First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
Just wondering if the R1S is just as capable as the R1T offroad.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Just wondering if the R1S is just as capable as the R1T offroad.
My guess is as good and possibly better.

It is the same drive train but shorter vehicle and shorter wheelbase. That gives it advantages in three of the categories (Approach, Departure, and Rollover)

Rivian R1T R1S R1S capability vs R1T offroad? 1633588909319

Rivian R1T R1S R1S capability vs R1T offroad? 1633588925493

Viperssd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Audi Q7, Tesla Model 3
This ^
The R1S will be better with a shorter wheelbase and a shorter rear overhang. However, the lack of a full size spare is a really big disadvantage.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It will be better in some ways and worse in others. It depends on what type of off-roading you do. High-speed desert running, for example, will benefit from the longer wheelbase on the R1T.

People saying one is always better than another are grossly over-simplifying it.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
This ^
The R1S will be better with a shorter wheelbase and a shorter rear overhang. However, the lack of a full size spare is a really big disadvantage.
I've kind of like the idea that I won't be lugging the full size spare about for highway driving- saves weight, battery space, range, etc. For off road trips attach a Yakima tire carrier to the rack or one of those foldable hitch mounted spare carriers.

Works for me but there's always trade offs...

Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
The shorter wheelbase and better attack angles are _exactly_ why I chose it for my use here in Colorado. Not only off-roading (mostly light trails, nothing extreme like the event in Breck) but also driving around in the snow I think it will be better. That was certainly my experience when I had my Xterra versus the F-150/Silverado (or even Tahoe) that some friends drive.

Chris S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Model 3 Perf, '19 MX-5 Club, '22 Model Y Perf
Occupation
REALTOR
I was interested in the R1S for better maneuverability in tight spots and its better breakover angle, but the lack of a FS spare has me opting for the R1T instead.

OP
OP

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
I was interested in the R1S for better maneuverability in tight spots and its better breakover angle, but the lack of a FS spare has me opting for the R1T instead.
Yeah, a full spare has to be considered essential equipment in any off-road excursion. Seems like a glaring miss on Rivian's part.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Yeah, a full spare has to be considered essential equipment in any off-road excursion. Seems like a glaring miss on Rivian's part.
We're probably months out from all the accessories for the R1S being released but third party roof rack spare holders are cheap. I don't see any happy solution for integrating the space into the vehicle like they did with the R1T. What do you want to lose? Interior cargo space? Seats? Battery?

Chris S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Model 3 Perf, '19 MX-5 Club, '22 Model Y Perf
Occupation
REALTOR
We're probably months out from all the accessories for the R1S being released but third party roof rack spare holders are cheap. I don't see any happy solution for integrating the space into the vehicle like they did with the R1T. What do you want to lose? Interior cargo space? Seats? Battery?
True, but it's terrible for aerodynamics (esp. important on an EV w/ limited charging infrastructure), center of gravity, and the hassle of pulling it down and securing the flat one after the change.

Sponsored

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
If there are tie down points in the rear, with the rear seats down you could strap a fullsize tire down. Not ideal though.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
If the R1S is your choice for off-roading but you want a full size spare, there's a quick and easy solution - spare tire carriers for the receiver are readily avaiable in a number of designs.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S capability vs R1T offroad? 1633661014698

Here's another:
Rivian R1T R1S R1S capability vs R1T offroad? 1633661357366

Last edited:

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

There is so much room in R1S I’d just throw a spare in the back if I’m off-roading. Maybe not ideal if overlanding but a workable option.

For the other 98% of the time the collapsable spare is perfect.
This is exactly what I’m planning to do. For regular road trips the compact spare should be fine. For off-road adventure we’ll lose some cargo space to a full-size spare.

I still need to keep in mind that if I’m not carrying a full-size spare and the compact spare is used then the wheel and flat tire we replace has to go in the cargo area.

I have written before and I’ll keep writing: my biggest concern with the R1S is the lack of a full-size spare for a vehicle targeted at off-road use. I can live without CarPlay, SiriusXM, HUD, and everything else on the wish list. The conventional wisdom is that it is foolish to go off-road without a full-size spare and a lot of clubs will NOT let you participate in driving events without one.