Please advice if compact spare tire for R1S is worth? I am not pre-order pricing.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Please advice if compact spare tire for R1S is worth? I am not pre-order pricing.
That all depends on how tolerant you are if you get a flat. The tire comes with the tool kit to change the tire, also comes with mounting hardware so not just the tire.

I have not had a flat in over 30 years, have had a Tesla for over 7 years with no spare and no place for a spare. I still purchased the R1S spare just for insurance and hope I never need it.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

When we first bought a Tesla, with no spare, my wife insisted that we get one. We found Modern Spare spare and also bought a set of Tesla pucks. Its never been used in 5 yrs.

We just got the compact spare for R1S, and for no other reason than an insurance just in case. Also, unless you want to mount/carry full size spare, there is no alternative.

Unlike SANZC02 above, I've picked up a nail or two on every vehicle I've owned but Tesla and Rivian (only 4 months old). I feel like I'm just lucky currently and who knows when the luck runs out...

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
When we first bought a Tesla, with no spare, my wife insisted that we get one. We found Modern Spare spare and also bought a set of Tesla pucks. Its never been used in 5 yrs.

We just got the compact spare for R1S, and for no other reason than an insurance just in case. Also, unless you want to mount/carry full size spare, there is no alternative.

Unlike SANZC02 above, I've picked up a nail or two on every vehicle I've owned but Tesla and Rivian (only 4 months old). I feel like I'm just lucky currently and who knows when the luck runs out...
Curious, did the nails require a roadside tire change?

I have picked up nails and screws over the years but have been able to drive to a tire shop to have them patched. My reference to over 30 years was the last time I actually had to change a tire on the side of the road.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Curious, did the nails require a roadside tire change?

I have picked up nails and screws over the years but have been able to drive to a tire shop to have them patched. My reference to over 30 years was the last time I actually had to change a tire on the side of the road.
Twice I needed a roadside (AAA).

First time, we were on a family road trip in Santa Cruz, where we put a space saver spare on a XC90 and had the tire fixed at the local Costco. Another time on Jaguar, when ran over a tire rod on the freeway that another vehicle kicked over by running over it. Could to avoid and tore the sidewall of the tire.

On our Mini Cooper, that came with run flat tires, it saved us when my wife picked up a nail at her work parking lot and drove home 40 miles. She didn't know until the TPMS came on during the drive. Did replace the entire set since the vehicle had a space saver spare and I hated the run flat's road noise.

I'm very diligent about tire pressure, rotation and replacements as the old cliche goes, that's where the rubber meets the road. When I've noticed slow leak due to a nail, clearly it gets fixed before any real mishaps and don't need a spare.
Sponsored