OP
Kelvn

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Update:

I my friend printed me the center post for the original 62mm height so i was able to test. My R1S has been in service for minor things but I just got my hands on an R1S loaner from the SC. It looks like a very old revision of the R1S, the trunk rails are different, it has 4 tie downs, Meridian sound, and 12V sockets in dash and under hood. My Rivian is a June/July 2023 build so I have two examples to test with.

Good news is they fit both builds. The center post fixed my weight/flexing issue (weight in respect to trunk floor load capacity, i still have some weight issues around my waste). I am happy with the outcome. I put my body weight on the floor and shifted my weight up and down and felt absolutely no flex, I'm 200lbs for reference. The center post lip comes up and over the floor sections to aid in alignment, this has about 1mm of clearance to ensure the weight is put into the original floor support and not the lip by the tailgate.

Something to keep in mind is these risers are not clipped in without the floor so when maneuvering the floor in they can shift or move. When the floor is in everything gets locked into place.

A tip when putting the floor in, instead of lining up the forward section where the floor meets the 3rd row first then lowering the rearward section by the tailgate per usual, it is easier if you do it in reverse by lining up the rearward section onto the Riser first then lower into the 3rd row section. This is because you can use the floor to line up each of the risers before lowering the floor fully into place.

Also note: these are the original 62mm height ones, The 57mm height that the latest revision are will be a better height. I'll still be getting my hands on Rob's revisions as my final set to replace the original 62mm proof of concept models.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution IMG_5857
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution IMG_5859
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution IMG_5856

OP
OP
Kelvn

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Pictures to aid in my descriptions

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution Screenshot 2024-01-31 152807

1mm gap between Riser and Plastic lip

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution Screenshot 2024-01-31 153028

Once risers are in place
Step 1: Pull floor onto risers as shown in red
Step 2: Push floor down onto green.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Quick update on my end as of this evening:

Everyone who placed on order for a set, has one either delivered or on the way. The only two exceptions are for both individuals who placed orders on Sunday. I have these printed but have somehow ran through my expected allotment of bolts. :)

These are likely going to be in the newsletter which is scheduled for Thursday. There are a couple thousand Rivian owners on it, and I tend to get deluged a bit when announcing a new product, so I'd suggest if you want one, you should place your order before then. I've been printing these basically non-stop for the last week, and I do have stock. (bolts will be here tomorrow)

I am looking into black bolts and nuts for these are they are visible in the installed product. Tentatively, they will be 4MM allen key though (as that is all that is available in bulk at 55MM in black) I just think they will blend in much better. As soon as I have an update on that, I'll post here and update the page. As is customary when I make a substantive change like this, I'll reach out to folks about an optional upgrade. (likely cost + shipping here)

I've also really be dialing in the quality on these too. Initially, I rejected waaay more than I hoped to because the finish on the top wasn't up to snuff. I'm pretty sure I caught them all before they went out, but if it's not as good as you hope, please reach out via the Contact Us page on the site. I'll post a picture of them tomorrow for reference.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kelvn

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That's great! I removed my storage organizer for a deeper subfloor so I never thought to store it there. Looking forward to seeing what people think.

ajthejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S,‘19 Tundra 1794,‘19 XC90
Clubs

Quick update on my end as of this evening:

Everyone who placed on order for a set, has one either delivered or on the way. The only two exceptions are for both individuals who placed orders on Sunday. I have these printed but have somehow ran through my expected allotment of bolts. :)

These are likely going to be in the newsletter which is scheduled for Thursday. There are a couple thousand Rivian owners on it, and I tend to get deluged a bit when announcing a new product, so I'd suggest if you want one, you should place your order before then. I've been printing these basically non-stop for the last week, and I do have stock. (bolts will be here tomorrow)

I am looking into black bolts and nuts for these are they are visible in the installed product. Tentatively, they will be 4MM allen key though (as that is all that is available in bulk at 55MM in black) I just think they will blend in much better. As soon as I have an update on that, I'll post here and update the page. As is customary when I make a substantive change like this, I'll reach out to folks about an optional upgrade. (likely cost + shipping here)

I've also really be dialing in the quality on these too. Initially, I rejected waaay more than I hoped to because the finish on the top wasn't up to snuff. I'm pretty sure I caught them all before they went out, but if it's not as good as you hope, please reach out via the Contact Us page on the site. I'll post a picture of them tomorrow for reference.
Received mine. They look and work great! Will test them with my dog on her bed to see if there are any issues.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Got mine today. Tried it out.

Two items.

1) Recommend using a lock tight type (with plastic inside) of nut or lock washer so that opening and closing doesn't loosen the nut over time.

