Last edited:

no4bit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX 350H
Occupation
Finance
With the price change and no talk of a max pack for the R1S, I am even more torn between the R1T and R1S. I am debating switching to the R1T (quad motor, max battery pack, AT tires and off road package) and maybe getting the R1S (dual motor, large battery pack, and 21" tires) down the road if we decide to do away with both ICE vehicles. Anyone else torn between the two?

tonys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIS
Occupation
IT
it would not surprise me if they end up ditching the quad option for the R1S… a bit like Tesla eliminated the plaid plus. I have an order for both R1S and the T. If it were not for the extra seat row, I much prefer the truck.

no4bit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX 350H
Occupation
Finance
it would not surprise me if they end up ditching the quad option for the R1S… a bit like Tesla eliminated the plaid plus. I have an order for both R1S and the T. If it were not for the extra seat row, I much prefer the truck.
Are you planning to get both? I like the truck better as well, but the R1S is more family friendly. The third row would come in handy when family is in town.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

So many people not realizing how large a full size tire/wheel is or how heavy they are. The R1 comes with 34" ATs that weigh around 50 lbs. The wheel probably weighs 25 lbs, maybe a bit more. So for those claiming they'd put it on the roof...I doubt you'll be playing around with 75+ lbs going up and down from the roof. Those saying they'll keep it inside the SUV...trace out a 34" circle on your floor and realize just how huge the thing is. I saw the well in the R1T bed open today...it's a mammoth space. A swingout bumper is a possibility, but no one will be making one for awhile...possibly not at all if they don't see a market in it. The racks that only use the hitch will probably be a royal PITA too with the double hatch on the R1S. I would've loved to do the R1S over the R1T, but I'm another that sees a full-size spare as a requirement, so R1T it is. That and the lack of a max pack for R1S solidified my decision.

Sponsored

no4bit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX 350H
Occupation
Finance
So many people not realizing how large a full size tire/wheel is or how heavy they are. The R1 comes with 34" ATs that weigh around 50 lbs. The wheel probably weighs 25 lbs, maybe a bit more. So for those claiming they'd put it on the roof...I doubt you'll be playing around with 75+ lbs going up and down from the roof. Those saying they'll keep it inside the SUV...trace out a 34" circle on your floor and realize just how huge the thing is. I saw the well in the R1T bed open today...it's a mammoth space. A swingout bumper is a possibility, but no one will be making one for awhile...possibly not at all if they don't see a market in it. The racks that only use the hitch will probably be a royal PITA too with the double hatch on the R1S. I would've loved to do the R1S over the R1T, but I'm another that sees a full-size spare as a requirement, so R1T it is. That and the lack of a max pack for R1S solidified my decision.
Thanks for sharing your perspective! The lack of a max pack for R1S makes the R1T a lot more appealing. I wish I would have been able to attend the Denver event today. It would have been awesome to see the trucks in person.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
As someone with a 100-lb, 35" spare on the back of my Toyota, I'm in 100% agreement. Even getting that beast onto the rear carrier is bad enough on a clear, dry day for a tire rotation. Thankfully I haven't had to do it on a muddy trail somewhere. Instead of going to the R1T, I'll likely just fab up a nice aluminum swing-out carrier for the rear.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yeah, a full spare has to be considered essential equipment in any off-road excursion. Seems like a glaring miss on Rivian's part.
I have never gone off road. But, am seriously considering doing that once I get my hands on the R1S. What does one do in the case of multiple flats?

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I have never gone off road. But, am seriously considering doing that once I get my hands on the R1S. What does one do in the case of multiple flats?
I avoid getting multiple flats by being as prepared as I can and by being cautious.

I keep a tire plug kit with my off-road equipment so I can deal with small punctures without using the spare. On one occasion a rock tore through a sidewall meaning the tire couldn’t be patched. After I put the spare on I carefully headed back to pavement and cell service, just in case.

We’re done with off-road driving once we don’t have a spare. Not fun, but potentially way more convenient and safer than continuing on and risking being truly stuck.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I have no experience myself but if you have a choice, going out with a bunch of other Rivians may distribute the risk with more tires available to everyone.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I’m very curious to know the weight of the “default“ 20” wheel option. I know the tires are 48lb(which is of course nominal, tire weights can vary quite a bit).

if anything the wheel beeing in a well in the bed is an advantage, a person could stand on the tailgate and tilt it out.
I would’t want it on a swing out bumper. Too high. And would do the R1S/T any favours visually.

my truck has a door mounted spare that weighs about 85lbs, I wouldn’t want to have to deal with the same scenario but a $1k forged wheel ?
Rivian R1T R1S R1S capability vs R1T offroad? 1647180596712

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I’m very curious to know the weight of the “default“ 20” wheel option. I know the tires are 48lb(which is of course nominal, tire weights can vary quite a bit).
Worth keeping in mind that anyone truly off-roading these things is going to upgrade to LT tires which will be 10-20 lbs heavier too. It's really a shame they made the front brakes so large that 20s are the smallest we can run. I would've preferred 17s or 18s. But at least they're 34" tires, though someone just posted a clip from the manual showing no chains/cables on the 20s though they're allowed on the 21/22s. Meaning no one is going to be fitting 35" tires anytime soon.

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
We're probably months out from all the accessories for the R1S being released but third party roof rack spare holders are cheap. I don't see any happy solution for integrating the space into the vehicle like they did with the R1T. What do you want to lose? Interior cargo space? Seats? Battery?
I agree with you. 98% on road use and 2% use where you need the spare. The weight savings are way more important and you can get a roof rack with a full-size tire for the off-roading days

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

as y'all said miss by Rivian for offroad enthusiasts but makes sense since 95% of R1S owners wont be going offroad.
quick video of Rivian storing a full size spare on a roof rack as another option.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S capability vs R1T offroad? 1647196478539

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Folks might call me a wimp, but when you use the spare, you're done for the day is my rule. Take the safest route to pavement and start prepping for your next adventure.

If you blow out two at once... being prepared for a long wait for roadside assistance is part of the experience:)
Sponsored