First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
This is my first EV, I’m all in, R1T fully loaded. I’m not sure how many of you have already gotten estimates to get their chargers installed, but I reached out to Qmerit and I’m thinking they are overpriced. Now I know that prices and supply’s have gone up. However, their quote was more than twice any other electrician job, and on top of that there is a 12% fee that we pay to Qmerit Im guessing for a finders fee. I don’t know about you, but I’m plenty capable of contacting an electrician and saving $569 just for doing so. My garage is approximately 15 feet from my breaker which is located in my basement. Ok so it’s finished basement and I also need a sub panel because Ohio builders are stupid and build new houses now with 150 amp breakers and filled it completely. I also threw in two gfi outlets on separate circuit, but the quote was $5200. That seems steep. Anybody have some insight?
Sponsored

Attachments

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
This is my first EV, I’m all in, R1T fully loaded. I’m not sure how many of you have already gotten estimates to get their chargers installed, but I reached out to Qmerit and I’m thinking they are overpriced. Now I know that prices and supply’s have gone up. However, their quote was more than twice any other electrician job, and on top of that there is a 12% fee that we pay to Qmerit Im guessing for a finders fee. I don’t know about you, but I’m plenty capable of contacting an electrician and saving $569 just for doing so. My garage is approximately 15 feet from my breaker which is located in my basement. Ok so it’s finished basement and I also need a sub panel because Ohio builders are stupid and build new houses now with 150 amp breakers and filled it completely. I also threw in two gfi outlets on separate circuit, but the quote was $5200. That seems steep. Anybody have some insight?
My quote was high as well, but nowhere near yours; $1,200. My local electrician quoted ~$800.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Crazy
Mine was more simple because I didn't need the subpanel but that is still crazy high especially for Ohio (I'm in NE Ohio)
Mind you this was last year and I already had my charger purchased separately, but this was my estimate and it ended up being less because they didn't need more than 50' of the 100' of Romex 6/2.

Rivian R1T R1S Qmerit 12% fee??? 1634752461998

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
That seems pretty high to me.

I just had solar installed and had to upgrade my 100 amp service to 200 amp service. The charge for the panel upgrade including new panel, all new breakers, patching and painting the stucco, and all permits and inspections was 2500. I can't imagine running a line 15 feet and installing a sub panel would be anymore than that.

I know copper wire is expensive these days but that is a pretty short run. I would certainly get some competing bids.

** Updated the includes above.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
This was mine. Certainly simpler than yours, as my run was only about 10 feet and didn't need the addition of a sub-panel or anything like that. But still...
Rivian R1T R1S Qmerit 12% fee??? Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 12.04.39 PM

Edit to clarify this was through a local electrician, not Qmerit.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I just reconfigured my breaker, added a run across my garage for one hardwired install, added a generator transfer switch and exterior outlet, and a second exterior hardwired installation for about half of that.

OP
OP
Blur1t

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
I just reconfigured my breaker, added a run across my garage for one hardwired install, added a generator transfer switch and exterior outlet, and a second exterior hardwired installation for about half of that.
That is what I had quoted too, but that 12% fee seems like the electrician should have to eat that for the referral, not me paying Qmerit. I am definitely going to find another electrician but wanted to see what the minds on this awesome forum thought.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
That is what I had quoted too, but that 12% fee seems like the electrician should have to eat that for the referral, not me paying Qmerit. I am definitely going to find another electrician but wanted to see what the minds on this awesome forum thought.
looking at your quote, i see what you're saying. Yeah, that's stupid. Qmerit is sending work to electricians, if the Electrician works with Qmerit, they should eat that cost.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I am working with a local electrician to install a NEMA 14-50 plug for now. I am buying the Rivian charge adapter but I will install it myself later (replace the 14-50 plug). It will be a lot cheaper than using QMERIT.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I had a new 200A panel installed a couple years back which involved rewiring from the meter outside to my basement panel location. The cost was around $4000. Seems like a similar project labor wise in order to fish conduit/wires to the garage and wire everything. At the time I had gotten some other quotes that were much higher so in all not surprised by the overall quote.

That said the 12% fee seems rough as other have stated. Get some other quotes which I always recommend they can vary wildly depending on the creativity of who is bidding the project.

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
I am working with a local electrician to install a NEMA 14-50 plug for now. I am buying the Rivian charge adapter but I will install it myself later (replace the 14-50 plug). It will be a lot cheaper than using QMERIT.
Wow

That is serious price gouging, preying on the ignorance of people new to EVs.

My NEMA 14-50 outlet is about 20 feet from my main breaker panel, and 7 years ago I spent I think about $300 having it installed.

There is -nothing- exotic about this circuit or the charger. It is the same circuit you'd install if you wanted an electric stove in your parking space.

I'm sorta reminded of the "digital ready" speakers and speaker wires that were sold to unsuspecting customers in the 80s when CDs came out.

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

I don't know what is available to you; however, my power company (Duke) has a referral program....You fill out a form on-line (installation of a home charger was one of the options) and they provided several vetted contractors. I contacted all three. One of them was over 2.5x more than the one I went with, so I would definitely shop around. I was very happy with the work and, in fact, used them for another job. Duke did not charge anything for the referral service.

As far as knowing what a reasonable price should be, there are a lot of variables. For example, my service is in the basement on the opposite end of the house from where I had it installed in the garage...it was an extremely long run with the the romex costing over $300 (now we did go with a heavier gauge and larger breaker to try to 'future-proof things). He also cut out and replaced sheetrock since I wanted it to be in the center of the wall. However, I did have two panels and both had plenty of space. I came in at $700 + tax.

karma.rules

First Name
Venu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL
Occupation
Software Professional
Good to see fellow Ohio Rivian preorder holder. we can’t wait for our R1T LE and R1S LE :). The quote seems pretty high. A good local electrician is a safe bet. But some basic install stuff also can be done DIY. Lot of youtube helpful diy videos too.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I had a new 200A panel installed a couple years back which involved rewiring from the meter outside to my basement panel location. The cost was around $4000. Seems like a similar project labor wise in order to fish conduit/wires to the garage and wire everything. At the time I had gotten some other quotes that were much higher so in all not surprised by the overall quote.
New panel installed or your service upgraded?
Adding a subpanel to an existing service should be substantially less.

Where you are in the country likely has a huge bearing on these costs. Maybe that cost is normal in your area? In Ohio where OP and I are, $4k is expensive even for upgrading your service from 150A to 200A.
Sponsored