2) the center piece is bit short - with load, its fine.

It's much lighter than expected. Otherwise its good.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 13.01.51

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 13.01.34

OP
OP
Kelvn

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

Two items.

1) Recommend using a lock tight type (with plastic inside) of nut or lock washer so that opening and closing doesn't loosen the nut over time.

I received the OpensourceEV versions last night too and I had the same observations:

Regarding weight, it is lighter than my prototypes but my prototypes might have been overkill, they were triangular 25% infill.

Item 2: I noticed this with the opensource ones and then I went back to my originals and noticed it had similar effect. the risers are all the same height, what makes it seem too short is the fact that when the floor rotates from ramp to flat, it actually extends a little further than the original resting position due to the arc it travels through. On top of that, the resting area is also actually ramped slightly, the top edge and the bottom edge are 2mm apart.

What seems to be happening is when you set the floor in place, the floor pushes back the risers about 5mm causing the L corners to pivot up the middle section, raising the whole floor slightly such that the center is not not touching.

When you put weight on it, it then forces the corners back down to flat, the "side effect" being that now the corner guides are gripping the floor tighter, you'll notice that without load, the floor can still move a little fore and aft, but when you load it up, the corners grab tight and nothing moves.

See sketch below for some graphical explanation and some math behind it, math might be off in the ideal world, but the approximation is enough for the practical.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution riser math

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

Two items.

1) This unfortunately is not going to work. Early prototypes had this. Due to the amount of recessing the nut needs, it was either a) use the ASA material to hold it in place, or B) enlarge the recess allowing a socket around the nut. The former was an issue due to the tapered edges deforming the material easily, and the latter wasn't a good option as this led to overtightening and higher warranty claims and as this, in general, is designed to be printed at home and nut agnostic. (hence the larger recess in general for broader compatibility) A square nut was chosen because it met the requirements, was broadly available at home improvement stores, and was of reasonable cost. (and I've been asked a few times for black hardware)

2) We've talked about this and it will be a running revision to the product, implemented soon.

25% infill for this is a bit overkill. I believe these are produced at 15% Rectilinear. I've found this to be a sweet-spot on many product combined with a 3 outside layer construction. The top of this is actually 4 to ensure a good finish.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

1) This unfortunately is not going to work. Early prototypes had this. Due to the amount of recessing the nut needs, it was either a) use the ASA material to hold it in place, or B) enlarge the recess allowing a socket around the nut. The former was an issue due to the tapered edges deforming the material easily, and the latter wasn't a good option as this led to overtightening and higher warranty claims and as this, in general, is designed to be printed at home and nut agnostic. (hence the larger recess in general for broader compatibility) A square nut was chosen because it met the requirements, was broadly available at home improvement stores, and was of reasonable cost. (and I've been asked a few times for black hardware)

2) We've talked about this and it will be a running revision to the product, implemented soon.

25% infill for this is a bit overkill. I believe these are produced at 15% Rectilinear. I've found this to be a sweet-spot on many product combined with a 3 outside layer construction. The top of this is actually 4 to ensure a good finish.
Thanks for the reply.

Question on item 2). Will you be sending out the revised center piece once its all worked out to those with irregular fit?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Thanks for the reply.

Question on item 2). Will you be sending out the revised center piece once its all worked out to those with irregular fit?
I will not be automatically sending them out.

My plan is the change, once verified, will be made as a running update to the existing model. It will be offered as a replacement part should people need to purchase a replacement.

Existing owners before the change will be contacted and provided with a coupon code to make the part cost $0. You'll then have to choose if you need or want the updated part and place an order for it.

perrochon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Do you mind sharing the details on this fridge? Does it run all the time? I'm looking for a permanently on fridge option for my R1S
You can enable the outlets and run a fridge all the time.

It's no problem when driving (apart from remembering to keep the outlets on)

It is relatively expensive in terms of battery impact if you have to keep the car awake just for the fridge.

It works well on road trips, but less well camping for a week in the boonies. You may want a dumb external battery for that.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Quick update on a few items:

Below is the updated center section that we're starting to rollout. @Kelvn can confirm, but it's about 5MM more offset for a slightly better fit. We'll contact folks who do not have this when we add it into the replacement parts area, per what was outlined in a previous post. Photos:

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution 1708115029989
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution 1708115065942

Additionally, we transitioned to using black fasteners. We made the move because they are shown. These also have a bit of a larger head, so it required an enlargement to taped section where it sits. Here is what that looks like:

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution 1708115630762

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution 1708115729713

Both updates are shipping now. This product went out in the newsletter earlier this week, and we're diligently rolling through orders with these.
Sponsored