Sponsored

Hitch Mounted Spare Tire Carrier

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
Any R1S (or potentially R1T) owners purchased a hitch-mounted spare tire carrier yet? If so, any recommendations?

Also, any existing R1S owners willing to measure the hitch for me to see if there's at least 4 and 1/2 inches from the hitch pin hole towards the front of the vehicle?

I should be able to do so on my own in a couple weeks, if my scheduled delivery date is not missed.

UPDATE: Wilco says the recessed nature of the hitch means their product will not work on a Rivian.

So, I'm now considering this one: https://www.rigdsupply.com/products/rigd-ultraswing-multi-fit-spare-tire-hitch-carrier

I was considering a version (standard or high clearance) of this: https://wilcooffroad.com/products/hitchgate-solo , which requires a Class III receiver.

I reached out to Wilco and asked for their thoughts. They sent me the attached Fitment Checklist.

Rivian's website says the S is a Class V receiver https://rivian.com/support/article/what-type-of-tow-hitch-do-rivian-vehicles-come-with

Whereas the Owner's Guide says it's a Class IV https://rivian.com/support/article/r1s-owners-guide

Difference in Classes seems to relate to tongue weight and trailer weight, so may not matter for my use case.

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch Mounted Spare Tire Carrier 1676570666261

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch Mounted Spare Tire Carrier 1676571097758
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's way more than 1" behind the bumper.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
You might want to check this one out.

Installed on an R1T, but at some point in the video mentions that the swing out will fit on an R1S.

Cueball121

First Name
Abraham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited, 2016 Hyunda
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Any R1S (or potentially R1T) owners purchased a hitch-mounted spare tire carrier yet? If so, any recommendations?

Also, any existing R1S owners willing to measure the hitch for me to see if there's at least 4 and 1/2 inches from the hitch pin hole towards the front of the vehicle?

I should be able to do so on my own in a couple weeks, if my scheduled delivery date is not missed.

UPDATE: Wilco says the recessed nature of the hitch means their product will not work on a Rivian.

So, I'm now considering this one: https://www.rigdsupply.com/products/rigd-ultraswing-multi-fit-spare-tire-hitch-carrier

I was considering a version (standard or high clearance) of this: https://wilcooffroad.com/products/hitchgate-solo , which requires a Class III receiver.

I reached out to Wilco and asked for their thoughts. They sent me the attached Fitment Checklist.

Rivian's website says the S is a Class V receiver https://rivian.com/support/article/what-type-of-tow-hitch-do-rivian-vehicles-come-with

Whereas the Owner's Guide says it's a Class IV https://rivian.com/support/article/r1s-owners-guide

Difference in Classes seems to relate to tongue weight and trailer weight, so may not matter for my use case.

1676570666261.png

1676571097758.png
I was just reading a couple posts for a full spare hitch for the R1S. Looking for something that can hold the spare and a bike rack. Wilco seems like a good product, too bad it's not going to fit. Did you have any luck with the Rig'd?

OP
OP
BrentInCO

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was just reading a couple posts for a full spare hitch for the R1S. Looking for something that can hold the spare and a bike rack. Wilco seems like a good product, too bad it's not going to fit. Did you have any luck with the Rig'd?
At the time, Rigd also said they didn't have a product. Since, then, I think I've seen others post on this forum that Rigd is producing something. I'm no longer in the market though, as I ended up using a (more complicated, less costly) solution / idea presented in this thread: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/r1s-spare-tire-hitch-mount-options.17836/

Sponsored

Cueball121

First Name
Abraham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

OK. Thank you for the link.
I see, but it looks like you can only attach one at a time.
I was hoping for tire + towing or tire + bike rack.

Last edited:

909phillyman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

OK. Thank you for the link.
I see, but it looks like you can only attach one at a time.
I was hoping for tire + towing or tire + bike rack.
The solution discussed in the thread that @BrentInCO posted includes the main component of that solution, which is the Kuat Pivot v2 swing out. Conceivably, if you could find a different standalone spare tire carrier (different from the eTrailer carrier that I presented in that thread) that has a passthrough, then you could pair that with the Kuat swing out. But IF you were able to find a spare tire carrier/mount with that feature, you would also need to make sure that you are within the Kuat's load rating when attaching that carrier/mount.

Cueball121

First Name
Abraham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The solution discussed in the thread that @BrentInCO posted includes the main component of that solution, which is the Kuat Pivot v2 swing out. Conceivably, if you could find a different standalone spare tire carrier (different from the eTrailer carrier that I presented in that thread) that has a passthrough, then you could pair that with the Kuat swing out. But IF you were able to find a spare tire carrier/mount with that feature, you would also need to make sure that you are within the Kuat's load rating when attaching that carrier/mount.
Yeah, makes sense. I'm paying attention to load ratings as well now. And at first glance of your Kuat swing arm, I thought the lower extension was a pass thru, but it looks like it holds the tensioner bolt?
This may explain why the specific solutions from wilco and rig'd are mich more expensive, maybe stronger/more capable do-it-all mounting solutions. I don't have much storage space in/around the house, so if I could get a spare tire solution that I could leave on permanently, that's easy to swing out, and still have the option for the bike rack and/or towing, that would be ideal. Also thinking then we don't need the compact spare, which leaves more storage space inside.

Thanks for your contributions in that other post, very informative.

Mcscoots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T quad motor large battery
It's not quite the same thing, but the Rigd rambleswing fits the Rivian. I'm pretty sure it has the same dimensions as the ultraswing, but one should probably double check that before buying anything!

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch Mounted Spare Tire Carrier PXL_20240106_001204715~2

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

SpiderRoofRack has one for the R1T, not Sure if they have one yet for S.
DirtCom also has one for the R1T, they said they would be doing one for the S but no news recently that I've seen

Sponsored

alanjohnwilliams

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It's not quite the same thing, but the Rigd rambleswing fits the Rivian. I'm pretty sure it has the same dimensions as the ultraswing, but one should probably double check that before buying anything!

PXL_20240106_001204715~2.jpg
@Mcscoots, how long of an extension does RambleSwing add? I’m wondering if I can drop the tailgate with 1up rack attached.

gtrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Rigd is now making an UltraSwing that is supposed to fit Rivians. I emailed customer service and they said they were doing an initial run that they could get me in on, ordered about a month ago and just came in the mail yesterday. Going to try to set up today. will let you know how it goes.

gtrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
installed - went fairly smoothly.
Seems like quite a high quickly swing carrier. Pricy ($1699). Has a lot of options to attach mods which I may consider in the future.
Impotantly, the tailgate will fold completely flat with the tire swung out. Feels very solid.

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch Mounted Spare Tire Carrier 1711221756952-mf

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch Mounted Spare Tire Carrier 1711221728072-lv

OP
OP
BrentInCO

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
installed - went fairly smoothly.
Seems like quite a high quickly swing carrier. Pricy ($1699). Has a lot of options to attach mods which I may consider in the future.
Impotantly, the tailgate will fold completely flat with the tire swung out. Feels very solid.

1711221756952-mf.jpg

1711221728072-lv.jpg
I almost bought one, too, but they said my bike rack and 2 e-bikes exceed the 125 lb weight limit on their additional hitch. I’m waiting for Wilco Off-road to get back to me now.

1) Full size Rivian 20" spare wheel and tire ~86 lbs +
2) 1UpUSA Super Duty Double bike rack weight ~50 lbs +
3) e-bike weight of ~65 lbs x2
= grand total of 266 lbs.

ChuckL

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
thanks for the update here, was waiting for this.
which version of the ultraswing is the one to order?
Sponsored