Sponsored

R1S changes / improvements from 2023 and on?

MrFester

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Frontier
So, since I am a bit of a realistic person. I am expecting to see my R1S around 2023 time frame. My main question is do you think that Rivian will continue to improve on hardware internal to the product lineup. Meaning if you get a R1S in 2022 it should be different from the 2023/24 vin model. New screens, new cpu's, different tires, etc, maybe a new color option?
Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

So, since I am a bit of a realistic person. I am expecting to see my R1S around 2023 time frame. My main question is do you think that Rivian will continue to improve on hardware internal to the product lineup. Meaning if you get a R1S in 2022 it should be different from the 2023/24 vin model. New screens, new cpu's, different tires, etc, maybe a new color option?
I don't expect any significant changes hardware wise, but I see a lot of big improvements relating to software.
If the cameras are actually as bad as it has been stated and not just a codec/rendering issue then expect those to get better.
I would doubt captains chair would be added in that time, but happy to be proven wrong.
Maybe they'll add 30 more cupholders?!??! ?

OP
OP
MrFester

MrFester

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Frontier
I don't expect any significant changes hardware wise, but I see a lot of big improvements relating to software.
If the cameras are actually as bad as it has been stated and not just a codec/rendering issue then expect those to get better.
I would doubt captains chair would be added in that time, but happy to be proven wrong.
Maybe they'll add 30 more cupholders?!??! ?

More Cup holders are always a plus. haha

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
I doubt you'll see anything on a preorder car that isn't also updated to earlier cars. Once they finish preorders they'll likely make upgrades that can't be patched.

Sponsored

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

IMO improvements for the first 50k-100k or more vehicles will be very limited. All of the components are designed and anything manufactured externally has been ordered in massive quantities. Any changes to those components will happen slowly and only as supplies are used up, even then, they have to be specified and deigned by Rivian engineers then sent out to suppliers for proposal. Those proposals then get negotiated, mock-ups created, then the mock-ups evaluated, then the contracts and specifications are reviewed again. This process literally takes years.

What’s possible is that some new options will come available that are effectively plug and play with the existing design. Smaller battery packs, fwd option, electrochromatic roof, new interior colors, etc. Those are possible.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

it'll depend also on their approach to model years. if they stick to traditional model year approach then we probably won't see any significant changes in the next 2-3 model years. if they approach it more like Tesla, we likely will see incremental improvements but could possibly see significant changes and improvements. i'm hoping for the latter.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Since Rivian has copied and taken much of Tesla's approach in many areas, it they follow in this area, then the updates will be introduced when ready with no real regards to the model year. Tesla vehicle year is determined by the year it was made rather than traditional mfg style of introducing next year's model around September of current year.

In terms of your original question, as already mentioned, do expect OTA sw updates. My 2018 Model 3 does far more things than when purchased. I believe HW will change as they find better sources and lower cost elements. Additionally, if they find some inherent design issue, they'll incorporate the fix as soon as possible, I believe, just as Tesla does them now.

Peter del Rio

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3 rex, Jaguar XKR, Land Rover LR3
Combined Charging Systems (CCS) to use for bi-directional charging to employ the R1S as a battery backup.

Think of it, Tesla Powerwall batteries store 13 kW so the R1S is really 10 Powerwalls on wheels at 1/2 the price.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Combined Charging Systems (CCS) to use for bi-directional charging to employ the R1S as a battery backup.

Think of it, Tesla Powerwall batteries store 13 kW so the R1S is really 10 Powerwalls on wheels at 1/2 the price.
Bi-directional charging will come without any hardware changes, and RJ discussed this in the round table last summer. It's part of the standard and should be easy for them to implement. Even the ID.4 is implementing it through a software update next year.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
That’s just an add on cable though. no changes to the vehicle hardware.

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
Given the backlog they have to fill in '22 and '23, I highly doubt any functional HW changes will be coming. I expect that they will improve some of the parts based on what they learn during the initial manufacturing builds to improve the manufacturability and try to address some parts that show up as failing frequently (tonneau perhaps). Beyond that, I don't envision them adding something new to the platform until well into '24.
Sponsored